This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm, did I miss a release here?

Okay, back story time. The following is a listing for major Windows releases over the past 5 years.

2002: Windows XP
    2004: Windows XP SP2
    2007: Windows Vista

Now the difference between SP2 and the base release is a series of bug fixes and some security updates. That said, onto the story.

Had this teenager come up, ask me if Vista will work, etc, I give him the standard replies, told him opened software is not returnable, yadda yadda yadda. He then asks me if we have XP 2005 version. I told him we only have the upgrade releases.

A few minutes later he asks me if we can order a copy of XP 2005 for him.

Huh? XP 2005? there wasn't a 2005 version.

I tell him we can't order in store, and we don't know if Microsoft will be sending us any more XP copies.

Him: But I want XP 2005, not XP 2002.
    Me: There was no specific retail release in 2005. It went from XP in 2002 to Vista in 2007.
    Him: Yes. There. Was. Excuse me? I've worked here since shortly after it came out, there was no specific 2005 release. There was a 2002 version when it came out and a 2005 version installed onto our new computer and everything was working. It crashed and we bought a 2002 copy and now our sound card and internet aren't working.
    Me: <finally figuring out this moron's problem> The copy that came with your computer was configured with your specific hardware, but the one you bought doesn't have the drivers for it. Your best bet is to have our techs find out the drivers you need and install them for you.

So, for the track record, what he had before was an OEM copy for his specific computer model. It crashed, and he bought a retail copy which didn't have the drivers installed. He then thought that that was a version that was sitting there for 3 years. For the record, when SP2 was shipped, all retail companies were told to destroy them or send them back to Microsoft for destruction. The copy he bought was probably newer than the one he originally had.

The sad part, he's labelled as the family tech.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

I do believe that actually there was XP Media Center Edition, released in 2005. That may be more along the lines of the service packs, but I've gotten enough calls with it, that it seems legit.

Comment

Yeah, it could have been XP Media Center Edition 2005 that came with his system. I'm currently using it for an HTPC.

He won't miss much of anything if he isn't using his computer as a DVR.

EDIT: That being said, Media Center Editions were never released as retail - Microsoft has very stringent hardware requirements for it, so they want it sold as a package with a computer.
      Last edited by RichS; 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Yea they got to it before me, Windows XP Media Center 2005~

Comment

Ahh, but there are substantial differences between the two. This reject from the funny farm said the only difference was that the sound card and internet weren't working.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Ahh, but there are substantial differences between the two. This reject from the funny farm said the only difference was that the sound card and internet weren't working.
            He probably never used the Media Center functions - if you don't delve into the Media Center side, it's just like running XP Pro with a few functions removed.

When I start up my HTPC, I boot into a standard Windows XP desktop. It all changes when I press the green button on my remote, though.

Like you said, he probably had a Media Center 2005 OEM copy from the manufacturer of his system that he lost, and installed a copy of XP Home/Pro without the drivers that he needed for his particular PC.

Comment

Working...
            X