This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Station Attendant Ripped Me Off

For those who don't know, you can't pump your own gas in New Jersey. Only "certified professionals" are allowed to do it.

Went to get gas yesterday before my daily travels. After waiting in line, I finally get to an open pump. Open my window, tell the guy, "Fill it up, regular, cash" (For future reference when you get gas in NJ, just state how much you want, of what, and how you are paying). Guy confirms it, then gets it going then walks away to serve someone else. Once I figure my tank should be near full, I take a look to see how much it is and I see the premium button is lit up. Naturally I'm pretty damn pissed because that's 30 cents extra per gallon and I was getting about 11 gallons. The attendant comes back and I ask him why he put premium in my car when I asked for regular. He tried to claim that he never gives out premium unless someone asks for it and I told him I specifically said regular. Just took my money and walked off to the next person.

What a dick.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Complain to his boss, pronto. Okay, wait until Friday, but complain. This person is probably ripping a lot of people off and no one has complained.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

That's going to be a tough one. It's he said/she said over what type of gas was requested, and you can't un-pump the gas. Remember where we are here: how many of us have heard customers insist they said one thing when they were witnessed to have said another, all in the hopes of getting some kind of a discount or refund?

I would suggest that if you're going to complain, do so with the attitude that you're doing only to notify the management of an issue, not that you're trying to get anything back.

Then watch out the next time you get gas to make sure that the attendant is hitting the right button before he starts.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Also, a too-rich mix for the engine might be bad for it - I'm not sure.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Also, a too-rich mix for the engine might be bad for it - I'm not sure.
          Eh, not so much. The higher the rating on the fuel, the less susceptible it is to premature detonation.

For instance, throwing 93+ in to a honda civic (well, a typical civic, not the SI model) that expects 87. What you've basically done is waste $.30 a gallon that you've put in . But the story changes dependent upon vehicle choice. My Sedona, for instance, can take anything from 87 - 93. And if you put 93 in it you get a whole whopping 4 (ohhhh baby) HP increase from the fuel maps. So it goes from 240HP to 244HP. Can you feel the excitement .

But the biggest thing to take away is that the fuel grades are really about anti-knock and how easily the fuel detonates. The Volt takes 93 for it's funky little high compression... well, engine, but really it's just a generator. Most turbo's also call for 93 as they're running a higher compression as well.
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
            (For future reference when you get gas in NJ, just state how much you want, of what, and how you are paying, then watch 'em like a hawk).
            ftfy.

I def agree, comment to management, but in an FYI sort of way. Evil is right, we know you said regular, but you could be one in a hundred that said it right but got heard wrong and they might be inclined to doubt it. Heck, you've seen enough stories from the other side of the counter here, you already know you're the exception. Or it could be as raudf suggested, a scam to squeeze some customers (maybe even with management's encouragement). Or the guy's just an indifferent dick.

Comment

I've gone there a million times so I'm inclined to think this isn't a normal practice. It's the first time it's happened to me.

As or the gas hurting my car, it won't hurt anything. Going up in grade won't hurt a car. Going down from minimum will hurt. When I got my Mustang brand new last year, they gave it to me with a full tank of premium so I assume if they do it, so can I.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

From what I've heard from the local grease monkeys, ethanol in older cars can be bad, if it's beyond a certain percentage. They thought it was pre-80's or the ones that used leaded gas. (Anyone remember leaded gas? I had my son ask why all gas that wasn't diesel was labeled as "unleaded.") I haven't felt like verifying this, so take it with a grain of salt.

The only concern I have about the attendant is the immediate attitude he took when he was told he put in the wrong grade. Honest mistakes do happen, but he made it worse by taking the attack mode. That would suggest that he makes this mistake quite often. I should have been clearer in why I would complain, sorry.

By all means, a polite FYI to the management wouldn't go amiss. He needs to learn how to handle that type of situation, rather than going on the attack.
                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                  For those who don't know, you can't pump your own gas in New Jersey. Only "certified professionals" are allowed to do it.
                  My understanding is that there are 2 exceptions (of course, it might be Oregon that has the exceptions): diesel (to allow truck stops with cardlock pumps - and on the TDI club forums, there are a number of stories about people being scolded for trying to pump their own fuel, or other customers getting pissed off because "you let him pump his own gas - why not me?"), and motorcycles (someone with a high 4-figure custom paint job on their tank had it scratched by the attendant, and gas stations wanted to avoid the liability issue).

Quoth raudf View Post
                  (Anyone remember leaded gas? I had my son ask why all gas that wasn't diesel was labeled as "unleaded.")
                  I remember when unleaded first came out. Wish I'd gotten a picture of it, but it was a pump for unleaded, but they hadn't changed the sticker on the side, so it still said "For use as a motor fuel only. Contains lead antiknock additives".

I'd bring it up with the management as a FYI. After all, in this case the wrong fuel was harmless, but if they'd put regular in a car that needs premium it would result in VERY poor performance when the ECM retarded the hell out of the timing in order to avoid knocking, and if someone came by in a TDI the station would wind up paying thousands for a tow, a fuel system flush, and proper disposal of gallons of hazardous material.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    motorcycles (someone with a high 4-figure custom paint job on their tank had it scratched by the attendant, and gas stations wanted to avoid the liability issue).
                    Don't know how that's allowed since it that'd be a company rule breaking state law.

Comment

I live in Oregon, which has the same rule. I would have raised cain about it, myself. I had that happen once, where I requested a specific amount and they hit the fill button instead. I refused to pay (didn't have the money to, actually, which is WHY I requested a specific amount), and they waved me off and told me no big deal. (Gave them the amount I had requested, didn't just stiff them.) They said they would be taking the money from his paycheck for not paying attention. Guess people handle it differently. But that is a real problem. What if, like me, you hadn't had the money for the extra amount?

Comment

Thank you for reminding me how eternally grateful I am to live in a state that trusts its citizens with the incredibly complicated task of filling a gas tank
                        And yeah, definitely let them know, in this case the only harm was $3.30 extra charge on gas... had it been the other way around (you needed premium and got regular) it could have been much worse (mom had a truck with a turbo-charger that required premium, she used regular, the engine started misfiring, and long story short, because I don't know all the details, the repairs were in the 4 digit range).
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                          Don't know how that's allowed since it that'd be a company rule breaking state law.
                          My understanding is that gas stations lobbied to get an exemption for motorcycles, with the implied threat "We will NOT risk further incidents of this sort - if we don't get the exemption, motorcycles don't get fuel".
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                            From what I've heard from the local grease monkeys, ethanol in older cars can be bad, if it's beyond a certain percentage.
                            My car's a 2002 model, and when I had work done on it this summer the mechanic told me not to use fuel with any ethanol in it.

Which means I have to use premium gas, and only from certain gas stations. Wisconsin has ethanol mandates. The farmers in this state have clout.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              Which means I have to use premium gas, and only from certain gas stations. Wisconsin has ethanol mandates.

Yeah, I've only got two to choose from, but only do it for the small motors - lawnmower, trimmer etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X