This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At my wits end

Frankly very close just to giving up, life keeps kicking me when I am down..and I am loosing the will to keep fighting...

Tried to connect to work tonight, and couldn't .. despite being able (obviously) to connect to the internet normally. For FOUR hours I kept trying .. and trying .. and trying..but nothing..called their technical support crew..my lead.. etc..they claim it is on my end (my router) that I've had for about 3 months now..so they do not have to pay me for all the hours I have tried and failed to get into work. So I am getting ZERO hours tonight. This obviously can not keep up..no hours = no money..and that will mean I am homeless before long.

I try to do the right thing every day of my life. Generous, nice, gentle..and every opportunity it gets life kicks me in the nether regions. I am just so close to giving up all hope. I have a few bright lights still in my life, Marmalady, my friends..but I am just so tired of the fight. Health, finances, bad luck/karma/whatever. I just don't know what to do.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

I'm sorry, hun.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Keep the chin up. We are here to help.

What can you tell us about the remote access? Where in the process is it failing?
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Wish I could help you, sweetie.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ok here is the process by which I log into the system..as much as I can give without giving away too much...

I load a cd, which reads all of the information needed to access a system I will call working system..not called that but..anyhow. After everything loads up I have to put in my user name/password/domain name. Loads up some more...

Now once working system is fully loaded I have to bring up several other systems. One of which is an IM chat that lets me talk real time to supervisors etc to get any authorization I might not have or answers to questions I do not know...

and that is where the system was failing. None of my applications I needed to do my job would load, and the IM chat would load..but I would type something and it would show up 5-10 minutes later..and it would disconnect me from the im. Their tech people spent 4 hours trying to help me figure it out..and they were clueless. Except to say that my router, same one I have been using for several months..was the issue.

Whatever it was..finally after 6 hours I was able to get in and work 2 and 1/2 hours..so 8 hrs ..get paid for 2 1/2...yay.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Next time you have a problem like that, do a 'traceroute' or 'tracepath' while the problem is occurring. That's a diagnostic which will make it very clear (to someone techie) where the problem is.

On a unix/linux system: open a shell, type 'traceroute <name of workplace machine>' or 'tracepath <name of workplace machine>'.
            Take a screenshot or cut-and-paste. Send to tech.

On a windows system: Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Type 'tracert <name of workplace machine>'.

If you don't know the actual name of the machine you're supposed to connect to, use the hostname portion of their website.

For instance, to traceroute to here, I'd use 'traceroute www.customerssuck.com'

If you want our techs to tell you where the problem is, post a copy to us as well. Use the Tech Help subforum from the Unsupportable forum.

Now - that only helps with one thing. It's a small help, but it might help tip things the right way.
            Last edited by Seshat; 02-19-2012, 05:59 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ok.but if it is a cd...how do I find the path to that? I will have to ask somebody what the path is tomorrow..

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                I load a cd,
                I was afraid of that. When the app loads, it is probably creating a VPN tunnel to their servers. Everything is embedded in the application so that you have no knowledge of the system names, IP addresses, etc. If you are computer savvy, you might be able to pull up some of the information. However, they whole idea is to keep you ignorant of the underlying processes so that you are less likely to try and hack or allow their systems to be hacked.

The slow response and disconnect on the IM was probably due to the VPN tunnel not being established. The IM app probably could not connect to its server.

What is your network configuration? DSL? Cable?
                What is the make and model of your router?
                Wired or Wireless?
                What OS are you running?
                How many other computers are attached to the router?
                Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  I was afraid of that. When the app loads, it is probably creating a VPN tunnel to their servers. Everything is embedded in the application so that you have no knowledge of the system names, IP addresses, etc. If you are computer savvy, you might be able to pull up some of the information. However, they whole idea is to keep you ignorant of the underlying processes so that you are less likely to try and hack or allow their systems to be hacked.

The slow response and disconnect on the IM was probably due to the VPN tunnel not being established. The IM app probably could not connect to its server.

What is your network configuration? DSL? Cable?
                  What is the make and model of your router?
                  Wired or Wireless?
                  What OS are you running?
                  How many other computers are attached to the router?
                  DSL, netgear will have to get back to you on make and model..eyes are tired and can't read right now..wired..windows 7..1

Comment

I'm probably stating the obvious here & you've done it ten times already... but have you powered the router on & off again?

I had to do that to my old linksys occasionally, it had fits where it would let some thing connect but not others.
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

The VPN server is - depending on the size of the company - likely to be hosted in the same server room as their web server. (Mega corporations won't work that way, but if they're a small company with only four or five racks of servers, it'll probably all be in the one server room.)

Thus, the chances are good - unless it's a mega corp - that if you traceroute to their web server, you can at least narrow it down to your end, their end, or somewhere in the middle.

If you do a traceroute or tracepath to their web server and it's nice and clear and clean; you've proven that it's not your router.

It might be their VPN app. It might be their VPN. It might be their router. But it ain't yours.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ok here is some more pertinent information (after I have rested..heh was getting cross eyed after hours and hours of trying to figure things out). The netgear is a n150, not sure what make unless in is wnr1000 v3.

Also I boot to the disk..and when I am working am not on windows. They had me switching back and forth to do things like ping test, etc (which is when I was posting my frustration). Also, yes they had me power cycle several times..which is powering off the pc, modem (I will get to this), and router. Then powering back on the modem, waiting till everything settled with it, then router, waiting, and finally pc.

I have a westell modem 7500, which is in 'bridge' mode because that is how they want it. So that it works just as a modem, and not as a modem/router. My service provider helped me set everything up, so I know the settings are correct there.

When I am in working machine* they have the ability to remote access my system, block websites, etc. So that they can tell if I am doing something I am not supposed to while working. What was happening is, when I logged onto 'working machine' my ping would jump up to 1000ms, when normally it was 29ms. Not sure if it is my computer settings, or what that caused this..and it did eventually correct itself. I will find out the server name (If I can) that working machine uses and run a tracer. Only problem is when I am in windows..have no problems..ping is 29/30 ms. It was only when I was booted to the disk that the ping jumped..and not sure how to do the cmd when in working machine.

Off topic..there are other ways to access cmd when using windows . Start and typing command in the search bar, holding the windows button on a keyboard and hitting R and typing cmd will also do it . Actually studying to be a IT person lol. Still have a LOT to learn, though.

Comment

You're not running through a firewall, are you? I'm asking, because my office uses a VPN, so some people can work while on vacation. Every so often, when their machines update Windows, the connections sometimes get blocked. Not often, but enough to be annoying. Usually, a few mouse clicks is enough to set an exception, and things work again.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have firewalls, but again..it has worked/did work later..so not sure what is going on...

Comment

When I saw "N150" I was wonder if that may be the problem. Nice little router, but it is not good with heavy traffic. However, when you boot to the CD, there is no traffic from your computer, except to corp. I highly doubt that you are generating enough traffic to kill an N150.

I use to have an N150. With the "stuff" I do, I killed it.

The 1000ms ping is a symptom of the problem. Latency it too high. Now the question is "why?"

If you run something like bittorrent, while running Windows, you may still have several peers trying to connect. Even after you reboot. Resetting the modem will not fix that as the peers will continue to try and reconnect.

When browsing the web, do you after get "Server not responding" messages?

The other thing you might want to check is the router logs. If your systems was under attack, that could eat into your bandwidth.

If you had not done so already, I would have recommended bridge mode. It eliminates the overhead of the double NAT.

Crossing my finger and saying my prayers that you don't have the problem again.
                              Save the Ales!

Comment

Working...
                              X