Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to XP grudgingly from 98, and have moved on to 7 mostly because I qualified for the student upgrade. For the most part, I've found it nicely stable, just taking a little getting used to navigating around. But I agree on some of these points!

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
    • The Start Menu no longer offers the classic view.
    This one I WAS sad about. I keep hitting key combinations for the programs I use the most, only to stare at the start menu going because my programs aren't opening and there's a search tab with a string of gibberish typed in now.

• I hate the extra steps you have to take to open a new window in IE8.
    This one is just one step, once you figure out how. Right click on an existing window in the task bar and choose 'internet explorer' to pop open a new window. "Ctrl + N" also still works, but will copy whatever window is currently open.

• And I hate the fact that I keep getting a message that I have to have administrator permissions to change the name of a simple file that I just created two minutes ago!
    Also annoying! I just can't get it to stop popping that message up. I'm ON the administrator account, which is also the ONLY account on this computer! *grumble. The other one that I can't get rid of is the one that pops up when my MMOs try to connect to the internet. "Are you suuuuuuure you want to let this program connect to the internet?" "Yes, and I was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and I REALLY wish you had an exception list to add this game to so you STOP ASKING ME!!!"
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

You can shut that alert off, somewhere in the control panel, but then you get that little flag down in the icon tray warning you there is an "issue" with your computer's security.
      Last edited by AriRashkae; 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarity. Haven't had coffee yet.
      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
        then you get that little flag down in the icon tray warning you there is an "issue" with your computer's security.
        You can turn those off. There's a "stop monitoring" button if you click on that flag and bring up the screen where it lists the security centre options.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
          The other one that I can't get rid of is the one that pops up when my MMOs try to connect to the internet. "Are you suuuuuuure you want to let this program connect to the internet?" "Yes, and I was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and I REALLY wish you had an exception list to add this game to so you STOP ASKING ME!!!"
          Is said MMO WoW? If so, just drag the entire World of Warcraft folder out of the Program Files folder and let it live as a folder under the root of your C drive. Then, make a shortcut to the Launcher.exe file to open it. Poof! No more UAC prompts!

This problem seems to be more common if you upgrade to Vista/7 from XP. I have no idea why, but that's what I have found. Also, if WoW doesn't seem to want to patch, right click your shortcut and click "Run as Administrator". That'll solve most "won't patch" problems with Vista/7.

Hello, my name is lwb. I am a WoW junkie...

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
            This one is just one step, once you figure out how. Right click on an existing window in the task bar and choose 'internet explorer' to pop open a new window. "Ctrl + N" also still works, but will copy whatever window is currently open.
            Or, middle click the taskbar icon. It'll open up your home page.
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth lwb View Post
              This problem seems to be more common if you upgrade to Vista/7 from XP. I have no idea why, but that's what I have found. Also, if WoW doesn't seem to want to patch, right click your shortcut and click "Run as Administrator". That'll solve most "won't patch" problems with Vista/7
              My wife's computer has a problem updating WoW. It fails, and I have to go through the "check the files" bit and run the update again as Administrator. My setup doesn't have this problem. Both of our computers have WoW installed on a secondary drive (D: in her case, G: in mine), although we both get the UAC prompt when there are updates to be had.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have to sit and make sure her WoW directory does not have the wrong, or outdated permissions. I didn't fully re-install when I upgraded her from XP, just ran the original installation, and replaced the folder with the old one.

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Turning off UAC = turns off the "are you suuuuuure" annoyances.
                New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

I actually love Windows 7. I have no problems with it, so I don't know what to tell you
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I recently upgrade to windows 7. My dual-core with RAID 0 actually feels like a, well.... a dual-core with RAID 0.

My ONLY complaint so far is Microsoft getting rid of the build-in Moviemaker that was in Vista for the craptastic "live" one you need to download. Gotta love antitrust verdicts.

Comment

Quoth Demolition Man View Post
                      http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Turning off UAC = turns off the "are you suuuuuure" annoyances.

I couldn't get it turned off fast enough. I miss XP, I knew how to do many things with it. I hate that I can no long easily change the screen saver and power settings from the desktop. I have no idea where to find it other than searching for "power setting"

I have considered putting ubuntu on my new laptop like I had on my dell. but I have HP and I know they don't play as nice out of the box. Also, I don't have the install CDs other htan those crappy backup ones you make yourself. So im scared to mess something up.
                      Last edited by underemployeed; 03-07-2010, 06:02 AM.
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I like Win7 -- I still don't like UAC. It does annoy me that one of the programs I support for my job (QuickBooks 2010) actually requires it to be turned on, and prefers it to be at "full-bore paranoia" mode. Keep in mind that a common "do this and it'll work better" trick in 2009 and earlier was "turn off UAC" >_<

My only experience in WinME was for all of thirty minutes. Got my first BSOD, followed by the OS suffering an abrupt Complete Existence Failure...during the initial mass-Windows-update period after install. If you've had better luck than most on that OS, rock on
                        I went right back to Win 2000 as a result, and stuck with that until XP SP2 had proved itself.

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        Not sure how you ended up with two Documents...
                        If you have told Windows to have the location of MyDocuments as anything except the default, you will get this issue. I have yet to discover a 100% fix for it.

No probs with Snap here either, works fine.
                        I've not had any problems, save for "shaking" the titlebar to Maximize.

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                        Windows 7 is Windows Vista only less stupid

I like it.
                        Pretty much, and same here ^_^ Been using it since the public beta-ish release in June. Have since moved on to the real thing.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                          My ONLY complaint so far is Microsoft getting rid of the build-in Moviemaker that was in Vista for the craptastic "live" one you need to download.
                          Gotta agree with you on that one. The one I had with XP worked great. The "live" one is a piece of crap. The first thing I noticed was where it shows thumbnails of all the different frames, shows all the same frame. Pretty damn useless.

I also don't care for the newer version of the pictures slideshow screensaver. The XP version had the transition effects, but they took it away in Win7. This one was fairly easy to fix. I simply copied the one from XP into Win7.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                          X