This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to ongoing overnight parking probs

So, it seems now every driver of this one trucking company I find constantly parking in our lots overnight is using the same excuse; They're over their hours and can't move. Now, I can ask to see their miles sheet, but they don't have to show it to me. I can call the police to confirm they're telling me the truth, but I don't want to have to bother them for the same damn thing every night. When I mention that the police could verify their information to the drivers, they've stuck to the story, which compels me to believe they're telling the truth (other drivers clear-out fast at that!). The police will not force them to move if they're out of hours, and I was told I could get a ticket for making them move.

I mentioned it to my manager, since they are repeat offenders, and we have signs clearly posted stating we don't allow overnight parking, but yet don't seem to have a leg to stand on. She is going to check on the law about getting a ticket for making them move, but she did tell me that, since they are effectively refusing to leave our property that we could cite them for trespassing, since it is private property and not our fault that they did not to check to see if they could park with us. She is also thinking of, as an alternative, charging a fee for the overnight parking and billing their company $200 a night!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I think your company should contact the trucking company and see if there are any ways to plan around the problem. IMO if the trucks are making deliveries to your property, and then getting stuck there thanks to government regulations, it's not the trucking company's fault.

Comment

So wait, a trucker is trespassing by parking on your clearly marked no-overnight marked property, and YOU can get a ticket if you call the police to have them move? That's fairly insane.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
        So wait, a trucker is trespassing by parking on your clearly marked no-overnight marked property, and YOU can get a ticket if you call the police to have them move? That's fairly insane.
        Its a rule where if they are over the hours of driving for the day, they are required by law to pull over and rest for a period of time. I think they can only drive 8-12 hours per day, and at least 8 hours rest. Its for the safety of the truckers and drivers of cars. By forcing truckers who are actually over on hours to move, the law says that you are endangering the truckers and other drivers.

At least, this is my assumption. Im sure they are a few truckers here who could shed more light

Comment

Some drivers have told me that they can move up to 1/4 of a mile as long as they are not on a public road; I guess this would allow them to move from an unsafe location, etc. We're tired of them abusing our property, since it's their responsibility to make sure they've parked in an appropriate place (try a truck stop!), we have signs stating this and it's not our job to babysit them overnight. I'm sure all it will take will be one trucker's rig getting broken-into, or one driver mugged, and they'll be putting the blame on us. Which is why we want to nip it in the bud!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Why are your lots open to everyone? I don't know how your company operates or what it does (too lazy to search), so I have to ask.

Rapscallion

Comment

Its a fairly complicated matter, IIRC, 10 hours on, 11 off, at least when i drove (they're constantly changing it, last time i heard it was in limbo, but i've been out of the loop for a while). When you're out of hours, that's it, its illegal to move the truck, though i think there is an allowance to move it off of private property, but you'd have to check with the NHTSA administration, i believe they're the ones that set up the rules, if there's a truck stop, or the trucking company has a terminal nearby. They probably wouldn't stay if they had a choice, after all, truck stops offer showers, bathrooms and food, so the only reason to be on private property is if you're worried about being spotted stationary on public property (ie outstanding warrants, or repo on your rig).

Now, with that said, while you can't make them show you their log (do you know how to read one? I can teach you if you need.), its easy to negotiate it, since the police <i>can</i>, so they can show you their log, get it over with and go back to bed if they're justified in staying there, or they can get disturbed a second time when the police get their. Obviously if they're telling the truth, its in their interest to get it over with.

Second, contact the trucking company, after all, they have a contract to fulfill, and if the driver runs out of hours at your terminal, not only does it look bad that they're driver is sleeping there, managing your hours that bad raises the chances that either the delivery will be late, or done in violation of hours to make the deadline. Obviously this is bad for the company, and they appreciate help in keeping up with their drivers, at least the professional companies.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Start calling the companies of those trucks and making complaints, failure to leave enough time on the logbook to make it to an approved parking location is not an excuse for tresspassing
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Why are your lots open to everyone? I don't know how your company operates or what it does (too lazy to search), so I have to ask.

Rapscallion
                  Raps, if you mean ungated, it's a shopping mall. But it's NOT "open" when the mall is not open. People are allowed to park only during regular hours, and only to shop at the mall, not to sleep.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Gates. Close them at night.

The UK does this on many private car parks, otherwise you get certain groups coming in, setting up camp, and staying quite legally whilst the legitimate shoppers can't get in.

I don't know if the trucks arrive before your mall closes, but it's one way to get around it. If they try to open the gates to get in, trespass crime.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                      Start calling the companies of those trucks and making complaints, failure to leave enough time on the logbook to make it to an approved parking location is not an excuse for tresspassing
                      So you are basically saying if there is a massive traffic tie-up on the freeway it's the truckers fault?

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                        So you are basically saying if there is a massive traffic tie-up on the freeway it's the truckers fault?
                        I'll say that it certainly seems that way. I commute an hour each way, every day. With the exceptions of weather (like tonight), or accidents, every time I see a traffic snarl, I find around a dozen trucks at the front of it.

As for weather slow downs, those happen a few times per year. Accidents aren't terribly common (and I'm lucky for that). But traffic snarls? a couple times/week. And over 90% of the time, there's a dozen or so trucks at the front of it.

So, to me, based on my anecdotal view, yes, it is.

Comment

My main question is.. if they park way out of the way of everyone, what harm is it causing?? You are allowing them to obey the law, and I know in my area, one of the major exits off the freeway has a pulloff for the truckers (FCFS for spots) if they are nearing their limit.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                            My main question is.. if they park way out of the way of everyone, what harm is it causing??
                            There's liability, zoning issues, facilities issues, and probably more I'm not even thinking of right now.

Frankly, if they keep hiding behind their road hours, I'd get a semi towing company on contract to tow violators. A few recovery fines will set them straight.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

and i don't know about where you are but here, the throughways have spots all along the road where truckers can pull off and park

1) full service manned rest stops - food, toilets, gas, minimart, even wifi in some locations

2) unmanned rest stops - basically a spot to park and a small building with toilets

it sounds like they're taking advantage of your parking lot for a free rest stop
                              instead of actually planning their stops out ahead of time.

like they're purposefully skipping the official rest stops, to reach your lot and then say "oh no, i can't drive any more today! you have to put up with me now!!" etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X