Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lady, people in the Philippines wish they had your problem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady, people in the Philippines wish they had your problem...

So, my sister and I were in one of my favorite goodie places today, this fantastic bakery/cafe/restaurant, having coffee and one of their excellent raspberry-filled cookies, when in marches a bride and her new mother-in-law to speak with the owner about a wedding cake that apparently had disappointed them (back in SEPTEMBER).

Seems part of the cake had fallen. We couldn't help overhearing this mom-zilla haranguing the shop owner/baker. This woman had one of those voices that could project across a 50,000 seat stadium without a PA system. From what was said, it seems part of the cake slipped and fell, while the rest of it was okay ("It was SMASHED!!!") The owner had already agreed by phone to refund at least part of the cost. Guess that wasn't good enough for momma (bride never said a word). I could hear the owner saying, "I get it" and momma booming, "NO YOU DON'T!!"

Seems these people had decided their wedding cake had to have a ROLLER COASTER on it. I don't know if it was made of marzipan or something, or was some kind of plastic or metal thing, but apparently it turned out to be a little too heavy and one of the tiers fell. I just felt really bad for the owner. She's the nicest person, and her food is always incredibly delicious, and she just couldn't seem to make this woman happy.

Talk about first-world problems. OK, if I was the bride I'd be a little disappointed, but come on...it's a PASTRY. Get over it.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

It isn't the bride that is the problem (most of the time), it is usually the mother and or the mother in law.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Got to wonder if the old bat - err, Mother of the Bride pulled the same stunt with the location, caterers, florist, photographer... it seems to be a growing trend.

Comment

When you have a wedding during the summer in either an old house with no a/c or outdoors, you should not be surprised when the whipped icing begins to MELT. I'm not too sure butter cream would be any better. Hubby helped the caterer fix up a tray of ice and put the cake above it to help prevent a friend from becoming bridezilla from that.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I could hear the owner saying, "I get it" and momma booming, "NO YOU DON'T!!"

Seems these people had decided their wedding cake had to have a ROLLER COASTER on it.
          Ugh. The conversations that never end. I've had those with far too many customers, and they always reminded me of my mom's lectures when I was a kid. In both cases, no matter how much I tried to state that I understood the message that was being blasted at me, they would keep ranting on and on and on and on until they finally ran out of steam. With Mom, I would sometimes even fall asleep before she got the message that she was going on too long (though that also got me in more trouble on more than one occasion). With most customers, I'd just have to zone out until it looked like they were finished.

And a roller coaster? Really? On the one hand, I'd like to see that. Sounds like it has some impressive potential. On the other hand... why? When we got married, Mrs. Shirts asked me what I wanted the cake to look like or be made of. I said, "No coconut." That was all I really cared about. Cake turned out great with simple white frosting in fancy designs, but one side started sagging at some point. In rushed my aunt (a retired cake decorator) with some sugar water and some borrowed icing from the back of the bottom tier. With a quick patch job, the cake was re-stabilized. Granted, it didn't look perfect anymore, but nobody cared. It was CAKE, after all. We ate it and promptly forgot whether the sides were perfectly smooth or not. It was delicious.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            ... mom's lectures when I was a kid...
            @6:15 ...and tired... I don't remember anything after that...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And a roller coaster? Really?
              Yeah, it occurred to me that maybe a roller coaster is not the best symbol to put on top of a wedding cake...all those ups and downs Especially with the mom-in-law being such a complainer.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                It was CAKE, after all. We ate it and promptly forgot whether the sides were perfectly smooth or not. It was delicious.
                This. thisthisthis. If I ever find a Mrs ApolloSZ, I may just drive her mad(der) , as my approach will be "its a cake. Its going to be eaten, not preserved and put on display. As long as its tasty and edible and I get to have seconds, it could look like a fire hydrant for all I care"

I also, already fear the stereotypical mother in law, and I'm single! XD I have never, and still don't, understand how going off at someone about something, will make them more inclined to help you out. Reminds me I should post about a sighting myself....
                "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                  This. thisthisthis. If I ever find a Mrs ApolloSZ, I may just drive her mad(der) , as my approach will be "its a cake. Its going to be eaten, not preserved and put on display. As long as its tasty and edible and I get to have seconds, it could look like a fire hydrant for all I care"
                  Hahaha, there's a story that often gets re-told in our family from when my Mom still worked in an office. There'd been some renovation work or something being done, and my Mom bought the workers a cake by way of thanking them.

She had to take the bus to get to work, and the cake MELTED in transport. She was so upset and was falling over herself apologizing to the workers' supervisor for the cake's condition.

His response? "Ma'am, don't worry about it. Boys, grab a spoon!"
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    As long as its tasty and edible and I get to have seconds, it could look like a fire hydrant for all I care"
                    As you wish: A fire hydrant wedding cake.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Where's the saluting dog?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Where's the saluting dog?
                        There is always room for improvement.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

I am SO saving that link . . . have a coworker who's planning to get married next year to a firefighter. I think they'd both get a kick out of that.

Correction: just posted this to my FB. She'll find it.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Man, if I ever get married, there will be NO big white wedding, NO attendants of any kind, NO expensive venue, NO wedding gown. We will get married in a civil service, with the requisite number of witnesses, and then hit the road for our honeymoon. Once the dust settles, we'll have a party for family and close friends, which will involve cake, but not one of those huge monstrosities with which many things can go wrong. A friend of mine had a wedding cake and a cheesecake at her wedding, and it was fabulous.

Comment

Working...
                            X