This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

I just got a message on my PC that Windows 10 is coming on July 29th and that it will be available as a free upgrade to us non-Mac users.

So be prepared for Windows 10! Well, not just Windows 10, but also the massive suck that will probably come from SCs. I can just imagine the following:
    • People complaining about not having enough disk space to install the OS (about 3GB is required).
    • People complaining about how Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 was better.
    • People constantly asking for help with Windows 10, even though you gave them simple, easy-to-follow instructions.
    • People accusing you of screwing up their PCs or accusing hackers of installing Windows 10 without their consent, when in reality, they clicked on the download link because they thought it would lead them to pictures of cute kittens.
    • People complaining in general.

You have been warned.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Like Murphy, you're an optimist!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Heh. We've been ranting about it over in CIO for a while

http://customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=109640
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
        People complaining about not having enough disk space to install the OS (about 3GB is required).
        3G for the operating system alone??? I remember when FAT32 came in, allowing for a partition larger than 2G - and when FAT was extended to allow a maximum partition of 2G instead of the former 512M - and when FAT was extended to allow a maximum partition of 512M instead of the former 32M. Now get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Oddly enough, regardless of what the requirements say, win7 took up less space on my old office's HDDs than win8 did (clean install, all 64bit pro).

FAT32? Hah! Back in my day....*grumble yada*
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

People complaining about how Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 was better.

you forgot XP (as I sit here and type on an XP laptop. Got 7 running on a desktop so I'm not a complete Luddite).

Comment

Don't people understand that they don't have to upgrade if they don't want to?

Comment

Some folks, I'm not so sure ~_~ Meaning plebians, of course (people who aren't signed up for this site) ^_^

Comment

I was actually thinking about what if people accidentally reserve their copy of Windows 10, and then get a notification that it is ready to be installed, they will probably accuse you, the tech support, of downloading a virus onto their machines.

And yes, people do have to upgrade if they want to play the newest games. I'm sure that when Win10 comes on July 29th, the complaints will come on July 30th.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I'm sure that when Win10 comes on July 29th, the complaints will come on July 30th.
                    Wow, you are an optimist. I wouldn't even give it THAT long.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I just got a message on my PC that Windows 10 is coming on July 29th and that it will be available as a free upgrade to us non-Mac users.

So be prepared for Windows 10! Well, not just Windows 10, but also the massive suck that will probably come from SCs. I can just imagine the following:
                      I have had the Insider Preview for about 6 months now, if they say 8 or 8.1 are better, they are wrong! lol
                      Last edited by EricKei; 07-20-2015, 06:09 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

How is the current state of 10, anyway? the last I heard from the other thread was ages ago, and could basically be summed up as "It isn't win8 -- Thank <diety>" and, perhaps more importantly "Steam and most games seem to work just fine"

Good? Bad? Ugly? Any specific compatibility woes?

Comment

It does sound like it's an improvement over Windows 8. That isn't difficult.

I'm less certain whether it's an improvement over Windows 7. I'm going to stick with that for the sake of my sanity.

Comment

Yeah -- I'll download my ISO (or however it's done) once I can, but I'd rather wait for the customary SP1 to actually install it.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                              Wow, you are an optimist. I wouldn't even give it THAT long.
                              I say about a millisecond after the initial download if that long.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X