X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Obsessive-Compulsive-Drunk" -- long

AHHH! *lights cigarette*

OK, now that I got that out, I'll tell you about my lovely day in Framing Land (and why I am thankful I put in my 2 weeks notice). (I understand if you want to skip to the end for the best part, the rest is to emphasize literally how long I was with this guy today, and how much of an asshat he was)

Today, I went in at 5 o'clock with little to do. We are ahead, so I am not rushed to complete anything which is nice. Well, 5:30 rolls around and I get the most obnoxious, out of control customer I have ever had to deal with -- Mr. Obsessive Compulsive Drunk. He took up literally 3 HOURS of my time -- I was working a 4 HOUR SHIFT! This is a long one, so go pee, grab a drink, and sympathize with this retail girl.

He comes in at 5:30 and asks for a piece of foamboard backing (but it took him 30 minutes to do this. I don't know why, maybe he thought I wouldn't do it for him, but I did). So, it's 6 o'clock at that point and he is going through ALL of my mat samples (that I spent 2 hours organizing yesterday...ugh...) He's pulling out random mats and throwing them on the counter, asking me if I have them in stock. So I cover the first initial situation: the ones in stock are the one's with the pink stickers on the back. Even if they have a pink sticker, it does not mean we have them, because we have no (easy) way of knowing what is in stock.

First, he pulls out 5 different mats, none of which have a pink sticker on the back. He throws them at the counter. Conversation as follows:

OCD: Yeah, I want these ones. I like 'em best.
    Me: *flipping them over*...none of these have pink stickers on them. We'd have to order them for you but that will take a week. Do you need these for a particular day?
    OCD: *looong drawn out sigh, typical reaction* No I don't need them for a specific date, I was just hoping you had them.
    Me: *did I stutter earlier?* I can order them for you. That is the most I can do. Otherwise, I will have to find similar mats that we keep in the back.
    OCD: Yes!!! Look in the back! Find these ones!
    Me: *I believe if you are wearing a red apron, NO one listens to you*

I head in the back and look for what I told him I would look for -- similar mats. I pull out one (32 by 40) mat and bring it out to him.

Me: This is the closest thing I can find.
    OCD: Ooooh Hell no that is ugly.
    Me: *Doesn't like people that swear at her counter -- right next to the kid's crafts*
    OCD: You can't find me anything else?
    Me: If you find a mat that has a pink sticker on the back, I can probably find that one for you, but our stock is limited because we don't specialize in this.
    OCD: Oh. OK. *looks through mats* How about this one? *actually picks one with pink sticker*
    Me: *elated* OK. Well, I will see if we have that one in the back.

I go and look though hundreds of mats. Can't find the one he picked out for beans, and nothing that looks similar to it. And I just want this all to be over, but he isn't the type that likes to leave.

Me: Sorry, it looks like we don't have this one either.
    OCD: Awww MAN.
    Me: *relieved he didn't make a scene about the pink sticker theory* Well, would you like to find something else? I showed you everything that was similar to the other things you liked.
    OCD: OK. Um. Well, what do you think looks better? *holds up a mat with a frame he made himself -- no artwork*
    Me: That's nice. I can't really tell you what the overall project will look like without artwork present.
    OCD: Damn my stupid Mother -- it's her fault, she rushes me all over the place, you know?
    Me *HATES when people talk poorly of their parents* ...yeah.
    OCD: Can't you just cut me a break this once?
    Me: To be honest, I am not even sure what you are asking me to do yet.
    OCD: Just find me a mat like this one. I'll take whatever you have.

That was music to my ears, but like anything else, it was too good to be true. I brought him out 6 separate mats (remember, these things are HUGE!) and he denied every single one. I put them all back, which consisted of 15 minutes of my time with him. Then, he wants to see two of the ones I brought out earlier. I bring them out, and he decides.

I put in his order and send it through the system. While I am doing this, he starts soliciting my customers!!!!

A man was coming up to ask me a question about our sales and when they would be occurring -- well, OCD butts in: (let RM be Random Man)

OCD: You know, I make these frames all the time. From REAL wood.
    RM: Oh really? I buy here all the time, I really need a 24-36 frame.
    OCD: I can make you one for MUCH less than what they charge here.
    Me: *Standing RIGHT across from both of them*
    OCD: Sorry, I don't mean to steal your customers, but I do have a better deal.
    Me:

OCD and RM exchange numbers, and I feel really bad that RM has this annoying SOB's number. But that is what he gets. After he did that right in front of me, I was NOT about to help this guy out. But my job requires me to. So I go on. (I know everyone here just WANTED me to kick this guy's ass out right then, but I couldn't. Simply not allowed)

Well, as I said, I put the order through and agreed to have it done for him by the end of the night. The reason for this is because I didn't want anyone else to have to deal with what I just dealt with. He said he would be in before we closed to pick everything up. At that point, it was 8 o'clock. He gave me one hour to finish a project I knew took me a lot longer. But whatever.

I go to start his project, and begin cutting mats. I have all of the measurements drawn out, where every mark needs to be made. This is the hardest part about cutting mats, because everything must be extremely accurate. Then, I get a phone call:

Me: ***'s Framing, how can I --
    OCD: No..you make a left...a LEFT...
    Me: *um ok...about to hang up*
    OCD: Is this Framing?
    Me:....yes....
    OCD: Oh...This is OCD...how is the order going?
    Me: *well you left about 20 minutes ago, how do YOU think it is going?* I just got everything started. It will be finished before we close
    OCD: You didn't put that order through, did you?
    Me: *duh* Yeah, why?
    OCD: Well, you're not far along are you?
    Me: *oh, if he even asks..* No. I just started it.
    OCD: OK, ok. Well, I need you to cancel it. I decided I would just order the mats I like.
    Me: *!@#$* OK. *!@#$*
    OCD: So can I do a return on the phone?
    Me: No, I need you here in person, and my manager available to make the return.
    OCD: But I really need the money.
    Me: Are you coming in tomorrow? You can just do it then.
    OCD: *theatrical sigh, once more* I guess I will. Bye

Well, at that point, I am both relieved and pissed that he canceled his order. For one, the time I spent with him was phenomenal. I am usually supposed to spend 35 minutes with each customer when taking an order. We agreed he would come in tomorrow and we would work out all of the bugs (because an entirely different process needs to be done for ordering) and that was fine.

15 minutes later, the phone rings again.

Me: ***'s Framing, how can I -- *wow he likes to cut people off!*
    OCD: DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS??!
    Me: *Does he always answer the phone like this?* Umm...OCD?
    OCD: Yeah! I was just at the bar!
    Me: *I am being drunk dialed.* Oh?
    OCD: Yeah, well, I need you to have the things cut for me for tomorrow. I don't want to come in and be standing and waiting around all morning.
    Me: *Oh-no-you-DIDN'T* Sir, I will have them for you tomorrow. *Not even sure WHAT he wants to have since he just canceled his entire order!*
    OCD: OK thank YOU!

I attract the WEIRDEST people. But if you thought this was over, you've obviously never read my previous posts from weirdos in framing land!

Guess what time it is? Yup! 5-til-close -- best time in the world for all retail workers, and best time in the world for all SC's. OCD shows up -- HAMMERED -- and I do NOT want to deal with him.

OCD: HEY!!!
    Me: ....heeey.
    OCD: I was just over at Buffalo Wild Wings -- man they put WAY too much vodka in my margarita!
    Me: *WOW is he drunk...* Vodka, eh? Yeah they must have used a lot.
    OCD: Listen, I need the refund now.
    Me: K. *becoming very curt with him, because I need to GO*
    Me: *paging* "MOD to Framing please, MOD to framing."
    MOD: *shows up* What do you need?
    Me: To do a return. *I face her without facing OCD and make a face of oh god, please help me and she understands not to leave during this*
    OCD: WOW I LOVE this store, you guys are so willing to do ANYTHING!
    Me: *oh please, you asshat* OK, I just need your card to complete the --
    OCD: Can you cut a mat for me now?!
    Me: *W. T. F. LEAVE.* Ummm, I don't think I can do that.
    MOD: No, she can't do that.
    OCD: Why not?
    MOD: She's never cut one before. We closed 5 minutes ago. And usually that process takes up to an hour.
    OCD: So you can't have it all ready for me tonight?
    Me: NO.
    OCD: Woooow, I had too much to drink.
    Me:....Ok....
    MOD leaves and the guy is still hanging around my counter. I am closing my section down, and he motions me over.
    OCD: hey...hey...*whispering* you're not going to lose your job over this right?
    Me: *knowing full well I have done nothing wrong* I don't know...she seemed pretty mad...I guess I will find out tomorrow...
    OCD: OMG I feel so bad, I'm sorry.
    Me: No, it's fine. You better go now though before they decide to fire me.
    OCD: OK I will go. But I will be in tomorrow to finish this order.
    Me: *dreading waking up* OK. Be safe.

Exeunt.

I sit in a chair because I haven't done this in awhile. Finally, I have the energy to clock out and leave. I'm approaching the front end of the store, and the MOD and Cashier immediately start cracking up. I got high-fived for handling the situation so well, and was told I should have just "kicked him in the face." If he ever solicits again, I have permission to kick him out.

Sorry that was so painfully long. It was painfully long for me, too. I just wanted to go home, and was excited when I saw the time, right before he got there.

Chances are I will let you know how tomorrow goes. I am very much hoping he is too hungover to wake up earlier than 10 o'clock.
    JB: Are you the grief counselor?
    GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Yay for getting out of there! I really dont know how you lasted as long as you did! That place sounds so crazy. Good luck on the job search!

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
      Yay for getting out of there! I really dont know how you lasted as long as you did! That place sounds so crazy. Good luck on the job search!
      Thank you!!

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Quoth AngryCas View Post
        Me: *I am being drunk dialed.* Oh?
        I don't know why, but that gave me the giggles!

Quoth AngryCas View Post
        OCD: I was just over at Buffalo Wild Wings -- man they put WAY too much vodka in my margarita!
        Yeah, the sure did Sparky....especially since margaritas don't have vodka in them!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Well....if there's any solace to be had in this, it's that your slosher seems to be somewhat of the happy variety--the Foster Brooks type.

As opposed to the angry variety, which can sometimes have a tendency to want to start fights with mannequins. I personally haven't yet dealt with one of these, but some of my co-workers could tell stories from when we used to be open 24 hours right before Christmas.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

weird that you couldn't kick him out for soliciting in your store; we can do that (although we have to do it discretely).

private businesses generally don't allow it, but at least for future purposes, you can, but just...WTF?
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Yeah, the sure did Sparky....especially since margaritas don't have vodka in them!
              Yay I'm not the only one who caught that! And I don't even like margaritas! (But I do like vodka...)
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Yay I'm not the only one who caught that! And I don't even like margaritas! (But I do like vodka...)
                And I don't like vodka! Of course, the only way I'll drink tequila is in a margarita. I will drink rum straight. And then there's Scotch, especially single malts....mmmm!

Comment

I always get my margirita's with vodka instead of tequila. Can't stand tequila.

I'm aware that a Vodka margirita has it's own name. Just like a rum margirita is a daquiri. I just can never remember what it's called.

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post

I'm aware that a Vodka margirita has it's own name. Just like a rum margirita is a daquiri. I just can never remember what it's called.
                    I guess I forgot to mention that first he said vodka...then he said tequila....and out of nowhere he decided he had too much rum. He was throwing his words all over the place!

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
                      Its called delicious.....Sorry I couldn't resist....
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post

If a margarita is made with anything other than tequila, cointreau (or triple sec), and lime juice, it's no longer a margarita (yes, I know that's there are flavors, this is the pure margarita). A daiquiri is not a "rum margarita". While the origins of the margarita are not entirely certain, it is most certainly a Mexican drink. The daiquiri is named for a town in Cuba and is made of rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. What your calling a "vodka margarita" is probably a Cosmopolitan, which has cranberry juice.

/nitpick off/

Comment

I cannot believe that you could not kick him out when he started soliciting another customer. When that happened, he was no longer a customer, but a competitor.

When he said that he was sorry, that he didnt mean to steal a customer, you should have replied:

"You're sorry and you didnt mean it? That didnt seem to stop you from doing it though."

YOU FAIL!!!
                          I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Working...
                          X