Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borked Laptop. Any chance of salvaging?

Okay, so my roomie has a Toshiba laptop (model M105-S3041 if that makes a difference) that had a drive failure a while ago, so got set to the wayside. Now that he's finally gotten a spare drive, he's going to power it up and it's not working.

The battery is totally flat, refuses to take a charge, and whenever it's plugged into the wall the blue power light flashes rapidly. We can't get it to even begin to POST, so I'm pretty sure it's a power-supply or MoBo issue, but I'm hoping there might be some other solution available before resorting to taking it out to a professional to repair.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

will it power up with the battery pulled? if it has an internal short in the battery it could be pulling more power and wouldnt charge. toshiba has a pretty good faq on the error lights for its equipment, might check there for the flashing light.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
      will it power up with the battery pulled? if it has an internal short in the battery it could be pulling more power and wouldnt charge. toshiba has a pretty good faq on the error lights for its equipment, might check there for the flashing light.
      Nope. No power with the battery out either. Not a single response other than a rapid flickering of the AC-Power light when the adapter is plugged into the wall. They're saying that it's a hardware issue not related to the battery in the FAQ. My bet is bad power supply.

So, how bad will that be to get fixed on a Toshiba Satellite M105?
      Last edited by JustADude; 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM.
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

as long as its still under warranty, 1 year was the standard, replacement shouldnt be too hard (take that with a grain of salt please) otherwise i would get a new one here they have it for around $80 which is better than the replacements ive seen at BB RS and CC. which may be the easiest way of fixing it. the replacement batteries are on that site too for pretty cheap.

Comment

as long as its still under warranty, 1 year was the standard, replacement shouldnt be too hard (take that with a grain of salt please) otherwise i would get a new one here they have it for around $80 which is better than the replacements ive seen at BB RS and CC. which may be the easiest way of fixing it. the replacement batteries are on that site too for pretty cheap.
          Sorry, I was unclear again. When I said 'power supply', I actually meant the part inside the laptop's case that sends power to the battery and the rest of the internals from the Adapter. Not sure what the technical term for that would be.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            Sorry, I was unclear again. When I said 'power supply', I actually meant the part inside the laptop's case that sends power to the battery and the rest of the internals from the Adapter. Not sure what the technical term for that would be.
            oh. in that case unless its under warranty it could get expensive. there are 3 repair centers in mo, here are the options, they would be able to give a better price and keep the warranty intact

Comment

oh. in that case unless its under warranty it could get expensive. there are 3 repair centers in mo, here are the options, they would be able to give a better price and keep the warranty intact
              Thanks for the info. I'll tell my roomie the options, and hopefully he won't freak at the price.

Comment

Working...
              X