This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! A wine thread!

I gotta agree with KitKat! Moscato D'Asti tend to be the best of the bunch. Some of my favs are Il Conte and Cupcake. Also if you love moscato and want to try something different, look for Stella Rosa Rosso. It's a red wine but it's nearly identical to a moscato in sweetness but it has more of a berry taste to it. Our store sells it by the ton.
    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I do like the fruitiness of Moscato D'Asti, KiaKat is always on point with recommending wines. I'm going to have to look into the Stella Rosa Rosso. I don't particularly care for red wines, because of the tannins, but if it's fruity like moscato, I'm willing to try it. How dry is it??

We had some prosecco with a pork dish I made early last week. It was yummy and went quite well.

Of course, now we need to get a reisling for wolfie, since he likes them.

Comment

I think (need to do the research) that Stella Rosa is a Lambrusco. I think I've recommended them to you before, Lupo, but you had trouble finding them.

Lambrusco, like Gamay and Zweigelt, is fruity and low in tannins - that makes for a young, quaffable wine with light/light-medium body and good acid.

Comment

I LOVE Riesling! however I recently tried Moscato by Yellow Tail(?) (may have been barefoot...hrm) and I enjoyed it quite a bit... light, fruity, not too sweet, slightly fizzy... *contented sigh*

I know for NYE a lot of stores were pushing the "Sparkling Moscato" as an alternative to Champagne, so i think it may have been a marketing ploy (and apparently it worked as you enjoyed it!)

my favorite Reisling is by Schmitt Sohne, comes in a blue bottle and they have 4 varieties (each with distinct "flavors") they also produce Relax Riesling (again in a blue bottle)
          both can be found for usually less than 10$ a bottle
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Treasure, that's the same company that produces the Funf reisling that wolfie is so fond of.

And yis, KiaKat, you have mentioned Lambrusco before. Methinks I'm going to have to go to the BIG booze store in town and do some hunting. No doubt you'll end up getting a phone call. Again.

Comment

O noes. A phone call from Lupo. How terrible.

/sarcasm

srsly, though... My favourite bubbly is from Francois Chidaine. He's a producer in the Montlouis appellation in the Touraine region of the Loire Valley in France. The traditional bubbly is just so delicious - harvested from somewhat young vines of extra ripe Chenin Blanc grapes, fermented using wild yeasts and using the natural sugars to trigger a second fermentation in the bottle, it's a creamy almost-entirely-dry, slightly nutty and very wild-tasting bubbly. Love love love love love.

(moar info here)

Comment

Excellent thread! And for those of you offering reviews on various moscatos, please feel free to do so in the CS Booze Club thread right here in Off Topic. And yes, that is a very shameless plug, thank you very much. But it is also a way for your opinions on said moscato to reach even more people that might not read this thread. Just saying.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                I'd steer clear of the Barefoot brand just because of the name.

I'd probably think it had toenails and other disgusting foot debris in it.
                As opposed to all the other wines that have their grapes foot-stomped.

Seriously, Barefoot is a very decent inexpensive wine, far better than a lot of other "house" wines one might find at restaurants and bars. Just saying.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I gotta say--the Italians do wine well!
                Yes, they do. (Alert: another shameless plug coming...) I even just reviewed an Italian red in the CS Booze Club thread. Yep, that's right....Mr. Beer/Mr. Rum reviewed a WINE.

Shocking, I know.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Re: Stella Rossa As far as I've read it's a Blend of grapes (mostly Brachetto) but it is actually sweeter than most lambruscos that I've had. The best way for me to describe it is like Moscato but with a sweet berry/grape flavor rather than the apple cidery flavor.

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                  Treasure, that's the same company that produces the Funf reisling that wolfie is so fond of.
                  Did you see that there is a Funf Moscato? Delish!

btw...has anyone tried an Orange wine yet? I've been hearing about this alot lately but haven't come across one yet.
                  Last edited by Spork4pedro; 01-09-2012, 01:01 AM. Reason: forgot something
                  Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post

btw...has anyone tried an Orange wine yet? I've been hearing about this alot lately but haven't come across one yet.
                    Only one I'm aware of is pruno, and....well, you don't wanna go there.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Oh, Brachetto. Of course. I've had a couple of those. They're rather grapey. I'm not a huge fan, though Lambrusco I like. *shrugs* Slight wine snobbery seems to be a hazard of working in the business for so long.

Comment

Mionetto moscato is my personal favorite. I tried Roscato Russo Dalce 2010 at Olive Garden, which is a red and I don't usually like red, but the Roscato has been added to my favored wine list.

I tried Scotch, which my grandma use to drink to beat her insomnia but I couldn't handle it. I also hate beer, so I think I will stick to wine.
                        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Went to the in-laws' house this weekend. The younger BiL and his wife brought a moscato by Yellow Tail. It was really good. (And I don't drink a lot of wines). I'm thinking of picking up a few bottles just for me.
                          And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Working...
                          X