X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick question...

Not really.

I was at the mall this evening doing some last-minute Christmas shopping and fighting the crowds. I know I know, shopping the Saturday before Christmas is not my smartest move. Anyway, I was at the register in a clothing store and the cashier was beginning to ring up my purchase, when this woman suddenly appeared beside me and asked where the yoga pants were.

RL (Rude Lady): Where are the yoga pants?
    C (Cashier): *Suddenly turning her attention away from me* Um...what?
    RL: Where are the yoga pants? I bought some pants earlier that I don't like very much. *waggles a store bag with her earlier purchase*
    RL then walks around and behind the cashier stand to throw something away. Meanwhile she's still prattling on...
    RL: I don't like this style of pants. Do you have any without the strip on them? *pulls out her earlier purchase* See, I don't like this strip here, where can I find some all black yoga pants?

C points her in the general direction of the precious pants. C then repeats the instructions a second time, because RL wasn't listening. The entire interruption took a couple minutes and meanwhile I was standing there waiting, mid-transaction.

Hey, a quick question I understand, like asking how to find the bathroom. Other than that, wait your damn turn! Especially since I was the only one in line and was buying one damn thing. I think what irritated me the most was how RL walked up and engaged the cashier as if I wasn't even there.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

The RL should've gone to Customer Service and not interrupt a CSR in the midst of helping another customer.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

And the cashier should have told her she'd be with her as soon as she was finished with your transaction. But I get that sometimes people get blind-sided by rude behavior and just want to get the rude customer out of there ASAP.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        But I get that sometimes people get blind-sided by rude behavior and just want to get the rude customer out of there ASAP.
        That, and some of us don't want to be rude ourselves, so tend to keep quiet when stuff like this happens. No one complained, or slapped down the offender, so the rude one thinks their behavior is ok and does it again.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's a mall store, but not an anchor store, so there is only one register area up front. And though I felt Rude Lady was completely rude, I don't think she was trying to be. She was just utterly oblivious that anyone other than her could possibly exist.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            And the cashier should have told her she'd be with her as soon as she was finished with your transaction. But I get that sometimes people get blind-sided by rude behavior and just want to get the rude customer out of there ASAP.
            That's very true. I got caught once or twice this holiday season by people like that, and cursed myself afterwards for not recognizing what was going on and sending them to a coworker (assuming one was available).

One guy who wanted to buy a gift card had joined the mob around our (one and only) cash register and suddenly I heard him say in a miffed voice, "I just keep getting pushed aside." I dealt as quickly as possible with the women currently in front of me and then got him his gift card. He wasn't rude or obnoxious but he was obviously still pissed off. Sorry, buddy, that's what happens when there's no recognizable line in the place, just a milling bunch of people in the general area of the cash register ...

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
              No one complained, or slapped down the offender, so the rude
              one thinks their behavior is ok and does it again.
              Which happens wayyyy too often. Nice little write up about just that phenomenon by Violent Acres about just that. (Warning: Language.)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                I think what irritated me the most was how RL walked up and engaged the cashier as if I wasn't even there.
                And though I felt Rude Lady was completely rude, I don't think she was trying to be. She was just utterly oblivious that anyone other than her could possibly exist.
                I deal with these people all the freaking time. I'll be at the cutting counter measuring out a length of fabric for a customer and another customer steps up and wants to know where something is. They won't wait their turn, totally dismiss the customer I'm serving and make me lose count of how many yards I've measured out.

How could one respond to Customerus Interruptus without sounding rude or defensive?
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  How could one respond to Customerus Interruptus without sounding rude or defensive?
                  It's pretty hard to, especially since they are the ones who are going to determine that you were rude - and we all know that "No" always means "Rude."

Of course, they count on this to get themselves the attention; to really fight the trend, we have to speak up when we are interrupted customers ourselves.

Comment

RL: I don't like this style of pants. Do you have any without the strip on them? *pulls out her earlier purchase* See, I don't like this strip here, where can I find some all black yoga pants?
                    Two quick questions I have:

1. If RL didn't like the style of pants, why in the Hell did she buy them?

2. Does RL really think C is trained in everything enough to know where she can immediately find a pair of black yoga pants without a strip on it?

This incident didn't happen in South Florida, did it?

Comment

Working...
                    X