This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope you fix cars better than you follow directions

This actually happened over Labor Day weekend, but I'm just now getting around to posting it. Over the days leading up to the weekend, I noticed my car seemed to be hesitating when I went to start it. It always started right up, but each time it seemed to be hesitating a little bit longer. Looking back now, I wish I had made an appointment with the dealer, where I've gotten almost all the work on it done since I bought it.

That Saturday, we went out to get groceries, and it was getting to the point where I was afraid that every time I started it up might be the last. Unfortunately, my dealer has limited hours Saturday (already closed at that point), isn't open at all Sunday, and I'm not sure about holidays. So I ended up calling a certain chain known for caricatures of its founding members. I'll refer to them at MM&J. I had taken my previous vehicles there in the past, but eventually I started having all my work done at the dealer's, since I figured they'd have the most knowledge about my vehicle, plus if I got all my work done at one place they'd have a history on file. I think the last time I took a car to MM&J was back in the late 90s.

They said they'd try to get to it today, but they couldn't make any promises. OK, that was to be expected, and at least they're open Sundays and would be able to take care of it the next day if they couldn't get to it the same day. I talked to the mechanic who would be working on my car, and he wrote up the work order. Turned out they still had my info from the last time I was there over 20 years ago. My home phone hasn't changed since then, but then he pointed to another number on the papers and asked if that was my cell phone. It was actually my work number, which is also still the same as way back then. I don't think I even had a cell phone yet, actually. I told him no, that was my work number, and gave him my cell number and told him that was the best number to reach me. I watched him cross out my work number and write down my cell number as I gave it to him. He said he'd call me to tell me know what he found.

I was expecting a call early the next morning, since he told me they opened at 9. I slept in until close to noon like I normally do during the weekends, but kept my cell phone on so he could reach me. I hadn't received a call, so I called in and asked what was going on. He told me the starter motor needed replaced, but he'd be able to get it done that day. OK, I was a little annoyed that he hadn't called me, but I was happy that I'd be getting my car back that day. I actually thought it was the alternator, but I'm not a car guy so what do I know? He said he'd call me when it was done.

Later that afternoon, I still hadn't received a call. So I called again, and he told me it was almost done and I could come pick it up. So I got a ride out to the shop, paid my bill, and got my car. It was a little more expensive than I had hoped, but these things happen. I drove my car home, happy to have it back, although at the same time somewhat annoyed that he never called me like he said he was going to.

Tuesday morning, I logged onto my company laptop. There were two voicemails in my email (that's how voicemails come through now), and my first thought was who the hell is calling me on a Sunday? Actually, I almost never get calls on my work phone anymore, and if I do it's usually either a wrong number or a scammer. So I played the voicemails, and guess who it was? The mechanic, who I told no, that's not my cell number, this is my cell number and this is the number I want you to call. So naturally, he called my work number even after I told him that's not a good number to reach me. Interestingly enough, he tried to call me shortly before I called him the first time on Sunday, so he probably thought that I was getting his messages.

So far, the car is holding up fine, but it makes me uneasy trusting someone with something complex like a car repair when they can't even follow simple instructions.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right
Working...
X