Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Bigger Idiot? (Financial Edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the Bigger Idiot? (Financial Edition)

Candidate #1: my roommate, Mr. Anti-Social. Since he does not have a credit card (various reasons I'm not going to go into), I often order him stuff online. He pays me cash for the item(s), I use my bank credit card, and deposit the cash the next day. He gets his stuff, I help him out, and it costs me nothing. Everyone wins!

Now, usually he orders various computer parts, stuff, or equipment. He's into computers, so that makes sense. But every now and then he orders something that raises my eyebrow, like the time he ordered a cooking knife that probably cost more than all of my knives combined....and yet he barely cooks, other than to make basically the same rather basic dishes for himself all the time. And this is not merely my opinion...he's even SAID that he really doesn't cook. But there he was, paying through the nose for this (admittedly killer) knife. Seemed a waste.

And then, there was tonight. Wherein Mr. Anti-Social had me order him two pairs of sunglasses....for $400!

Okay, I know that I'm a believer in cheap shades, as you can get good stuff for decent prices, but it goes beyond my innate frugality with shades (even though I am a self-admitted sunglass whore). The fact is, Mr. Anti-Social is as close to a vampire as you are ever gonna meet. He's Eastern European, with a Dracula-esque accent to match, he's paler than the average corpse, he's very nocturnal, and about the only time he sees the sun is during his afternoon bike ride to work. And here he is, dropping four bills on two pairs of shades.

Really?!?

Candidate #2: Me! Yep, your very own Jester.

For while my roommate is dropping four Benjamins on shades, I have been convinced to drop over $200 on rum. "But Jester, you love rum!" Yes. Yes I do. But this is far worse than it sounds.

I enjoy many rums that I can acquire, even in the expensive market of the Keys, for anywhere from $40-$100 a bottle or so. Many of then are quite lovely. So for me to be willing to pay more than twice that--$233, to be exact--it would have to be for some amazing rum. And it is....and that's where things turn ugly.

The rum in question is Mount Gay Tricentennial, a limited edition rum the Mount Gay distillery made in 2003 to commemorate their founding 300 years earlier. And when I say "limited," I'm not kidding. This is one of the hardest rums in the world to find. How hard? When my friend Popcorn met one of the Vice Presidents of Mount Gay, Popcorn asked the VP about Tricentennial, and what Popcorn would have to do to get some. To which the VP said, "Listen, if you find a bottle, you let ME know!" To put it simply, this is one do the Holy Grails of rum.

I know what you're thinking. If this is such a great, rare, amazing rum, $233 is a steal for it. And you're right. You are so right that I will tell you right now that if you ever find a bottle of Mount Gay Tricentennial for that price, grab it and RUN! But I'm not paying $233 for a bottle of it.

I'm paying $233 for a sixth of a bottle of it.

One of Popcorn's friends found a bottle of Tricentennial elsewhere in Florida, for the sticker price of $1,400. A few texts went out, one from Popcorn to me--naturally while I was in a bar drinking--and I agreed to become one of the six, as we've come to be called, Knights of the Rum Table.

So at some time this fall, the six of us will gather here in Key West and toast to our good fortune, with one of the rarest runs in the world. And hopefully one of the best. I say "hopefully" because not one of us has ever tasted it. But its reputation, and the fact that its been sitting for ten years, just getting better, lead me to believe it probably is. And no, I'm not sharing. Not even if Keira Knightley showed up in a string bikini and sat in my lap would I share my portion of this bottle.

So, the question remains...which one of us is the bigger idiot, financially speaking? Cast your vote now! And please, weigh in and tell me why you voted the way you did!
    Mr. Anti-Social
    96.30%
    Jester
    3.70%

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I'm going with Mr. Anti-Social.

Why?

Because while $233 for a sixth of a bottle of rum makes me hurt (that would be for any alcohol but I'm cheap and leery of buying alcohol I haven't tasted yet), at the very least you're 1) going to be trying it; 2) it's an admitted interest of yours; 3) you could also claim it as work research; 4) you'll be in good company even if the rum is bad. That could easily be worth the $233.

Dropping $400 on sunglasses that, from your description, he's unlikely to use (I can easily drop $400 on sunglasses but that's for one pair and prescription) or unlikely to use much. That seems a bit more wasteful than paying around $200 for an experience.

Just my 2 cents.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Gotta agree there...I know a guy who's similar to Mr. Anti-Social, loves spending his money, and buys tons of stuff he never will use.

You know that Mitch Hedburg joke about buying a snake bite repair kit? Yeah, my friend bought one of those. I think A-S would too
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Honestly... I have to go with option 3: Neither.

If you can afford the item you want and want it, then you're not an idiot for having it. and there's a thing to be said about paying for quality.

For your roommate, I can understand wanting good shades. My favorite brand of shades is one of the more pricy brands but I like it because the ones I have are marked Z87, which means they meet the standards of safety glasses. So not only do they protect my eyes from UV rays, they protect my eyes from impact too.

Cheap shades don't always offer that.

For you: well my favorite alcohols are NOT cheap. Well except for Manischewitz. But other than that, I'm picky about what I drink. Yes I have turned my nose up at free Budweiser. In fact beer in a can - unless it's imported - can pretty much diaf. And there's been a couple of times where I treated myself to a fine bottle of single malt, to be enjoyed on special nights. and heh, for my graduation gift my BF got me a bottle that, i think i drink maybe 2-3 times a year, or for special occasions.

so i can't say either of you were idiots. i hope you both fully enjoy your purchases.

Comment

Going to go along with PepperElf. Yeah, maybe Mr. AntiSocial will never use those fancy glasses, which could be seen as a bit stupid on his part. But I've got a collection of things I bought and haven't ever used ... I just enjoyed the purchasing (they are all related to fandom of one kind or another, if that matters) and the fact that I've now got them. Maybe he just likes admiring them as they sit on his dresser, LOL.

Unless somebody's spending exceeds their income, or causes them to be unable to afford day-to-day requirements (bills, rent, food, car insurance), I'd hesitate to call them an "idiot" just because they bought something that was really high-priced and/or that they didn't really seem to have a use for.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            I can easily drop $400 on sunglasses but that's for one pair and prescription
            That's not much more than I spent out-of-pocket for my Transition lenses with no-line bifocals ($350 IIRC). Non prescription shades, especially a premium brand can be resold.

But how does the rum taste? What was the occasion?

When Mrs. TGK was expecting, I was browsing for some Dom Pérignon $300 per bottle on up...while mulling how to smuggle that into the hospital I never got the chance as she had a miscarriage.

I'm with Pixilated, as long as you and Mr. Anti-Social are both meeting your expenses and making reasonable debt payments, you are probably not idiots.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have to vote for ... me. Spent around $2,000 to essentially rent a vehicle for two months. On the off chance it might be needed to take me on long trips to the doctor. Basically it fell apart, so..2k for a piece of junk. One that if I had invested that into fixing the car I already had, I would have still had 1,000 or more left over.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I think him...more because he can get shades more cheaply. You wouldnt be able to swing the rum without help, and from the description it sounds great

Comment

I voted for Mr. A-S as well.

For the reasons and caveats that others have already mentioned, yours was not a stupid purchase, even though it would likely be completely consumed on one occasion.

Even if Mr. A-S actually wore the shades, and regularly, he'd probably lose them within a week.

You would be left with the memory of an occasion, though relatively short-lived, was something you savored and greatly enjoyed.

He would be left with the memory of looking cool for less than a week, (and like a dumbass in others' eyes once they found out the cost).

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

I too voted for Mr. Anti-Social. However, I do not consider it a fair vote. Jester's reasons and motivation for his splurge were stated very clearly. I have no idea why Mr. Anti-Social chose to spend $400 on two pairs of sunglasses.

Also, if I were choosing between the two purchases, I would have bought the rum.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      I have to vote for ... me. Spent around $2,000 to essentially rent a vehicle for two months. On the off chance it might be needed to take me on long trips to the doctor. Basically it fell apart, so..2k for a piece of junk. One that if I had invested that into fixing the car I already had, I would have still had 1,000 or more left over.
                      Musical interlude time. Enjoy:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

As for the OP--I don't think either of you are idiots if you get each get something out of your purchases and don't wind up going in hock because of them.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                        I'm going with Mr. Anti-Social.

Because...
                        3) you could also claim it as work research; 4) you'll be in good company even if the rum is bad. That could easily be worth the $233.
                        Can't really claim it as work research, as there is pretty much no chance of my bar buying it, not only because of its scarcity, but because of the price point on it. As for the rum being bad, virtually no chance of that. It may not be as good as we all hope, but bad? With this reputation? (Others have tried it; it is a Holy Grail for a reason!)

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Well except for Manischewitz.
                        Wait, you LIKE Manixhewitz? I'm JEWISH, and even I don't like that swill!

In fact beer in a can - unless it's imported - can pretty much diaf.
                        There are many great American craft beers being produced in cans that are not horrible...he'll, they are fantastic! Oskar Blues is leading the way, but Cigar City and many others have put out some fabulous beers that just happen to come in cans. Now, there are many beers that are just awful in cans (Corona is a beer that I enjoy in bottles that I absolutely won't drink in cans because of how awful it is), but there are some seriously awesome canned beers out there!

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                        Going to go along with PepperElf. Yeah, maybe Mr. AntiSocial will never use those fancy glasses, which could be seen as a bit stupid on his part.

Unless somebody's spending exceeds their income, or causes them to be unable to afford day-to-day requirements...
                        Oh, he'll use them, and he will always make rent and bills...but still....it astounds me that he'd pay four bills for two pairs of shades that, while very cool looking, just aren't in my mind that much better than any other pair of shades.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        The occasion is the rum itself, as it is a legendary rum, and we are all huge rum fans. As for how it tastes....none of us actually know. But we believe, from all we've heard, that it will be extraordinary.

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                        Even if Mr. A-S actually wore the shades, and regularly, he'd probably lose them within a week.
                        To be fair to him, he will wear them, he will wear them regularly (even if regularly only means on the ride to work and on the occasion that he works out at the pool), and he is not one to be likely to lose shades, expensive or otherwise. Still think he's and idiot.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        I too voted for Mr. Anti-Social. However, I do not consider it a fair vote. Jester's reasons and motivation for his splurge were stated very clearly. I have no idea why Mr. Anti-Social chose to spend $400 on two pairs of sunglasses.

Also, if I were choosing between the two purchases, I would have bought the rum.
                        His reasons are simple: he wants quality shades, and he believes these are such.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

My favorite brand of shades is one of the more pricy brands but I like it because the ones I have are marked Z87, which means they meet the standards of safety glasses. So not only do they protect my eyes from UV rays, they protect my eyes from impact too.
                          The only shades I buy are among the cheaper brands, and they're marked Z87 also. Of course, I buy mine at an industrial supply place - smoke-tinted safety glasses are cheaper than all but the cheapest sunglasses at a sunglasses place, they're a full wraparound with minimal gaps to let glare (or fragments) in, and have the temples adjustable for length.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            The occasion is the rum itself, as it is a legendary rum, and we are all huge rum fans. As for how it tastes....none of us actually know. But we believe, from all we've heard, that it will be extraordinary.
                            At that price the rum better be good.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm sorry, Jester, but I had to vote against you!

Until recently, I'd have said "WTF? $200 sunglasses?" Except that a friend of mine put these sunglasses he'd bought several years ago up for sale for a stupid amount of money, and they sold. No idea whether the pairs your roommate ordered are collectible, but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So go enjoy your rum, you bigger idiot. <runs away!>

Comment

Working...
                              X