This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts. Stuck with a bad pair of Jewelry Pliers

Went to the fabric store. Needed some jewelry making stuff. Decided to get this 4-in-1 tool with wire cutter, rounded needle-nose pliers and a borer and tweezers in the handles. Get home, take out of package, put in tool box, throw packaging away. A day later I go to do my project and find the pliers are not aligned right; they are loose so the pliers and cutters are off-set and wont grab or cut. No way to tighten anything. Asked to store if I could do an exchange or store credit, since I was dumb enough to throw everything away. They would only do a straight exchange. Only, there was no more of that item. I asked if I could get another more expensive pair and pay the difference. No dice. I went home to go through the trash, but that particular bag was already collected. I wish they could have done something more for me; I do pretty much all my craft shopping there and hoped they would remember me, but the manager was pretty short with me and I'm sure she thought I was scamming or something.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

You can tighten up non-adjustable pliers by using a peening hammer on the joint.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      You can tighten up non-adjustable pliers by using a peening hammer on the joint.
      You think that might fix the alignment issue?
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I would maybe try giving corporate a call or maybe the company that makes the kit. They may give you a replacement or something better.
        "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

In Australia, if the product is defective and they can't give exact exchange, they must give equivalent exchange. Check purchaser laws where you are.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Maybe talk to a different manager too. You were more than happy to take equal exchange, and it's not your fault they don't have more in stock. Can they transfer one from another store? Ask them how they can fix this for you, it shouldn't just be up to you to offer suggestions.

Either way, good luck. I'm always paranoid about tossing packaging, which is why I sometimes find I still have packaging for something that I got rid of long ago.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              You think that might fix the alignment issue?
              If you can't return it, might as well experiment... Not like it's good for anything as-is...

Comment

And if the ball peen doesn't fix it...

Use a bigger hammer!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth CaptainJaneway View Post
                  I would maybe try giving corporate a call or maybe the company that makes the kit. They may give you a replacement or something better.
                  You might also check online. Many tool companies have websites...and depending on their replacement policy, might ship you a new one.

Case in point, I broke a pair of rail-cutting pliers, when I was building my model railroad some years ago. All I was doing was cutting a piece of nickel-silver HO gauge rail...when one of the jaws broke To get a replacement, all I had to do was send in the damaged pliers, and I had a new pair in less than a week.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X