This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Station Bully

I just stopped by my neighborhood gas station/quick mart. While I was looking in the soda cooler, a SC came in to argue with the clerk about one of the gas pumps.

SC: Why isn't my gas pumping? I swiped my debit card!
    Awesome Clerk (AC): I have to authorized it inside. The credit card machine on the pump is broken.
    SC: But I didn't use a credit card! I used my debit card! Why isn't it working?!
    AC: I'm sorry, sir. The machine doesn't work. You have to prepay and I have to turn on the pump from the store.
    SC: But I used my debit card and it said "authorized!" Why isn't the gas working? You should have a sign!
    AC: I'm very sorry, sir. The pump doesn't accept credit cards outside.
    SC: But it said "authorized!" There should be a sign on the pump if you can't use a debit card!
    AC: I'm sorry, sir. Your card wasn't charged for anything. I can turn on the pump from here. How much gas would you like?
    SC: Why do you need to know how much gas I need?!
    AC: I have to enter an amount to authorize...
    SC: Well I don't know! I don't know how much I gas I want! I don't know why you need to know that!

I didn't catch the next part of the conversation because another customer came in, but AC authorized the pump and SC paid and went back outside, yelling "You should have a sign!"

When I got to the counter, AC seemed a little shaken up but greeted me with a smile and friendly attitude like always. As I was punching in my debit PIN, I said, "You know, I couldn't help but overhear that...conversation...with that guy about the gas. I'm not sure what pump he's using, but the last time I got gas here, there was a sign on the pump that said to pay inside if you're using a debit card...Besides, like it's your fault? As if you have control over whether the credit card machine is working! He's a jerk; don't let it bother you."

Hopefully I made him feel a little better. I go to this store all the time. Every person who works there is always nice to me, and no one deserves to be yelled at by some asshole like that!
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Good for you for being nice. I always try to be nice - it doesn't cost any extra, doesn't hurt and makes the world a more pleasant place to be in.

I have a lot of chronic pain thanks to health issues, and I manage to be nice more or less no matter what. I find that being nice seems to help me feel better, sort of the same principal of while on the phone if you smile and fake being cheerful you come off as cheerful and you tend to have better metrics.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
    X