Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take your time. We don't have anything better to do.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take your time. We don't have anything better to do.

Had two instances of about the same level of ignorance today.

Middle of the day, driving up a major highway, got into one of two left-hand turn lanes to go into a shopping center. The left turn light comes on, we all proceed.

Two idiots are crossing the street - they're halfway across when the left turn light comes on. Do they wait? Do they hurry across, seeing two lanes of left turning traffic?

Oh, no, constant readers. They slowly amble across the way, taking their sweet time, glaring angrily at the cars honking at them. Had a cop been there, I'm pretty confident they would have received jaywalking tickets for illegally crossing at a controlled intersection.

You know you're holding up traffic and you're still going to give us dirty looks because we're about to have 3 lanes of oncoming traffic bearing down on us because you feel like leisurely strolling across the street and blocking us from turning? I weep for humanity.

Incident the second:

It's now after dark. Driving around my apartment building to get to the parking lot. I'm going up one street and need to make a right turn.

Two sets of kids - probably 14 - 16 years old. Taking their sweet time crossing the street that I need to turn onto.

It wasn't a controlled intersection so they actually did have the right of way, but once again, taking their sweet time, despite me obviously with a turn signal on, trying to turn, plus a guy in a big ass truck in the street to my left, waiting to cross the road. We're stuck sitting there while two separate pairs of kids slowly walk across the street holding up traffic.

It's cute and all that you think it's fun to hold up traffic, but for your sakes I hope you don't do it when some drunk/high road rager is all amped up and decides he doesn't feel like waiting for you, or decides he's going to teach you a lesson with a tire iron.

With people like that, at a controlled intersection... as long as they're not right in front of me, I just go if I have the green. If they're making a legit attempt to get out of the road (a.k.a. running) then I'll wait, cuz we've all been there... but that? Nope, I got places to be, kids, and people are paying me good money to not wait on your stupid asses.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      With people like that, at a controlled intersection... as long as they're not right in front of me, I just go if I have the green. If they're making a legit attempt to get out of the road (a.k.a. running) then I'll wait, cuz we've all been there... but that? Nope, I got places to be, kids, and people are paying me good money to not wait on your stupid asses.
      Nah... these folks were keeping a leisurely pace, despite at least 5 - 6 cars waiting to turn that were being held up because of them. I swear they even slowed down a little just to fuck us over.

Comment

I always make sure to cross quickly and safely. It drives me nuts, even as a pedestrian, when I see someone RUN to make the green light when the flashing hand is on & there's just 3 seconds left to cross, then, as soon as they step off the curb, they slow down to a crawl.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

No matter who has the legal right of way, these people are still trusting the driver to see them. Personally I don't trust that much, and hurry across, while also keeping an eye out. No matter who would be at fault, I'd still be in the hospital.

Small story: The little tourist town I grew up in was notorious for pedestrians. There was only one way to get through "downtown" and one side of the street was the pretty harbor with sailboats and a nice view of a mountain. So tourists would use the street parking on the other side, meaning they needed to cross the main road to get to the pretty. This meant nearly every day while I was trying to get to work/home I would come across this situation. An entire family, complete with empty stroller walks calmly into the street. 3/4 of the time they step out blindly from in between two parked cars. Not at a crosswalk, I might add. The stroller is empty because Mommy and Daddy decided that this is a perfect time to teach baby to walk. So we all just sit there, watching baby stumble around, all the while the family is cooing encouragement and flat out ignoring the waiting cars.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            So we all just sit there, watching baby stumble around, all the while the family is cooing encouragement and flat out ignoring the waiting cars.
            At which point you lean hard on the horn, and don't let up until they're on the other side of the road. What? You've got to teach people that every action, no matter how passive-aggressive, will generate a reaction.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              At which point you lean hard on the horn, and don't let up until they're on the other side of the road. What? You've got to teach people that every action, no matter how passive-aggressive, will generate a reaction.
              I would have loved to, but in this town the tourist is King. I would likely get a ticket for noise.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X