This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How 'bout you invest in a bin ....

We are having a major sale on [Well-Known Brand] soup these days. I think it's 49 cents a can. So suddenly people in my little mid-sized city have turned into preppers ...

I had two or three customers today who each bought no less than 48 cans of soup. Which is fine, although our stupid and antiquated system won't let me type in "48@" and then scan a can ... not without a supervisor's OK. And most of the supervisors were frantically trying to control the line. No, I have to pick up one can of soup and scan-gun it 24 times ... (Most people were buying 24 cans each of two different kinds of soup ... 24 cans of tomato and 24 of chicken noodle, for example). None of that, of course, is the fault of the customer.

However.

When they buy that much, they bring the cans in the cardboard "case" that the soup arrived in. Makes it easy: just pick up the "case" and put it in your buggy. Now, the "case" has only the bottom (of course) and very low sides to it. It is not by any means a box.

Then there was this guy:

"Can you wrap this for me?"

Me: "Um ... what?"

Slightly Sucky Customer: "Can you wrap this for me?" He waved at the two cases of soup on his buggy.

Me: *thinks: "What part of our name reads [Major Home Improvement/Hardware Store that has shrink-wrap equipment for products]??"

Me: *says* "No sir, I don't think we can."

SSC: "Well, but the cases come shrink-wrapped, don't they? Can I get two of those?"

So I call over a supervisor to ask. No, we can't wrap it in any way, shape or form. Yes, they probably do come shrink-wrapped but the shrink-wrap is removed as soon as the cases arrive.

Now, this last part might not have been true; it might have been that the supervisor just wanted to get rid of the SSC. In which case I am solidly behind her.

SSC looked sour and his responses after that were curt, but he paid and left. With his unwrapped cases.

Seriously, if you're going to buy in quantities like that, why don't you invest $7 in one of those big plastic bins? They hold a lot of stuff and they are easy to maneuver around and you don't have to worry about stuff falling out of them (well, not unless you've REALLY overloaded them).
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Sorry

I buy the soup packs that way (bottom of the box only), not once did I even think that the store should wrap them for me.

Comment

Having stocked shelves in the past I can confirm that the wrap comes off as soon as we get ready to put the 'box' on the shelf. That's because we're not a case-lot store and most people buy a can or two, and if they want a full case they'd go to Costco.

Comment

If I was going to the store to buy 50 cans of anything, one of the household milk crates would be going with me.

When the boss was throwing away one of those 6 foot wire shelving units, I came to work with a collapsible dolly and a roll of stretch wrap to hold the dis-assembled parts together.

Comment

No sir, we do not have factory sealing products at the retail cashier level. What a moron. Hey, maybe somewhere "in the back" there is a roll of shrink wrap but it is certainly not for this purpose. Come prepared moron, we don't change diapers at the cash register either.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

"We sell clingwrap on Aisle ..."
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

You don't change diapers on the register, either! That's discrimination against babies! Manager! Now! What did you mean by 'unhygenic'? How dare you! I'm the customer, so I am always right! Get me your manager . . .
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                You don't change diapers on the register, either! That's discrimination against babies! Manager! Now! What did you mean by 'unhygenic'? How dare you! I'm the customer, so I am always right! Get me your manager . . .
                I think a lot of people would like to change their baby at a register, until they realize they would get the same baby back.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

No of course I don't have a receipt for it...
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Kristev -- Just as bad as people who do so on restaurant tables, with nary a diaper pad or similar protection to be seen.

IA - *snort*
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've bought 'trays' of things like that before. Often I'll build my own tray; getting 12 concentrated juice but having 4 pink lemonade, 4 grape punch and 4 fruit punch. But when I do that, I always make sure to have one of each type loose so the cashier can scan it, as well as telling how many of each I have. And then I leave it up to myself to figure out how best to carry the tray out from there.

Sometimes I get apple juice for a couple of weeks and I'm lucky and find them still in the tray with the plastic wrap. (usually when Wally has them on a display in the centre aisles). When I snag those, I make sure to grab a 13th bottle to help with the scanning (and take the odd bottle with me).

But never would I expect the cashier to repack things.

Comment

Working...
                      X