Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post personal information at your own risk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post personal information at your own risk!

The mods have noticed a bit of a trend lately - mostly among newer members - where someone will post information revealing where they work, usually by outright stating something like "I work at Wal-Mart."

While there is no rule here on the forum against doing that, we can't stress enough that it is not a good idea to reveal such information. For better or for worse, more and more companies are searching the web for instances of employees doing or saying anything that can be construed as libeling, besmirching, or reflecting badly on the company (and if anyone wishes to discuss that practice, please do so on Fratching!)

There have in fact been incidents right here on CS where employers have done exactly that and the mods have had to remove threads or even hide entire accounts to safeguard the members in question.

So please, be very careful to limit the information you reveal here. While we are willing to help by deleting/editing/hiding threads and posts as necessary, it is FAR easier and less stressful for everyone if a little common sense is exercised when it comes to these things.

Ultimately, if anyone does decide to reveal where they work or any other identifying information, they do so at their own risk! Customerssuck.com is NOT responsible for the consequences.

Quoth Site Rules
    Whether or not to share personal information such as your email address, your AIM, your ICQ, your name, your city, your picture, etc., is YOUR decision and YOUR responsibility, so please be careful. We cannot be held accountable for any problems that result from your giving out this information. For instance if you post you picture understand that someone may recognize you. (Due to the nature of this site, we recommend that you give out as little as possible.)
    EDIT (12/9/12): Adding to the above....we have seen a few posts recently where one member has directly asked another where they work. "Do you work at Wal-Mart in [Specific Town]?"

This hasn't happened enough that I'd call it a trend, but I want to nip this in the bud.

Do NOT make these inquiries on the open forums. That will only provide a keyword that someone at that company's home office can search for and find.

It's also specifically against the Site Rules to post the personal information of another member (or a customer, for that matter).
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-22-2014, 03:16 PM. Reason: Tweaked phrasing for clarity
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

As a suggestion it might even be a good idea to not use common alternate phrases either....IE Wally World or Wall of Mart. Just because they are probably becoming known as alternate names for you know where
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

True. Some nicknames are pretty obvious. A couple of others took some time to figure out. But some members here I just have no idea cos they gave their companies weird names.

have had to remove threads or even hide entire accounts
      And that in itself may not be enough to protect the unwise since it doesn't guarantee that google cache or wayback web won't still have it archived.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        And that in itself may not be enough to protect the unwise since it doesn't guarantee that google cache or wayback web won't still have it archived.
        True, but there's nothing we can do about off-site caches or copies. Which is another reason why it's best to avoid revealing such info in the first place.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Despite the fact that anybody who knows me on a particular networking site actually knows where I work (and that my work doesn't care that I post here, with the bosslady actually making suggestions), I have never named my workplace because it's just not worth it; it's just "the place I work."

For people who work at less-worker-friendly places; protect yourselves. It's not just the workplaces you have to worry about; there are people out there who are so petty and unhappy that they go out and look for people to get in trouble; don't give them that ammunition.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I worked where I did, after I figured out that I shouldn't be revealing it, I found the "Little shop of horrors" to be quite satisfactory as a pseudoname. At the moment, I'm a bit more open about myself because I work for no one. I'm a freelance fortune-teller.
            Last edited by Kristev; 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              True, but there's nothing we can do about off-site caches or copies. Which is another reason why it's best to avoid revealing such info in the first place.
              That's pretty much what I was thinking really.

Cos not only companies but also disgruntled customers might use it too. Especially those threads where we reveal our FB info. cos some of us have real info on those FB accounts. And the last thing we need is some Entitlement Whore tracking us down to give us a piece of an empty mind, or this or any other info ... as fuel to try to punish us at work.

Cos hell to some SCs & EWs "off the clock" doesn't exist - and anything you cay or do in private is fair game to bring to your boss to get you in trouble. I call it "arocking" someone. (versions 2 & 3) (guess i should toss in the obligatory "fuarock" in now too)
              Last edited by PepperElf; 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

And THAT is why my personal FB account is in no way associated with the store account. Not as a friend, admin, or even someone who likes the page. I really don't need people tracking me down to cause problems for me.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  I really don't need people tracking me down to cause problems for me.
                  Wait... I tracked you down...

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    YOU don't cause problems.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      Quoth KiaKat View Post
                      so YOU think
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        so YOU think
                        Dammit, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

(also, soda up the nose hurts... Rule 1 again.)

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                          I think I'm hurt. Don't worry, I'll do better next time. I promise.

Comment

This is one of the many reasons I changed my job title/company on my Facebook to a generic title. Anyone that knows me well enough to know where I work isn't going to be a problem (I hope).
                            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I don't post where I work, ever. I normally just call it a generic name, like "the petrol station". And I don't put where I work on my facebook, either.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X