This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should have said something

One of my many flaws is that I don't deal well with confrontation. Simply stated, I'm afraid of it. For me to actually get in someone's face, I have to get too pissed off to care about any repercussions. That's not to say it never happens, because it does. But it takes a lot for me to get to that point. I get annoyed fairly easily, but it takes a lot to get me truly angry. Few people have seen it happen, and fewer still have seen it happen more than once.

Something happened when I was grocery shopping this past weekend, and I wish I could have brought myself to say something about it, even just politely although it really had me seeing red. As everyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the better part of the year knows, there's a virus going around. And supposedly we're required to wear masks to slow down the spread, but I have yet to see anyone actually enforcing it. I don't like wearing a mask more than anyone else does, but if it's what we need to do so that things can eventually go back to normal, so be it. That being said, I understand that some people may have some medical or other valid reason for not wearing one, so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But a pet peeve of mine lately is people who wear them but do it wrong, i.e. leaving their nose sticking out, or worse yet using the damn thing as a chin strap.

I was checking out, and feeling irritable because it seemed like everyone was in the way, and my claustrophobia was acting up, which I've had problems with long before the masking requirement was imposed. I managed to find a register with only one person, but with my luck, the customer was holding things up. That's not what I'm posting about, because while it was somewhat annoying, she was actually being polite and friendly towards the cashier. I think she had a bunch of questions about her rewards points or something like that, which was what was holding things up. So what was my issue? She had her damn mask around her chin, as if that's going to do any good. Every so often, she'd pull it up so that it was barely covering her mouth, but then she'd pull it down again. And worse yet, she was leaning around the plastic barrier to talk to the cashier. The cashier was this young girl, and while she wasn't trying to back away or anything, maybe she didn't want to seem rude. Either way, she didn't need to catch the virus. Retail generally doesn't provide very good medical insurance, and they may not provide it at all if you're only part-time. I guess the customer noticed me glaring at her, because she apologized for holding things up. But that's not what I was pissed about.

I'll be so glad when this thing is over so I can go back to hating people for other reasons.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

I hate stupidity, especially if it's willful. You can always fall back on hating stupidity.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

You know if I was a cashier, I wouldn't care about "seeming rude" but I would back up and away from anyone who wanted to get in my space in this day and age. No I don't want to get sick because you can't follow the rules, and if that's "rude" then too bad.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        You know if I was a cashier, I wouldn't care about "seeming rude" but I would back up and away from anyone who wanted to get in my space in this day and age.
        One of the cashiers at my work was a raging hypochondriac long before Covid, and recently she just stopped and walked away from the register when a customer pulled down their mask for NO APPARENT REASON when he was rooting through his wallet. He expressed surprise at this, and, as politely as I could manage, I said, "You pulled your mask down, sir."

Comment

Working...
        X