This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    Well, plastic and wood, but still. It gives me something to do rather than bash my head or the computer I'm working on into pieces.

Have I mentioned lately how much Vista with one gb of ram SUCKS!! ??
    Have I mentioned how Vista with 512 ram, minus video memory sucks.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      At least it gives you fair warning that you're dealing with a nincompoop. It amazes me how many people will buy big ticket electronics without doing even the most basic research about it.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
        Heh, I just found out that that the two laptops (mine and the admin asst's) that I was kinda forced to put Vista on (We had to have it up and running on 25 computers before the license we had would be like.. real... or something) have 512 ram. My manager's ordering me a gig stick. 1536mb is better than 1 gb.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Um... does that mean I shouldn't be doing that?

Actually, got a funny story.

When I worked in phone support, I used to bring a few Transformers to my desk to keep my hands occupied while on the phone. I was on graveyards, it was a closed site with no windows, no one had a problem with it.

Well, except the Graveyard supervisor. He didn't have a problem with me bringing them in, per se, he had a problem with the Transformers THEMSELVES.

See, he couldn't shake the feeling they were watching him, the feeling that one day they'd just up and start moving on their own, and set about overthrowing their former human masters.

So... I kinda started screwing with him.

I would position them different each time they passed... each time, some would always be watching his pod INTENTLY. Always different ones, always different positions, usually partially hidden. I never let him see me move them.

Then one day, I planted a couple in his pod.

He went to step into it (A pod was basically a little cubical thing that he could watch the rows of call agents) stopped, his eyes went wide, and in a small voice he requested I come over and get my toys out of his pod.

He never got mad about it, he was always a good sport... but he was well and truly and honestly scared of the things. I felt kinda bad after that.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Oh that is the BEST one I've heard to date!
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              At least it gives you fair warning that you're dealing with a nincompoop. It amazes me how many people will buy big ticket electronics without doing even the most basic research about it.
              Big ticket hell, they're the cheapasses who bought the budget no-name machines!

I'm a cheapass too, but my $380 laptop has 2 GB. I Fry's.
              Of course I had to get up early on Labor Day to get it at that price, and it is unfortunately infected with W32.Vista.B. Though it does have some very nice power management features previous versions didn't, and heck, the wireless works ALMOST as well as OSX.

Then one day, I planted a couple in his pod.
              Awesomeness in a can.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

im one of those cheapasses sadly. bought a toshiba with only a gig memory, but come tax time its getting 2 gigs of ram and a 320 hdd
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  Big ticket hell, they're the cheapasses who bought the budget no-name machines!

I'm a cheapass too, but my $380 laptop has 2 GB. I Fry's.
                  Of course I had to get up early on Labor Day to get it at that price, and it is unfortunately infected with W32.Vista.B. Though it does have some very nice power management features previous versions didn't, and heck, the wireless works ALMOST as well as OSX.
                  Hey, I still consider that big ticket. Just because you got a good price on it doesn't change what it is. And I bet you knew exactly what you were buying, and what you were going to do with it. I, myself, would buy a 512MB Vista machine, but you'd bet I'd have a decent video card and at least 2GB in my other hand for install later. Probably a new power supply too, come to think of it.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One computer that I'm working on had been connected to a WAP called "TehTubez".

The other computer I'm working on is a brick of a Dell, missing it's battery. After I started it up, I started a virus scan install the above laptop. I looked over to see the pointer slide from the middle of the screen to the bottom left corner. So, to move the mouse, I have to keep steady pressure to the upper right. At least, until it starts moving in an upward glide, then it won't recognize anything but movement to the right. It'll stick in that corner until it decides to start it's downward slide to the left.

Sigh.

Comment

Let me guess, it's a dodgy clitmouse. I hate those things even when they aren't broken.

Comment

I looked over to see the pointer slide from the middle of the screen to the bottom left corner. So, to move the mouse, I have to keep steady pressure to the upper right. At least, until it starts moving in an upward glide, then it won't recognize anything but movement to the right. It'll stick in that corner until it decides to start it's downward slide to the left.
                        This is why I keep a spare USB keyboard and mouse around. I've seen too many laptops lose the onboard components.
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

It is. But the regular touchpad mouse isn't working either.

And, sadly, I'm at the point where I need a mouse, because I have to click on a popup bubble. Not the icon that's popping up the bubble, but the bubble itself.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                            Let me guess, it's a dodgy clitmouse. I hate those things even when they aren't broken.
                            "clitmouse"
                            Geeks are such naughty creatures.
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=15087653

Rapscallion

Comment

So, I have a student laptop.

Winantivirus 2008, and something called braviax.

NOT fun.

Then our student VLAN kinda crapped out this morning. I'm still not exactly sure what happened. Then, we had two computers that their computer accounts were just friggin' LOST in Active Directory, so I had to bounce them off the domain (which involves restarting them an extra time to fully wipe out the domain settings).

It's 12:41, I'm hoping I get lunch, my head hurts, AND I'm cranky. And poor. And have a broken cell phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X