Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all highways have such stops though. Prime example is I-79 in SW PA. There aren't many rest stops on that road at all. Only 2, IIRC--the one near Lone Pine, the other near Bridgeville. Sure, there are plenty of towns along the way, but there simply aren't many areas where trucks can *legally* pull off the highways for the night. In fact, one shopping center in Waynesburg (last big town before the WV line) states that they *will* bust truckers for trespassing.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      There's liability, zoning issues, facilities issues, and probably more I'm not even thinking of right now.

two that I can think of offhand-if it becomes "known" that truckers are "allowed" to park overnight in the lot, you WILL end up with "lot lizards"* and the local criminal element looking for an easy score.

*lot lizard-prostitute that hangs out only at truck stops-usually goes from truck to truck-sadly a good number of them as of late are teenage runaways/kidnap victims.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I am a trucker, and I believe the FMCSR allows for motor carriers to drive even when they're out of hours to get to safe and legal parking. I do believe this includes if they finish making a delivery and are not allowed to park overnight at the receiver, or if the lot is unsafe. The only reason they would HAVE to stay at your lot is if the roads were unsafe to drive on due to ice or snow. So the drivers arguing with you are mostly just being difficult, and oh boy, do I know how difficult drivers can be!

Another thing to factor in...some companies use paperless logs. The first company I drove for used them. The computer system in the truck will register when the truck is in motion and automatically start logging driving time, and thus could screw up the driver's logs. However, a quick call to dispatch should straighten that out as well, if they explain they need to get to a safe and legal parking area, so dispatch can adjust their logs.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
          My main question is.. if they park way out of the way of everyone, what harm is it causing?? You are allowing them to obey the law, and I know in my area, one of the major exits off the freeway has a pulloff for the truckers (FCFS for spots) if they are nearing their limit.
          We occasionally look the other way when the hotel has a trucker guest and uses our back lot for the night. But at the same time, we don't have much of space. 2-3 trucks is all that fits back there. However, we are not in the business of being a truck stop and have no intention of starting

If truckers are constantly sleeping in your lot they may need better logistics. by that I mean we have one trucker who comes in for coffee before heading the Walmart to swap trailers with another trucker so neither of them goes over hours from making the full trip.

I'm pretty sure if you demand they move the truck you shouldn't be able to get a ticket that is just messed up. Since it the same company, if the driver can't legally move it he better get someone there who can or have a semi-tow truck move his ass. OR better yet, if you area where it snows and got one of the big front end loaders in the lot, just block him in with that so he has to damage property where he is trespassing unless he agrees to stay away.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
            better yet, if you area where it snows and got one of the big front end loaders in the lot, just block him in with that so he has to damage property where he is trespassing unless he agrees to stay away.
            Won't hold up in court.. and all the trucker has to do is take a picture of it, and state that he parked his truck BEFORE the loader was there.

It's called entrapment, and the legal onus could fall on you instead of the trucker.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
              Won't hold up in court.. and all the trucker has to do is take a picture of it, and state that he parked his truck BEFORE the loader was there.

It's called entrapment, and the legal onus could fall on you instead of the trucker.
              Thought entrapment was the thing when the cops set you up and persuaded you to break the law. Your not physically damaging his property.
              He still would have to explain why he was parking where he wasn't supposed to be, So what if the most convenient place for your company's vehicle is in his way if he was told to leave and didn't oh well. Probably should make that clear when talking to the truckers, your not asking if they want to leave. your telling them that they have no choice.

Of course I don't play fair my roommate blocked me in once for taking his spot in the winter. He decided to drive into my truck so i couldn't move. Told me he set the parking break on his 90s Sabb and I wasn't going anywhere. He backed down when I told him that if this is a competition to see who the bigger asshole I have 4x4 and will push your car into the middle of the road then the cops will tow it for being illegally parked. I didn't have to push his truck, just make him convinced I would and that doing anything other than what I wanted wouldn't be in his best interest.

Last random thought, depending on noice ordinances honk your hornk every 15 min so they can't sleep. once again it falls in the convince them dealing with you will be to much work and another parking will be less trouble.
              Last edited by underemployeed; 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM.
              I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

If i'm ever in your city Underemployed, i am *never* going to mess with you. Or your lot.

Comment

Let's drop the angle of whether a private property owner has the right to keep trespassers off their property. They clearly DO.

The OP was looking for suggestions in how to discourage them. You want the debate the ethics of any of those suggestions, take it fratching please.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X