This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today inspired me to make my first post

So I work at the Yellow Tag. Today I had a fun little interaction with a customer I wanted to share. To start she was already mad because she went and waited in the wrong line to get rung out and that was somehow our fault but I digress.

Me: Hi how are you today?
    SC: Well I waited in the wrong line for fifteen minutes so great customer experience so far.
    Me: Sorry to hear that. Will this be all for today?
    SC: Yep.
    Me: Okay your total is xx.xx could I see your card and ID please?
    SC: You know its illegal to ask for ID right? (she gave it to me as she was saying this)
    Me: I'm sorry did you say legal or illegal.
    SC: Illegal you could steal my identity with this information.
    Me: No I don't think its illegal I'm technically not supposed to ask for ID if your card is signed but I always do as a precaution to make sure its not a stolen card.
    SC: Well you're still not allowed I could report you to visa (she was using a mastercard) and they could fine you and revoke letting people use their card here.
    Me: Okay would you rather someone use your card then?
    SC: ....I could still report you.
    Me: Me or the store?
    SC: The store and I'm in a bad enough mood to do it.
    Me: Okay well then you have a great day.

You can't win with some people. Im sure she would be the first person to complain though if her card got stolen and someone used it and no one checked ID

Welcome to the world of SC's who believe all retail workers are issued ESP with their badges.

SC's don't want the inconvenience of being asked for ID with credit cards when it's them, but if someone else had their card you should be be asking for ID. Hence the need for ESP. Also helpful in knowing which customers want small talk and smiles, and which want serious business attitudes. And numerous other uses.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Timberford View Post
      SC: ... you could steal my identity with this information.
      "Well, perhaps, but... why would I or anyone else really WANT to be you?"

And glad you posted, Timberford!
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Welcome!

I'm lucky enough to work at elections in Arizona. People are constantly yelling at the poll workers over this. Idiots and jerks, all of them. Swearing at old folks who are only following the rules. The reason I say that I'm lucky is because when I see someone abusing one of my precious volunteers, I'm allowed to show them a copy of the court ruling and then throw them out if they keep disrupting things.

You have my sympathy. I only have to do this 6 or 8 times a year. You probably get it every day.

Comment

Quoth Timberford View Post
          SC: You know its illegal to ask for ID right? (she gave it to me as she was saying this)
          Me: I'm sorry did you say legal or illegal.
          Ha, good response!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I don't believe it's illegal, just different stores have different polices; some train to ask, some don't. It would be a good precaution of everyone would just do it!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Had an older guy buying alcohol show me his ID and then tell me I did a good thing by not scanning his ID (our state has a barcode on the back) because it's illegal. I just kinda smiled and nodded until the transaction was over. Sorry, I'm only able to provide small talk, legal debates are beyond my scope.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Sadly it is against the credit card companies rules. If you go to the Mastercard page, their is a place where you can file complaints, and one of the reasons is "store asked for ID" If a person files a complaint using that reason, the store can be fined and even loose the ability to be able to accept those kinds of cards. Apparently if a card is stolen the credit card company will just reimburse the customer and they get the money from the retailers that the card was used at.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that bit of info. At every job I have worked for if you did not have a valid ID we would not take your card, period! We could be written up if we didn't ask for ID. After reading about the cards I now realize we asked for ID not to really protect the customer but to protect the company from having to pay for the credit theft.

Since I don't use credit cards and only my debt, I always show my ID if it is not being used on a pin pad machine. I really can't afford for someone to take my card and run up charges on it even if I will get all of my money back. These things take weeks to get resolved and bill collectors don't care if your card got stolen, they want their money when it is due!
                "The old saying "The customer is always right" is Bull S*it, but you should always treat the customer with respect."~ Professor of Management at UTA

Comment

I just wonder how some people think they can be an armchair lawyer.
                  Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar error. :<
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

While I believe some people here have pointed out the the cardmember agreements with certain card companies frowns on requiring ID to take the card, I'm not aware of any actual government laws against it. Thus, while it may be breaking the store's contract with the card company, it is not actually breaking a law.

As always, though, check local listings before taking legal advice on the web.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Why do people get so ornery about being asked for their ID? Are they wanted by the FBI? I think it's great being asked. But, like someone else noted, these people pitch a fit about being asked for ID, yet are the same ones that gripe when no ID was asked of whomever stole their card.

Comment

I'm just going to nip this in the bud right now. Credit card/ID threads never end well. Let's focus on the fact that the customer was taking up the issue with someone who was not in a position to make policy changes.
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

First, to !
                          There's aplenty if you're of age, and bacon by the bushelful, and, of course to help you forget lovely people like this coming through your line ^_^

Quoth NoMoreRetail View Post
                          the credit card company will just reimburse the customer and they get the money from the retailers that the card was used at.
                          I always wondered why credit card companies seemed to be so generous when it came to refunding fraudulent transactions >_>
                          Last edited by EricKei; 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            SC's don't want the inconvenience of being asked for ID with credit cards when it's them, but if someone else had their card you should be be asking for ID. Hence the need for ESP. Also helpful in knowing which customers want small talk and smiles, and which want serious business attitudes. And numerous other uses.
                            Yeah, we're supposed to have these godlike powers, yet still work for minimum wage and allow the SCs to treat us like scum on their shoes.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Great posts guys thanks for the welcome I didn't know ID threads don't end well and I don't want my first ever thread locked lol! The reason I always ask is because when I first started there awhile ago I wasnt resolute told what the proper procedure was and ended up taking two stolen cards with 5k worth of merchandise charged to them!! The guy was caught but from that point forward I always ask whether you like it or not I'm not losing my job and I cover my own ass if it happens again as long as the names matched and the ID looked legit I'm in the clear. I'm just honestly surprised that she had an attitude with me considering up until her all my customers are happy when I ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X