Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So.. I want my life back (stuff about dealing with intermittent but annoying illness)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.. I want my life back (stuff about dealing with intermittent but annoying illness)

I've been trying to post this for days now because I'm at my wits end.

Basically I have an illness which means I do come down with stuff more often and when I'm ill I struggle to travel, I struggle to eat and I struggle to get out of the house at all. The problem is that it isn't considered a serious enough illness to be protected or get me help. I can barely get the docs to do anything when I go in as the reasons I'm ill are due to the things I catch instead of the underlying condition. Too easy to shrug off and move on to the next malingerer patient.

Because my crowd-phobia has also kicked in this time its been hell getting over to the doctors which is only literally across the road. If I go the long (and safe) way - which I always do - its less than 5 minutes. Except its taking me 10 plus at the moment.

So... I'm about to go back to work (I hope) and I'm expecting an ass kicking. Last time I was out I got "we can't afford you to be ill... oh, here's more work we need you to do because X can't solve this". I'm seriously wondering if I'm going to have a job come new year.

Honestly - I have no idea how to get around the fact that this makes me unreliable as an employee. I don't have 'self employment' skills and I don't do the jobs that would be tantamount for work at home roles either.

And I'm missing out on loads of social stuff because I'm not well enough or crowd phobia stops me going. I'm also months behind on personal commitments and will spend all of my spare time once I'm better enough again trying to catch up on a major project.

So yeah.. that's my rant.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

I can so relate! "you have great skills, you're hired" {insert illness flare up} "We have to let you go" {insert another flare} ....
    Yeah. Joy! Please keep turning over stones to find the help. And mega hugs.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thanks Der Cute.

I'm not sure which stones to turn over anymore. Feels like I've tried them all. I even asked for VPN/remote login potential so that when I'm ill I can limp along by working at home doing what I can from here and got nowhere.

I do make up for it when I am at work by really working my ass off but its hard to find someone whose prepared to overlook the attendance issue just because of that.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
      X