This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you really need a job...

because you can't work anywhere that would require a grasp of the English language. Y'all, I weep for America. I'm job hunting and reading employee reviews. Here are some gems in regard to one company:

1. "I you really need a job there hiring."
    2. "I liked the fact it was a fast paste job" I thought this was a powder coating company? Maybe they've branched out into other materials.
    3. "an the management is the worst they dont wanna spind the money to fix nothing" Well, I agree with management. I think they should spend money to fix something rather than nothing.

I know spelling and grammar mistakes happen but that's what proofreading is for.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    because you can't work anywhere that would require a grasp of the English language. Y'all, I weep for America. I'm job hunting and reading employee reviews. Here are some gems in regard to one company:

1. "I you really need a job there hiring."
    2. "I liked the fact it was a fast paste job" I thought this was a powder coating company? Maybe they've branched out into other materials.
    3. "an the management is the worst they dont wanna spind the money to fix nothing" Well, I agree with management. I think they should spend money to fix something rather than nothing.

I know spelling and grammar mistakes happen but that's what proofreading is for.
    I agree with you, Food Lady.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people don't proofread, and I think they type these things on their mobile devices and "excuse" the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Some would say it doesn't matter because it's the message that's important. In fact, I've heard stories before about how some schools aren't really that interested in that type of stuff, but more about communicating the "message", so you end up with misspellings and "leet speak" in writing.

I do believe it's unprofessional, and doesn't make people look very intelligent.

It's like when people get "Their, they're, and there" mixed up, then get upset when you point it out to them.

I've seen that "mistake" made with "sell, sail, and sale".

In fact, a few weeks back, I saw a vehicle with "For Sell" written on it. I wish I were kidding.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      I agree with you, Food Lady.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people don't proofread, and I think they type these things on their mobile devices and "excuse" the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Some would say it doesn't matter because it's the message that's important. In fact, I've heard stories before about how some schools aren't really that interested in that type of stuff, but more about communicating the "message", so you end up with misspellings and "leet speak" in writing.

*snip*
      Yes, the argument is that "Well, we KNOW what they're trying to say." Good for you. Let's see how that works in the work world, shall we?

My (younger) sister looked like a small porcelain doll in her first years of school, not least because her hair had only been trimmed back once or twice, so it fell to her knees (if you pulled it straight, it fell well past her knees). So when my mother went raging to her teachers to ask why they were indulgently overlooking basic spelling and grammar mistakes, their response was often "Oh, she looks up at me with those big eyes and I can't criticize her!"

Well, that's wonderful if she's gonna be a pole dancer ...

(As it turns out, she has a great job in the medical field, but no thanks to these idiots.)
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I received an email thread that started with a project manager reminding us to complete training.

One of the emails read:

I could care less u decided to say something back and is that best u can say back... n why reply all fuk boy
        I wouldn't want to work with that woman.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I got twitted a number of times over the years playing MMORPGs because I happen to be able to type 90 words per minute with very few mistakes ... they can't seem to understand I can chat in proper grammar and spelling in real time. I don't need to use leet speak or text speak ...
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            ...and that's why we won't hire people like that. Our feeling is, that if they can't put in the effort to give a good impression with their resume or cover letter, they'll do the same thing on the job. I work for a brokerage--when you're moving around hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of dollars, you want people who are detail oriented. Little mistakes, no matter how unintentional, can have expensive consequences. We're not about to hire an idiot.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If you really need a job then you should find a job....but Heaven knows you'll be miserable there ��
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Little mistakes, no matter how unintentional, can have expensive consequences. We're not about to hire an idiot.
                Like accidentally ordering a bunch of coal like "Brad" did.

Comment

The help wanted postings from the swamp aren't much better.

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Like accidentally ordering a bunch of coal like "Brad" did.
                  And then you totaled him.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What we have here are examples of why proofreading with spell-check alone is a bad idea.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Holy crap in a bundt pan, I just looked up a clearance swamp job posting for Optician and it contains the following "words": teamthat, bestcare, Promotefrom, Competitivewage, Teammatediscount, Excellentbenefits, jobtraining, Provideexceptional, effectivedecisions, Strongwork and Enjoyworking.

I wish I was making all that up, I really do.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Take 1: Maybe it cost too much to put in the extra spaces.

Take 2: Maybe whoever wrote the job posting was spaced out.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Or perhaps they forgot the hashtags...
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            What we have here are examples of why proofreading with spell-check alone is a bad idea.
                            There is so much more to effective communication than spelling. Sentence structure, punctuation, and appropriate wording matter.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Honestly, in my opinion, I'm generally willing to forgive some grammar mistakes, because they can sometimes make a sentence look or sound weird.

Spelling, on the other hand, I'm less likely to forgive, as well as things like knowing the difference between "there", "their", and "they're" and "sail", "sell", and "sale".

Comment

Working...
                              X