This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The year in review.

Let's see....we had many celebrity deaths, multiple sex abuse scandals at major universities, politicians being crooked (again), the Casey Anthony fiasco, corporate greed getting even more blatant, more random and senseless shootings, a serial killer at work on Long Island (last I heard, they still hadn't caught him), and for me, a virtually nonexistent love life coupled with an equally nonexistent sex life.

Also in 2011 my stepsister woke up from her coma against everything the doctors predicted, and my niece gave birth to my first grand nephew.

To me, that makes 2011 a good year!

It really is all how you look at it. After all, my life--and your life--could be far worse. Witness all the crap happening to people around the world, or right in your own country, state, county, city, or neighborhood. If you have enough free time to be able to sit there at your computer and leisurely read this, then things can't be total crap, right?

So, let's put the negatives aside, if just for this little while, and discuss the positives. What were some of the high points in your 2011? Things that make the negatives seem, if not less negative, at least more easily tolerated.

Simple rules here: no snarkiness, no sarcasm, no whining, no bitching. No "well, I have nothing good to say, my life sucks." None of that. This thread is about celebrating the positive, and if you really can't find anything from the last year that fits that bill, well, remember what Moms everywhere always said: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." This is, in short, a Negativity-Free Zone.

At least for this thread.

So...let's hear it. Something good to put the last year in perspective and give you, and us, hope for the impending New Year.
    Last edited by Jester; 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I guess the big thing for 2011 was getting our puppy. She's an onery little critter, but I wouldn't trade her for the world. Another good thing that happened was getting a new job. Yes, the pay is less, but I feel like I'm getting useful experience that will help me get something better later on. It's also been a much needed confidence booster.

Some other good news, is that my stepsister just went from basically being told to start planning her funeral to being given a treatment plan and hope for a long life in her fight against cancer.

So, all in all, while 2011 hasn't been the best year ever, it hasn't been the worst either.

Here's hoping for an even better 2012.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I think probably the biggest 'something good' to happen this year was being able to go to my sister's wedding. The preparation and everything leading up to it was stressful as hell, especially with everything else I had going on, but it was all totally worth it in the end. I got to see a lot of family I hadn't seen in years (and a few cousins I'd never met before), gained new family members, and made several new friends. That week in North Carolina was probably the best week of the entire year.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Being able to spend another year with my very elderly cat. She continues to amaze me.

Marking one year of employment at the call center, and 7 years with the website job at home, both in November.

Trip to the San Francisco area in August...I'm enthralled by the city and hope to go back very soon.

Happy both my parents are still with us and hanging in there. Spending time with them when I can has been nice.
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
          Trip to the San Francisco area in August...I'm enthralled by the city and hope to go back very soon.
          Great place. Been there 3 times, most recently in 2008. When you go back, some suggestions: If you're a garlic fan, make a point of eating at The Stinking Rose. It's a garlic restaurant. 'Nuff said. Also, if you like Chinese food, definitely have some chow in their Chinatown. If you need a couple suggestions, let me know. But definitely avoid the famous touristy trap place that everyone else goes to. You can get better food cheaper right in the area. Also, if you're a beer fan, plenty of good barhopping to be had there. Finally, if you're a baseball fan, as much as I hate the Giants, I have to admit that they have a damn nice ballpark, and it is worth checking out.

Okay, enough travel advice.....back to the good news!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

The brightest moments in 2011 all involve Little Bits

1) She performed with the ACDA All State Chamber Choir in February
            2) She went to Toronto Canada to compete in the International Choir competition and they brought home Gold all around with Women's Ensemble being named Grand Champion
            3) She made Chamber Choir at her high school - her school's elite choir
            4) She was accepted in her number one choice college to major in Music Education
            5) Her Chamber Choir group was selected to sing for the inauguration of our states new Governor
            6) She was selected for next February's All State Chamber group
            7) Her boyfriend proposed to her two weeks ago. They are going to colleges that are a 20 minute drive apart and they are planning on getting married once she graduates

Comment

The best things for me were buying a house and getting to spend time with loved ones another year.

Comment

2011 was NOT a good year for me at all, but in an effort to focus on the positive, I would have to say that there was one high point to the year.

I reconnected with my friends whom I have known since high school (which is since 1974) but had lost touch a bit due to distance, by going on a 10 day trip to New Orleans and Mardi Gras with them. It was the trip of a lifetime for me.
                There were a lot of laughs, and my self esteem was boosted immensely when they let me know that having me go with them made it one of the best trips to MG that they had ever made.
                As a result of reconnecting with them, they have been there for me at a lot of the really low points since that time.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

We refinanced our house to a crazy-low interest rate, knocking 10 years off of the mortgage in the process.

My car got totalled, but we got an awesome pick-up truck as a result, so while it was traumatic at the time, the outcome was ultimately a happy one. Plus, I wasn't really hurt in the accident.

Started back to school after 10 years of being out of college and got all A's first semester back.

My cousin, niece and sister-in-law all got engaged.

And the BIG one is my mother-in-law's brain tumor was successfully removed and determined to be noncancerous. She's 100% recovered and back to normal with now lasting ill effects. She just had her final follow-up a few days ago and she's completely in the clear.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Of all the things I can think of, there are 3 that were huge for me.

1. I got the chance to work at our local Renaissance Faire, something that I have wanted to do for years. It was a wonderful experience for me. i am hearing impaired and it didn't matter to those I worked with. They took it in stride and made me feel a part of the group.

2, I got new wireless digital hearing aids that are amazing things.

3. I was diagnosed with ADD. I am now on medication for it and the difference is wonderful. I am finally able to start and finish a project and not get distracted as easily.

Comment

1. Finally got my first kiss and had my first date...at age 22.
                      2. Dad got a new job, which means less financial stress and some pretty cool perks (Tigers baseball game in a suite with all you can eat buffet, a Holiday Nights dinner at my old workplace in Greenfield Village, a really nice Christmas bonus that got us a new tv, Xbox 360, and BluRay player).
                      3. Found out that I'm pretty awesome at blood drawing. Still working on employment with that and my biology degree.
                      4. Found out that the guy I've liked for a while actually has/had feelings for me at some point. He didn't say anything about it, unfortunately, and he's dating someone else right now. However, I plan on doing something about it once they're finished dating (assuming they ever stop...I really don't expect it to last too long, but I guess you never know).

So, hopefully 2012 brings me a new job, moving out, perhaps a boyfriend, and less drama with a particular friend of mine.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                        1. I got the chance to work at our local Renaissance Faire, something that I have wanted to do for years. It was a wonderful experience for me. i am hearing impaired and it didn't matter to those I worked with. They took it in stride and made me feel a part of the group.
                        Huzzah for us, the new Rennie workers!
                        I worked my first ren faire too, and met so many amazing people who love and care for me no matter what. They love me for being me and I never thought I would find people like that.
                        I met a cousin I don't ever remember meeting, mostly because I was a wee wittle Squeaks when we met. Now I'm great friends with him and his awesome wife, her lovely daughter, and her adorable son.
                        2011 was great for me, I got rid of an awful person in my life in 2010 and met amazing people, rennies and my new found cousins who helped me become a more confident, happy person.

I start 2012 with meeting an uncle I have heard my entire life about, that I recently found and just started speaking to a few days ago. Soon he and my father will finally reunite like they both wanted.
                        In a few weeks I take a written exam for a job I've wanted forever, hopefully I pass that and continue on to the spoken test and hopefully finish with the interview and my dream job.

Even if in 2012 isn't as good, I know that I am a stronger and better person and my life can only improve because of it.
                        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I can't really say 2011 was a bad year.

1. We finally got Mom into a safe environment. I've been worrying myself to death about her for two years. Now I can sleep at night. Check off in the plus column, for me.

2. I went back to doing Tae Kwon Do, lost 30 pounds and 9 inches off my waist.

3. I got my blood pressure back under control.

4. I quit a job that's been giving me overwhelming stress, and feel really good about that fact.

5. I won first place for board breaking at the Yong In TKD Tournament back in July.

6. I got some major projects done on the house, including repainting. The house looks wonderful

7. Taz came into my life. She's really gotten big (not fat, just big). She's a grown up kitty now. Still rambunctious, but a little less destructive than she was when I got her as a kitten.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My year was average I guess but in the spirit of the thread:

We got our kitty who is the sweetest little guy ever!
                            We found out one of my best friends is getting married - in San Diego which means in 2012 I will finally fulfill an ambition and see California.
                            I shall have the once in a lifetime chance to see the Olympic flame be carried past our front door.
                            Already have tickets for my second ever Bruce Springsteen concert.
                            "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

1. My hubby getting a good job he loves

2. Getting fired was the biggest release Ive had

3. Papaw being free from pain

4. Being diagnosed with Bi-polar 2 and anxiety to have a label I can point to when hubby goes WTF are you doing?

5. Finding out Christmas day my grandma red will be with her husband soon.

6. Meeting my neice Evie

I know a lot of these sound like negatives but getting fired meant I could go back to school full time while hubby works and I can destress my life more. My grandmother has been alone and in failing health for years and misses her husband a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X