This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray for colossal wastes of time

Backstory time- When we first bought this house 10 years ago, the guy who lives down the road from us told us that, if we ever decide to sell, to talk to him first. End of backstory.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we're in the process of moving back to the other side of the mountains. We called up the guy in the previously mentioned backstory, told him about it, and he got all excited. So we scheduled a time for him to come over and look at the house, which was today. And now we're all kinda wishing we hadn't talked to him.

From the get-go, dude wasn't even interested in the house itself; he just wanted to discuss the property around it. Specifically, he wants to pay us to sign an easement so he'll have full access to the dirt road that goes past our house. Now, had he said that outright, it would've been a no-brainer and we wouldn't have dealt with him at all. Instead, he made it seem like he was very enthusiastic about seeing the house itself...only to spend more time yammering about how he talked to lawyers and stuff about how much it would cost for him to have the rights to use that road. We gave him a tour of our freshly-cleaned-from-ceiling-to-floor house, but he barely paid attention and it was immediately back to 'So, about that easement...'

It's annoying because we simply do not have time for this crap. @_@ We're trying to sell the house, preferably before the end of January. That is all.
    Last edited by firecat88; 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Well it's simple, the cost for the easement is the same as the house and property. Lucky him, you'll toss in the house for free.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      Well it's simple, the cost for the easement is the same as the house and property. Lucky him, you'll toss in the house for free.
      My mom said exactly the same thing.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Actually, I would've told him, "we don't have the time to deal with an easement; if you want, you can buy the house now, set up the easement you want, then resell it afterwards. Hey, it might cost you less than (whatever he was wanting to pay you for the easement)."

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
          'So, about that easement...'
          See, I would have said "so, about our house..." every time he said something about the easement to the point where he would have given up and left. Sounds like he'll do the same to the people that do buy your house. He'll be back.
          Last edited by EricKei; 12-02-2013, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            Actually, I would've told him, "we don't have the time to deal with an easement; if you want, you can buy the house now, set up the easement you want, then resell it afterwards. Hey, it might cost you less than (whatever he was wanting to pay you for the easement)."
            My dad brought that up too after the guy had left.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
            See, I would have said "so, about our house..." every time he said something about the easement to the point where he would have given up and left. Sounds like he'll do the same to the people that do buy your house. He'll be back.
            Sad but true. Whoever ends up buying the house, we'll probably warn them about this.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
              Sad but true. Whoever ends up buying the house, we'll probably warn them about this.
              I'd recommend following your agent's and lawyer's advise about when it would be appropriate to do so. You don't want anything to seem negative during the selling process.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

At the moment, we don't have an agent. I dunno if we will at any point either. We're planning on doing this as a 'for sale by owner' thing to avoid having to work with an agent.

Comment

Working...
                X