Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking to check backpacks is discrimination!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking to check backpacks is discrimination!

We have many regular customers at work. They're some of the nicest, most polite and friendliest people I have ever met except for one guy. I will not describe him other than to say he has a slightly difficult-to-understand accent.

He comes up to my register and I scan and bag his items.
    Me: May I check your backpack?
    Guy: You want to check my bag?
    M: Yes.
    G: What for?
    M: Store policy is to ask to check all bags larger than A4 size.
    G: But what for?
    M: In case you put something in your bag and didn't pay for it. (I was trying to explain this simply cos I don't think he understood me too well.)
    He pulls out several containers that obviously held his lunch from earlier that day.
    G: These are from here.
    M: Yes but you didn't take those today.
    G: How do you know?
    M: You have a fork in one and the labels are worn.
    He huffs and puts his (now paid-for) items into his bag, then puts it on his back.
    G: What if I did this?
    He walks a few metres back into the store, then back to my register.
    G: Check again. I have this in my bag!
    He opens his bag and indicates his recent purchases.
    M: Yes but you just paid for them. I put your receipt in your (plastic) bag.
    He huffs.
    M: My supervisor is just over there. (I didn't want to deal with him anymore.)
    I call over the sup and the guy goes to customer service (right behind my register).

The conversation goes on for about 10 minutes while I serve other customers. The sup was just trying to explain that it's store policy to check all bags larger than A4. The guy claims that we never check other people's backpacks or prams and things. (Which, of course, we always do.) He tried to say that his bag is his property, so we can't ask to check it.

Meanwhile, and older man comes through my line and I immediately ask to check his backpack. I then realize that he'd probably have difficulty taking it off (he seemed to have a limited range of motion) and anyway, he refused. I felt bad for asking anyway. He was very nice about it.

In the end, the other sup printed out the store policy or legal rights or something of the store for the guy. Basically, our right is to check bags larger than A4 if we display signs that we will (and we do have signs). His right is to not have smaller bags checked and we aren't allowed to touch his bag or dig around in it.

The guy was very upset and we all had a laugh about it after he left.

A co-worker later told me that, on a previous visit, he'd purchased a DVD. She didn't deactivate the sticker (by accident - we try to but we can't always do it). The sensor beeped and he yelled "I'm not a thief" and threw the DVD on the ground. What a jerk!
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

well, geez, nothing looks better then a guy yelling, "I am not a theif!", and dropping the bag. I would be all *later of course*, "Who let Nixon in here???" heh
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

If a thief said "I am not a chrook" just the right way I would High Five and let him on his way. Just for comedic value - of course the police would be called the second they leave my property (as per our laws).
      SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
      ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
      and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

What is an A4 bag?
        What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
          What is an A4 bag?
          A bag that can hold a sheet of A4 paper comfortably?
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

If a thief said "I am not a chrook" just the right way I would High Five and let him on his way.
            Not likely to work in this part of the world, I'm afraid - esp with the younger generation. And this person 'Nixon' isn't likely to be known either.

Speaking of which... I once mentioned that I'd just finished reading Homer's Iliad and Odyssey - and I got in reply "Homer??? Homer Simpson?????" - no - she wasn't joking .

BTW - some years ago, I had heard that demanding to look in someone's bags is a breach of the Privacy Act - regardless of the signs you put up... probably worth checking out somewhere (and not just taking the word of a security guy...)

Slyt

Oh - and an A4 bag is anything about the size of a piece of A4 - thus handbags and the like.
            When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

And A4 is the size of a piece of paper ... it's stems from A0 being folded in half four times, in alternating directions.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

In our store we dont even let people bring in bags that big. We have had shelves instailed and a sign that you can miss as soon as you walk in. But people still try it and get upset. Had one ask if its that serious. Ummm you could be stealing or worse yet have a wepon hidden in it. I dont know about you but Im not taking any chances. And this guy should already know the drill its not his first time there.

Comment

I know the OP is from Australia and things might be different but in America from what I understand, purchases are covered and can be searched because you purchased everything in plain sight and have no expectation of privacy to those items. But the purse or backpack are more touchy because even if their are signs posted unless the signs are impossible to miss the person can claim they didn't see it and therefore did not agree to having their items searched. If they do not give permission the store either has to refund the purchase and not allow the person to shop without agreeing to a search or allow them to leave with their purchase without searching. The store can decide to call the police but without just cause (video or witness of theft) the police can't search and the person can sue the store for slander. Costco and other member stores are different because usually their is a membership agreement that includes a bag search clause.

Comment

The odd thing that I note here is the number of times I've taken a backpack into stores and not been asked about it...

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    And A4 is the size of a piece of paper ... it's stems from A0 being folded in half four times, in alternating directions.
                    Well, to be more precise, it comes from A0 paper (sized at 841 × 1189mm for an area of 1m^2) being cut into half parallel to the shorter sides to preserve the ratio 1 : 2root 2.

But your method works exactly the same - A4 is 210 × 297mm, or 8.3 × 11.7 inches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...lustration.svg
                    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/sh.../bagcheck.html

Click on the .pdf file just under the big "bag check guidelines" title. It's very simple but words the policies perfectly.

In addition to signs at the entrances, on our store music system is a message regarding the bag checking policy, which plays every 15 mins or so. Almost all stores around here have a similar policy posted in their window/entrance.
                      Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
                      Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
                      <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Hey Sarah... thanks for the link - I was wondering where it would be (not that I really bothered looking recently).

The problem is - it's a 'guideline' and not 'law', as per the 'If a shopkeeper or employee forcibly detains you or forcibly searches your goods, and you have not committed an offence, you are entitled to make a complaint to the police, the store management or Privacy NSW.'

BTW - that's for NSW.. VIC could be different.

And from the AFP website:
                        There is currently no specific legislation dealing with business owners rights to check customer's bags or search a person. However, you can set conditions of entry. These conditions can include presenting bags, parcels, cartons, or containers for checking by staff. ...

You cannot detain someone just because they have refused to let you check their bags. You must have reasonable grounds for detaining them.

So - unfortunately, it's still a gray area, and the business owners and employees have no legal right to do a bag check if someone does not give consent - regardless of any signs.

hmmm.....

Slyt
                        When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I don't actually mind having my bag searched. I understand why they are doing it. There are two things that irk me though.

First and foremost is when people tell me that I need to leave my bag at the Customer Service desk, or check out or what not. I trust you as much as you trust me. I don't trust you to not look in my bag, or not steal from my bag. I have no way of proving that you have or have not done either. The majority of the time I had ~$500 worth of CDs plus ~$250 worth of textbooks in my bag. I don't want to leave that lying around, no matter how secure your area is.

The second is that my bag will be searched, but Misses Momma with her entire life and possible the first season of friends in her purse, isn't. Just rubs me the wrong way.
                          Always,
                          Craven Morhead
                          --
                          ... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
                            Speaking of which... I once mentioned that I'd just finished reading Homer's Iliad and Odyssey - and I got in reply "Homer??? Homer Simpson?????" - no - she wasn't joking .
                            Thank you. I just died a little inside.

<Goes home to comfort his copy of Edith Hamilton's Mythology and 1929 translation of The Odyssey>
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth cravenmorhead View Post
                              The second is that my bag will be searched, but Misses Momma with her entire life and possible the first season of friends in her purse, isn't. Just rubs me the wrong way.
                              I've seen the purse vs. backpack double standard several times and it drives me nuts.

At our football stadium - no backpacks allowed. Purses twice the size of my backpack? sure bring them in.

Same goes for several other places. I once saw my male friend being told he couldn't bring a messenger style backpack into a movie theatre. Guess what he did? He brought it to me and my girlfriend waiting in the snack line and told her to act it was a giant purse. They let her in with it.

End of
                              My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

Working...
                              X