This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing self respect for gamestop

ALL of my threads will be about working @ gamestop, so brace yourself if you think you like them!

i'm the ASM @ a gamestop. this is why i NEVER anwer the phones before open or after close.

9:05 pm eastern standard time... we close @ 9 pm
    *ring ring ring*
    me: gamestop.
    dick: (thick southern drawl) hi. are you open?
    me: no, sir. we just closed 5 minutes ago.
    dick: well, why the hell did you answer the phone?
    me: because i't common courtesy in the business world, SIR.
    dick: if you're closed, then you shouldn't answer the phone. that's dumb.
    me: no, that would be your problem, sir. and trust me, i won't answer again.
    I HANG UP

another reason for letting the phone ring during business hours:
    *ring ring ring*
    me: thank you for calling gamestop. this is *, how can i help you?
    redneck teenager: ya'll got any rock band bundles for ps2?
    me: i think so. let me check, though.
    redneck teenagers friends start talking in the background @ this point.
    dipshit friends: hang up, man. she says they have it. just hang up.
    me: sir, i would advise you to stay on the phone because if you hang up on me you'll never know that we have them for sure. and, if i do have any in stock, i'll be forced to put them in the back and not sell them to anyone until i'm sure that i am not selling them to some young punk. and that could take weeks.
    redneck teenager: *laughs* well, ok then. i guess i can wait.

Quoth laurenam83 View Post
    ALL of my threads will be about working @ gamestop, so brace yourself if you think you like them!
    Oh, the companies often aren't the problem

Rapscallion

Comment

Hoooorah! Another Video Game store type!

[Former EB closer and key holder here]

And Welcome to !
      Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

All I'm going to say is this: I feel your pain.

The callers aren't what get me after close, it's the people that try to pull on the locked door even though the lights are off and the gates are closed.
        Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth laurenam83 View Post
          Oh, it's been some time since I thought I liked GameStop.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Oh, the companies often aren't the problem
          Oh, no. With GameStop, corporate is pretty much the problem, from everything I've heard.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Half the problem. Because my god do we get some bad customers. So yeah, half the problem, but still significant.

Comment

Well, with corporate the way it is, a lot of the decent gamer customers are going elsewhere.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hate when people get mad at you for answer the phone either before or after close. When I worked at Pizza Hut we would answer the phone after closing because if something happened to an employee out on the road still or to a family member we need to know. All the idiots just couldn't understand that even after you've explained it to them 10 different way. Jeez I hate stuipd people *giggle*

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  Well, with corporate the way it is, a lot of the decent gamer customers are going elsewhere.

^-.-^
                  I guess lucky for my store we're the only ones with video games besides Walmart within an hour from our town. Which kind of sucks for some people, but if there were say, I don't know, a Best Buy around, I would probably lose all my good customers that really make it worth it going to work.

Corporate's greatest sin this month:

Putting Avirl Lavigne's "Girlfriend" on March's GS TV. Mosy annoying song. Ever. Poor ASM caught himself singing along with it, midway through yelled, "I CAN'T STOP OH GOD I CAN'T STOP!"

Comment

I have to admit, I like the 2 GameStops around here. Doesn't hurt to know the manager of one of the stores...

Anyway, let me explain. 3rd daughter got a PS2 game for Christmas. PS2 decides at that moment for its laser to die.

OK, I can either get another laser, or spend a little more for a used PS2. I decide to just go to GameStop and get a used PS2 for $99 with a 30-day warranty.

Surprise #1 - Got a refurbished PS2 with a year warranty for a little over $70. Store employee says that I can bring in my broken PS2, and they'll give me $20 for it.

Surprise #2 - I go to GameStop with my old PS2, they give me $25. I use that for my 2nd daughter's birthday present (Legend of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass for her new DS).

So, I only have positive things to say about GameStop.

Comment

I worked as an ASM at a GameStop about a month.

The store manager was my major problem. He kept asking me if I'd be able to handle the job with my bad hand. Then, he'd only tell me half of my responsibilities (like the daily stock count when I opened, he never told me it HAD to be done BEFORE the store opened. Just that it had to be done. So I'd hold off on doing it until I had a cashier in the store, and do it then so I wouldn't be running around with my head cut off trying to remember what I'd just counted.)

The biggest problem came when I went to Vegas for my brother's wedding. Now, mind you, I'd okayed this trip with the SM the day he hired me, and I saw him write down the dates in the planner, since the calendar for that month wasn't in it yet. So, I go to Vegas for a weekend, and, the last day of the trip, I call the store to make sure I'm not working. "You're scheduled to close tonight." "You realize I'm in Vegas and won't be landing in Texas until at least 9:00 PM, right?"
                      "No, I didn't know that, I'll take care of it, but we need to have a chat tomorrow, if you could come in...?"

Yeah, he wanted me in to ask if I wanted to continue, what with Christmas coming up, and he didn't think I could handle it.
                      I could've, if I'd started in a position with less pressure. I took his out and quit.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Oh, no. With GameStop, corporate is pretty much the problem, from everything I've heard.

^-.-^
                        According to my husband (who used to be an ASM) it was the scheduling system. As in "You must let KRONOS do it, and follow it's schedule." The computer. (I may have spelled it wrong)

The computer that would schedule the new person to close, and have no managers (the people with actual keys) on after 4.

The computer that will schedule people who don't even work in that store for multiple shifts, while screwing actual employees, because the former once covered a shift 6 months ago.

Yeah.

He used to print the computer schedule, and then make a schedule that actually made sense. Guess which one the employees actually followed.
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I never had any problems with GameStop. I had one problem and that was with a disk I bought from them. But, it got taken care of. Other than that, no problems. Oh I think that you should just not answer any calls afterward the store closes.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

If my only choices for local game purchases were GameStop, WalMart, & Best Buy, I'd buy everything online. But I live near LA (not far from the OC border), so I've got a bajillion choices.

^-.-^

Comment

I worked one shift at gamestop, wherein my manager and co-worker played PSP together and I got to alphabetize the whole store for five hours with no direction... just guesswork.

I clocked out at the end of my shift and never went back.

Comment

Working...
                              X