This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted! (In more way than one)

Hehe! I've had enough of these I have to post this.

Lately we have had a run on Windows XP and no one can figure out why. Well, everyone but me.

Microsoft recently introduced a new patch that checks for authenticity in Windows XP. Now a number of people who have legit OEM versions have been nailed by this, but overall it's pretty accurate. When it detects a fake, It blocks access to the computer until a legit one is installed.

Since it went live, I have had several customers ask for OEM copies (at a major retail store? HA!) and getting the home editions. The reason has been the same with all of them. They were using an illegal copy, installed the patch, and got busted for it. And they keep telling me this like I'm going to sympathize with them.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

It doesn't block access to the computer, it blocks access to the updates for XP.

Comment

oops! I stand corrected. Oh well. They still think I'm giving them a deal because of what happened. YEAH RIGHT!
      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I have a legit copy (it came with the computer) but almost no one else I know has one...

but sheesh at least they arnt stupid enough to ring techsupport and admit it!
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

It turns out the jackass ex-friend I got to build this computer, last year, must have used an illegal or bootleg copy of Windows XP Pro, because about 2 months ago I started getting that message on the logon screen that my copy of windows was not genuine. This is pathetic. I wish I still had contact with him, so I could kick his ass. Also sucks because now I have to pay $150 to get a new copy of XP Pro from my school, or pay $200 online to get Microsoft to change the authentication code on my freaking system. Haaaaate iiit. Stupid thing is, I'm still getting some random updates every once and a while. Maybe once I get my loan for school, I'll use part of that to get the new copy.

Lordlundar: As per my situation, I am probably not the only one who was f-cked over and is not at fault.

Comment

Just use a cracked version of the update. Those always seem to work.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Yeah, I got caught using the pirated Windows XP too. But I wonder what took them so long? I bought this computer about four years ago, and Windows XP was all that was being run, even back then.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Just to help, since it seems a few people have gotten snagged with this update. www.newegg.com has windows XP Media Center for $109.99 and WinXP Pro for $139.99 which I think is significantly cheaper than most retail outlets. The reason being is that newegg will sell OEM versions.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                  Yeah, I got caught using the pirated Windows XP too. But I wonder what took them so long? I bought this computer about four years ago, and Windows XP was all that was being run, even back then.
                  Like I said, it's a recent item in the updates. It took that long because the item wasn't on your computer for that long. After it's installed, it nabs people pretty quick.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Writing this from my Ubuntu box with its free operating system, so if I may add:

neener neener neener.

*this she says while trying to troubleshoot the bootloader*

root@darkstar: mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
                    root@darkstar: cp -r /cdrom/lib/* /lib/*
                    root@darkstar: crap
                    -bash crap: command not found
                    root@darkstar: man -k undo

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                      I have a legit copy (it came with the computer) but almost no one else I know has one...

but sheesh at least they arnt stupid enough to ring techsupport and admit it!
                      I have a legit copy of XP too. It just goes to show you how many people are trying to take the shortcuts and not pay for something. In the end, it costs the rest of us more to pay for pirated copies and bootlegged software

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                        Just to help, since it seems a few people have gotten snagged with this update. www.newegg.com has windows XP Media Center for $109.99 and WinXP Pro for $139.99 which I think is significantly cheaper than most retail outlets. The reason being is that newegg will sell OEM versions.
                        Be very careful with that. With very few exceptions, OEM software is usually not legally sold by itself. The company selling it MUST be an original equipment manufacturer (an OEM) and must have a contract with the manufacturer to sell the OEM software as a component of their own product.

If anyone is selling an OEM copy of Windows by itself, the safest thing to do is ask Microsoft if they have an OEM contract with the seller which allows stand-alone sales. If they say "yes," you're good. If they say "no," you've avoided buying stolen product.
                        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Newegg.com doesn't ship to Canada, so Spiffy and I can't get it.
                          Last edited by Ree; 09-27-2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                            Be very careful with that. With very few exceptions, OEM software is usually not legally sold by itself. The company selling it MUST be an original equipment manufacturer (an OEM) and must have a contract with the manufacturer to sell the OEM software as a component of their own product.
                            I've bought a few OEM copies from Newegg, and as long as you buy a piece of hardware with it -- pretty much any piece of hardware qualifies, you should be OK. It even says in the description, "Must be purchased with hardware." I never tried purchasing one without purchasing hardware, but I assume it wouldn't let you complete the transaction.

IIRC, I've bought three copies from them. Once with a hard drive, once with a DVD-burner, and once with a complete set of parts to build a whole new system. If nothing else, the latter had to have been OK.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
                              Newegg.com doesn't ship to Canada, so Spiffy and myself can't get it.
                              Interesting. I did not know that.

Even if they did, I don't know how much more expensive shipping is. It's possible that the shipping, as well as the difference in the value of American and Canadian dollars would make the whole thing not worthwhile.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X