Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Plans for February 14th, aka Arizona Day.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Plans for February 14th, aka Arizona Day.

Yes, you read that correctly. February 14th is Arizona Day, commemorating the entrance of the 48th State, my home State, to the United States in 1912. For those paying attention, that makes this February 14th Arizona's Centennial.

Now, my feelings about that OTHER holiday on February 14th are well known (in a word: blech), but I thought I would be a more positive guy this year and celebrate Arizona Day in style. I have already ordered an Arizona Centennial shirt (seriously), and am in the process of ordering miniature Arizona state flags. Why? So I can hand them out on the street in commemoration of Arizona Day, of course.

My friend Little Red may join me in this endeavor. While she has never been to Arizona herself, her feelings on that other holiday are the same as mine. Though since she has a boyfriend this year, she may just be a wench and go to the Dark Side.

Either way, I have major plans of fucking with people's heads by doing this, possibly even handing out copies of the Arizona Constitution, or maybe the official proclamation of its Statehood, if I can find it. (Just thought of that, actually.) That would be cool.

I should point out to those who don't know that I live in south FLORIDA. Over 2,000 miles from Arizona. Makes things even more confusing for people, don't ya think?

Amusingly, I have run into people who argue with me, saying no, it's not Arizona Day, and they start looking it up on their smart phones....only to find out that I am absolutely correct. Boy, is THAT fun!

So, would anyone like to join me in this? Or does anyone have any ideas that would make my Arizona Day more Zony? Please, help me mark this important holiday in style!
    Last edited by Jester; 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

As a former Zonie myself, I should get one of those shirts (I rather like the Kokopelli one).

I like the Arizona Day idea. Maybe throw a party for your friends with Southwestern cuisine and decorations, show movies filmed in Arizona.
    Last edited by XCashier; 01-23-2012, 11:57 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I like the Arizona Day idea. Maybe throw a party for your friends with Southwestern cuisine and decorations, show movies filmed in Arizona.
      Oh oh oh do Boys on the Side...makes Arizona seem so appealing
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Arizona IS appealing! It's a great place!

As for movies filmed in or that take place in Arizona, there are many, including Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, Campus Man, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Can't Buy Me Love, Pump Up the Volume, and Raising Arizona. (Those are just off the top of my head....clearly there are many more. This is just the google-free and imdb-free list from my own noggin.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Pump Up The Volume is great...I own a copy of that
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Well, shit. I THOUGHT I ordered a great t-shirt and was about to order some miniature flags. I didn't. I actually ordered the flags (cool) but didn't order the t-shirt, and now I can't freakin' find it.

So, with my google fu exhausted (at least for today), I am hoping some of you can help me out. I found a very particular t-shirt that I loved, but I CAN'T find it now!

It was black. (Though it may have been presented as white with the option to switch it to black.) It had the Arizona flag, and before it some kind of mention of the centennial, either saying "centennial" or "1912-2012" or some combination thereof or something similar.

If anyone can find this or something similar for me, I would appreciate it. All I have found so far in my new search is this, and this was not quite it. It was had a regular rectangular flag on it, unlike the shirt linked.

So....help?

Still A Customer."

Comment

How about this? http://www.zazzle.com/one_hundred_ov...17983305851836
              Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Rants, not bad, but I was hoping for something that had the word "Arizona" on it (since so few people outside of Arizona know what the Arizona flag actually looks like), and to be honest, I prefer black t-shirts. But that IS a nice one.

In other news, THE FLAGS CAME YESTERDAY! And they look great! Now I need to get off my ass and get the shirt ordered, so that it gets here in time, as I only have about a couple weeks left before the big day!

Still A Customer."

Comment

That's funny!

I should let my sister know about this. She currently lives in AZ (has for the last 6.5 years) but she is from Eastern Canada. As the "Newcomer" in her area, it would be funny if she went around saying Happy Arizona Day, instead of that other holiday!

As for me, my first wedding anniversary is tomorrow, and during that other holiday, I'll be with a group of 10 other women laying in the Sun in the Carribean (we all won the trip there).

Comment

I dislike the Other celebrated day, but seeing as my personal crack is cinnamon hearts, and can only be found this time of year, I'll support your holiday if you can get them to make cinnamon candies for it and import them to Canada.
                    "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away," and he proceeds to swallow his own eye. Xiahou Dun

Comment

While there are no cinnamon hearts (or any candies) I could find that commemorate Arizona's Centennial Celebration, I did find this company, that not only makes cinnamon hearts and sends them to you by the five pound bag, they DO ship to Canada. (I checked.) Seems to me that you could set yourself up for a healthy, year-round supply.

So, you in on Arizona Day?

Still A Customer."

Comment

I'll say sure, but odds are I'll forget about it in a day or two. That was why I asked about candy, food helps me remember stuff.
                        "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away," and he proceeds to swallow his own eye. Xiahou Dun

Comment

I am guessing you won't forget about that link though, huh?

Don't worry, when the day approaches, I will have mad posts in here about it.

Just ordered my t-shirt/hat combo yesterday...sure hope it gets here in time. (insert fidgety nervous smiley that we don't have on this site right about here...)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Today my Arizona Centennial t-shirt and hat arrived. Having already received my mini Arizona flags and my Arizona Centennial beer coozies (no...really!), I am primed and ready to go for Arizona Day next Tuesday.

Now, if only I could find a copy of the Presidential Proclamation (or Congressional passage, whatever) that officially made Arizona the 48th State, that would be awesome. If anyone here can help with this, it would be even more awesome.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Still A Customer."

Comment

some links to interesting documents including S.J. Res. 57, Joint Resolution to admit the Territories of New Mexico and Arizona as States into the Union, August 16, 1911
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X