X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Taunt The Weather....

Something I learned last night.

A massive storm system moved through our area, they've been calling gloom-and-doom for a couple of days beforehand. Since they have been wrong every other time, we just kinda ignored the "WINTER IS COMING" warnings.

And then, I literally made a facebook post laughing at the weather, and how our town was sitting, literally, five miles from the edge of the storm. I kid you not, five miles away, and there was six inches of snow. Being my typical self, I did a little war dance and was like HOW DO YOU LIKE US NAO, WEATHER?!?!

Thirty minutes later, the storm shifted our direction, and dumped about eight inches onto our home. Three hours later, no power. For twelve hours.

<sigh>
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Life lesson duly learned - never taunt the "powers" of nature, the universe, or karma.

I learned it early by seeing it in action as a child. We (my parents, sister & I) were visiting my grandparents, and decided to take my grandfather out for a drive one evening. As he didn't drive, he was usually limited to people driving him to the store, the doctor, etc. So we were driving all over the countryside for a more scenic drive.

And we had a flat tire. My dad had a spare, we piled out of the car, my dad changed it, we got back into the car, got on with our drive and my grandfather had to utter the taunt - "Well, now that's taken care of, watch us have another one".

Yep, you guessed it, two flat tires on one evening outing and I still blame my grandfather's remark for it.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Isn't this known as "tempting fate"?

Anyone see the West Wing episode where Josh and Toby made Sam go outside turn around 3 times, spit and swear for saying, I believe, that Mendoza was a lock to be confrimed to the bench? I believe Toby also gave a lecture about tempting fate.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Come live in my neck of the woods and try that, Seraph. We'll find you in late April when the snow melts.

Of course, this year (knock on wood) has been so mild that Winter Wrap Up would get cancelled...
        We'll see if Baseball Opening Day gets snowed out again.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

If I remember correctly, I think you're down at my college. They actually shut down for once because of the weather.

And lost their server connection.

So, of course, I had homework due that I couldn't submit online >.<

More reason not to taunt the weather.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            Come live in my neck of the woods and try that, Seraph. We'll find you in late April when the snow melts.
            Ogodno.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            Winter Wrap Up would get cancelled....
            Did someone use magic? I KNOW SOMEONE USED MAGIC! Why on earth pony would they do that?!

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            If I remember correctly, I think you're down at my college. They actually shut down for once because of the weather.

And lost their server connection.

So, of course, I had homework due that I couldn't submit online >.<

More reason not to taunt the weather.
            Oh hey, you're down by Tech? Schweeeet.

Comment

I got Mother Nature all pissed off. The weatherfolk here are getting a big hard on about a supposed huge blizzard this Sunday into Monday (so far it seems), talking 6-12 inches.

Yeah, call me a nut, but I put in for Monday off next week, just in case.

I am hoping if this is true, it STAYS as a late Sunday thing, because I will be on the road and usually like to go to my family's place out of town on Sundays.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post

Did someone use magic? I KNOW SOMEONE USED MAGIC! Why on earth pony would they do that?!
                It wasn't me! I swear! I learned that lesson a LONG time ago.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

No offense Seraph, but I'm not sympathetic. As far as I'm concerned, the second you did that little war dance, you had it coming.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    No offense Seraph, but I'm not sympathetic. As far as I'm concerned, the second you did that little war dance, you had it coming.
                    ...my husband is calling it my snow dance now. :<

Comment

Wapsi Square riffs on this theme: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/attack-of-the-ic/

and http://wapsisquare.com/comic/every-year/
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We headed to my mum's this past weekend, driving the NYS thruway on Friday. Rob made the comment about the lovely drive in the vicinity of Schnectedy, by just before the first Syracuse exit a lake effect storm hit us.

I have no issue driving in a lake effect storm, because I know that generally in about 15 miles it will clear up again.
                        Magically, somewhere near Junius Ponds the flurry cleared up again.

Rob fully understands why I consider Connecticut to not have winter.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          ...my husband is calling it my snow dance now. :<
                          Don't blame him. You're the one who taunted Murphy.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

My husband and I laugh that we just we forced to move to Nevada and it's a BAD winter back in Alaska. I'll take your snow though, I miss it.

Comment

....ooooh, new comic to peruse!

Comment

Working...
                              X