Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What router would you recommend, for somebody with a very limited budget? Their tech suggest no Belkin brands btw..seems to conflict with their system.
    I don't run bittorrents, and don't get the server not responding message, though sometimes some pages will take awhile to load (but not often)
    Last edited by Mytical; 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

At this point in time, I would be reluctant to upgrade the router. Do make sure the firmware is up to date.

Everyone will get slow page loads from time to time. It is hard to pinpoint where the bottleneck is. Too many variables.

I would make it a habit of running the speed tests at some place like dlsreports.com. If you see a slowdown, we need to find out why, as that will be on your end. If you can not connect to corp, reboot and go run a report.

Also, make sure your virus scan is up to date.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Mytical sent me some traceroutes.

The very first ping - as in, ping 1, hop 1 - would occasionally be remarkably high, but otherwise the trace would be clear all the way to hop 13. It was still at 60ms average at hop 13, with no failed pings. So low latency, no/low packet drops, nothing apparent wrong.

Hops 14 to 30:
        * * * Request timed out.

I read that as everything's fine until the path between hop 13 and 14.

This is on the traceroute between his machine and the webserver at the place he works. For privacy reasons, he showed me-alone the trace; and I'm keeping the details to myself.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Save that and compare it to when he has a problem. Let's hope we don't need it.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Tonight was pretty much hiccup free..*shrugs* well as hiccup free as it gets lol. Extra hours begin soon.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I recommend you update router firmware, make sure you're using WPA2 for wireless (or have it disabled if nothing's connected via wireless), and change password, making sure it's at least ten characters long; the longer, the better.

Comment

Working...
              X