Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hubby and I do tech support for the wireless internet for a handful of local hotels. We frequently hear these:

"It works at every other hotel I stay at!"
    "It was working yesterday!"
    "What's a browser?"
    "I'm running Windows."
    "Never mind. I was going to go to dinner/sleep/check out pretty soon, anyway."
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

"My daughter just used it and there's no way she did anything to put a virus on it!"

Comment

Heh. I've heard a bunch of these at work, and I'm not even remotely the tech person! Our main computer guy is REMARKABLY patient. He didn't even blink when I ran up to his desk the other week, and said "J, my computer has one of those fake anti-virus things on it, and it's popping up errors. I didn't touch any of it, but I don't remember what I was doing right before it popped up, please please please fix it!" Hey, at least I knew enough to recognize a fake av and not click on anything else, right?
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
          My hubby and I do tech support for the wireless internet for a handful of local hotels. We frequently hear these:

"Never mind. I was going to go to dinner/sleep/check out pretty soon, anyway."

This one i completely understand if the problem can be solved with me selecting a different setting or something similarly quick & simple then i will sort it and carry on using the internet, it's it's something complicated and/or will involve getting a tech out then it's not worth the hassle.

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
            This one i completely understand if the problem can be solved with me selecting a different setting or something similarly quick & simple then i will sort it and carry on using the internet, it's it's something complicated and/or will involve getting a tech out then it's not worth the hassle.
            Yes, but most of the time the ones who say this are the ones where it takes five minutes to get them online instead of one minute. If you only have five minutes before you're going to go to sleep/dinner/check out, then why are you worried about getting online? Your email will still be there.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
              If you only have five minutes before you're going to go to sleep/dinner/check out, then why are you worried about getting online? Your email will still be there.
              Because some of us are admittedly email addicts. If I go more than a few hours without it, I get shaky and stuff...

I need an intervention or something.
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                Because some of us are admittedly email addicts. If I go more than a few hours without it, I get shaky and stuff...
                I can understand checking e-mail with only 5 minutes, but calling the help line? Yes, it might be a quick "did you remember to hit the "more magic" button", but odds are against that.

Comment

Working...
                X