This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired from academeia back to anything

Well I got fired from that 'great' job I got at the college that I spent 8 years for almost 2 degrees at and spent a mortgages worth of loans at.

February 27th,

It seemed like an almost normal Friday, no professors around that much, my boss left for a 'meting' as soon as I arrived. 2 hours later the department chair comes in, prints out document and asks me to come with her. We go the next classroom over and there is a HR droid waiting. I'm being fired for "no reason”. Yes our contracts have a "no reason" clause in the first six months. They just paid me off an extra paycheck, about $1132. When I asked for a real reason they said 'no' and that right now "you are still eligible for future employment". WTF... is that a threat? Of course this is one month before they would have to put a real reason in my file and the end of the preexisting condition clause of the insurance and just the last couple days I said that I might have several doctors appointments and a possible surgery this summer. Of course I was never able to get a day off to use what coverage I had so I still have teeth getting ready to break.

ngahhhhh.

So I have moved far far away..3500 miles or so to Missouri and after 3 months with my paretns we have mutiallly annoyed eachother to the point of mom kicking me out. So now im still on unemployment and leasing an apartment in a city where i know no one else.

Oh yeah that surgery was on my leg. I have a old and no longer fitting PTB brace and i cant do extended standing or walking till i get a new one.. and the economy is bad and imediate jobs are standing and carrying that i need a long break every few hours.

fuck me

Quoth technopoptart View Post
    I'm being fired for "no reason”. Yes our contracts have a "no reason" clause in the first six months. They just paid me off an extra paycheck, about $1132. When I asked for a real reason they said 'no' and that right now "you are still eligible for future employment".
    Well, that sucks. But I can understand why they're giving "no reason" rather than anything else. If they stick with "no reason" then their cannot possibly be any way for you to sue for unlawful termination. They probably do that with everybody they let go. Them saying you're still eligible for re-hire is them saying they can't afford to keep you, but that you didn't do anything that would make them fire you otherwise. As sucky as it is, it's so they can cover their asses.

Anyway, back to CS.

Hope you have the opportunity soon to start posting regularly, but don't have cause to actually use it.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

On the one hand: Yikes, what a bite!

On the other hand, it does beat being booted on whatever trumped up thing they might have made up if they HAD to let you go and didn't have the 'no reason' option.

On the gripping hand, I can't think of a better town to sit back and reassess in than lil' Colomo! I spent quite a few VERY happy years there and even if the parents are wearing you out, you should be able to recoup just fine there. You'll have new friends and a decent job in no time! I still have a few contacts there. If you wanna PM me a vague outline of your skillsets, I'll let you know if I know anyone.

Comment

Ack! So sorry to hear that happened to you. I hope things turn out for the better. I'm about an hour or so outside St Louie in Sparta, Illinois. There are tons of colleges in this area so maybe you can find something. The main job posting site out here is...hope I remember this right:

www.stlouishelpwanted.com

I have a good doctor in Belleville right across the river. PM me if you want his info or if there is anything I can do.

Take care and good luck.

Comment

You're right down the road from me! I'm about 30 minutes down 70.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

You're close to me as well. I'm in South County St. Louis.

Comment

Working...
            X