This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were in charge of your own business

Lately, I've been thinking about what I would do if I owned my own business. In my case, it would be a restaurant.

Some of the things I would do is pay them all a decent wage and yes this includes the servers. (They would still be allowed to accept tips, but at least they wouldn't have to stress about getting them.) Meals would be free during a shift. I would just have them ring them through for cost tracking purposes. If they came in during off duty hours, I would give them a generous discount. I would provide them with health insurance so they can get minor issues taken care of right away instead of waiting until they become more serious. I would be closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. If the place ended up being a major destination on say Mother's Day, I would provide sandwiches and other quick food in the break room that day so the staff could grab a quick bite and then the next day, I would thank everyone by having a serious spread in the break room. (probably something my restaurant didn't serve just as a special treat.)

If I showed an especially profitable month, then everyone from the dishwashers on up would receive a surprise bonus in their next paycheck.

I guess the biggest thing I want to do is make sure that everyone feels valued and that the success of the company will benefit them in ways other than letting them keep their job.

So what would you all do if you were in charge?
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Ok this is a more complicated matter then you think. Treating your employees well, and paying them well is only part of the picture here...but here is how I would at least attempt to run things...read it all before you get out the torches and pitchforks .

Everybody in the company, including me, would be paid minimum wage. Each person, as soon as they are hired has 1 'stake' in the company. Each year, they get an extra 'stake', and for each promotion they get an extra one. At the end of a month, the profits are counted up. 1/4 is reinvested back into the company automatically, 1/4 goes to me..the other 1/2 is then divided by the total number of 'stakes' between all the other employees and then distributed. So basically the employees share 1/2 of all profits between themselves. Part time must work at least 20 hours and get 1/2 normal shares...even if promoted (so if they are there 3 years and get 1 promotion they would have 2 'stakes' in the company).

That means 1) They are motivated to make me money. Cause when I make money, they make money. 2) They are motivated to stay working for me. The longer they work for me, the more of the split they get. 3) Managers and such will still get more then the workers, BUT not multimillions when the workers get squat. 4) They will work a bit harder, because if I have to hire more..they lose just a little bit of their bonus.

Now, profits will be calculated after all benefits (and yes I would give benefits) and costs are considered.

I would give 1 month worth of vacations in a year..and they would be Mandatory. You don't have to leave..but you can't stay here (IE can't work in my business for that month..if you have not taken the vacation by the last month of YOUR year (calculated by when you start) then I will put you on vacation for that last month, and you will not be able to be scheduled during it.) The reason is, helps prevent burnout. However, you can take the days off as you wish as long as each day is known about 2 weeks in advance..and seniority would also determine who gets the vacation if too many want that day off.

Holidays work would be rotated, and if you are one of the people working then you can make deals with other workers to get your shift covered BUT you are responsible if the person you make the deal with does not show up. (IE you would have to come in, BUT that person would also get a talking to by me). Managers and such would be expected to work any holidays we work, but to be honest most holidays we would be closed anyhow.

Employees would not be allowed to yell or scream at a customer, that would be my job. If an employee has a problem with a customer, they come get me ..and I will yell at the customer. However, if I am not there..they are free to boot a customer if it is needed, and I would back the employee 100%.

Hmm I know there is more, but that is enough for right now.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I like Mytical's idea of sharing in the profits.

I think that would work for many types of company - a friend is thinking of making a company for an online game he has a concept and outline for. That would definitely help keep the overhead down.

I would make sure that nobody that worked for me would have to suffer abuse from customers. If they start swearing or threatening violence, hang up the phone or call the cops to have them removed from the location. Someone damages the location or any goods inside they get charged with the costs and arrested and charged with malicious mischief. Thieves get arrested and charged with theft. You get the idea. I want a *safe* environment. European style vacation time - the US does not allow for enough time off. People would have fixed shifts - this crap about changing everything every damned week is stupid and sucky. Hire enough damned people to cover the shifts. If you do not face the public and it is not a safety issue, come to work in jammies and bunny slippers for all I care. If you do face the public, polo shirts and neat clean jeans or khakies work for me. I am not into formality. Unless you want to wear a suit to work, different strokes and all

My last company, Oakleaf Waste threw absolutely kickass Christmas and award parties - restricted to employees and temps only they took us to killer restaurants and the food was excellent and they always had an open bar and wonderful door prizes [one that I remember seeing was a 32 inch flatscreen TV. I feel that employee appreciation events should be like that, and Myticals bonus program idea with the shares I think would be a good incentive to stick around and work hard.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        My last company, Oakleaf Waste threw absolutely kickass Christmas and award parties - restricted to employees and temps only they took us to killer restaurants and the food was excellent and they always had an open bar and wonderful door prizes [one that I remember seeing was a 32 inch flatscreen TV. I feel that employee appreciation events should be like that, and Myticals bonus program idea with the shares I think would be a good incentive to stick around and work hard.
        My boyfriend works for an ISP doing tech support.

Last year his company threw an awesome Christmas party. Free alcohol (just beer and wine), with a drink of your choice on arrival, you could walk the red carpet () and then once we WERE inside, they had a balloon sculptor (a professional-level one, not some amateur who does them at kids parties...), a body painter (I got some flowers ) and some adult-sized versions of a pinata and Jenga.

My boyfriend got a bit TOO trigger-happy with the pinata.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I would treat my employees with dignity and respect. I would ask them for ideas to help improve the business, and actually listen to them. I would take their input seriously and ask them to help me implement the best of the ideas. And if something proved to be unworkable, I would still thank them for trying.

If someone's behavior on the job became a problem, I would have a private sit-down with them and explain why it has to stop. But I wouldn't turn a small problem into a huge drama. I would have clear expectations, rules and procedures, and remind them that blowing off the rules hurts their fellow employees more than it does management. If someone had to be fired, I'd do it in private with as much compassion as possible (and NOT right before the holidays!) I would not tolerate sexual harrassment, bullying or racism. I'd PAY ATTENTION to what's going on out on the work floor.

Mainly, I would remember that no business makes money without the hard work of its employees. Labor creates all profit. If the business was highly successful, I'd give out decent bonuses to everyone, not just to managers. And definitely provide decent health insurance.

Wow, what a fantasy...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am. Actually, my husband and I both are. I'm a virtual assistant, and my husband is a hotel revenue management consultant. We are currently looking for clients.

Really, we couldn't take it anymore. The working directly for others, I mean. The incredible amount of stress and the way we were treated by owners and managers... we just couldn't keep it up. And we are both in our 30's (late 30's, mind you) so now is the time to do it if we are ever going to.

I lost my job in September, and he's only working for a job part time. My employment is running out. I'm still looking for a job, but what I really want is for the business to really pick up. I can deal with aggravating customers because they are usually there and then gone again. What I've finally had enough of is owners/managers. It's time to be in control of our own lives.

I should add that I'm a HUGE supporter of the worker. That means that if we ever do hire staff, it will be living wages, a month paid vacation plus Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Day, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, Thanksgiving and Halloween. I also support full health care. Fair treatment is incredibly important to me, that means that no matter how high up I end up being in the company, employees can come and talk to me directly if they want. I also intend on capping my own salary which means my salary will vary every year but I will never take more than $400,000 a year for myself, though I do want to make a minimum of $75,000 (but it could go lower depending on how the company is doing).

I just can't allow the injustices I've been seeing any more. Its time to learn to treat employees with respect.
            Last edited by Moirae; 11-20-2012, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Employees would not be allowed to yell or scream at a customer, that would be my job. If an employee has a problem with a customer, they come get me ..and I will yell at the customer. However, if I am not there...

Employee: "I'm terribly sorry, Sir/Ma'am, that you are so displeased with my level of service, that you must loudly scream, and use language that would make a truck driving Sailor, working a Longshore job blush. Unfortunately, the Owner is out for the rest of the day, but is scheduled to be back from 9:00-5:00 tomorrow. Could you kindly come back during those hours, so that he may tell you to go to hell?"

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Actually, I do own a business, but mine doesn't quite work that way. It doesn't need any employees and is quite a failure.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

My BF remembered when a special-interest restaurant chain was looking for investors to open a location here. It eventually opened up in a very popular area, so I know it's going to do *well*... however the capital required to start it up was listed at $100,000. So with that kind of investment at stake... If it was my establishment I sure as hell wouldn't be paying myself peanuts.

I mean I'm for treating people well, but if I went into business it would be to make a profit. So, wages would have to be balanced against the cost of operating. I mean sure, I'd love to see everyone making tons of money, but not if it meant zero profits or - worse - going under.

I've seen enough of that around here already. In fact at one of my previous jobs, for their 10 year anniversary some politician showed up to make a speech praising them for lasting that long. According to the speech, many small businesses fold within 5 years.
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

*nods* If you notice in my business, that I said the employees share in profits. Which are calculated after costs. Still, I believe that is a fairer way to treat employees. Let them share in the profits of a business.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Lets see, actually employing shop fitters to set your store up.
                      Giving the staff enough time to set the store up instead of expecting them to work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day until the store is ready.
                      Paying them a living wage instead of minimum wage.
                      Respecting the fact that some people are not able to what you are requiring of them.

All of the above my current employer doesn't believe in.
                      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

I'm curious, how is $75,000 a year peanuts? Most people will never see that much money in a year.

Comment

I am running into this right now.

In April, 2 guys I work with started our own tech company. So far we are not able to make it our main source of income but we are growing every month.

Our goals are simple.

1)everything is transparent in the company.
                          2)our goal is to make enough money so the owners make $50K a year with benefits.
                          3)after we have the owners working full time, our initial employees will be 1099 for a short time until they hit 90 days and they are hired with benefits. we already have a part timer who is 1099, he is averaging $15 per hour and is getting about 10 hours a week(he is a student living at home and we know his parents).
                          4)we have been paying expenses (gas and food) when people are out working.
                          5)owners and the part-timer are all getting a nice x-mas bonus at the end of the year.
                          6)We will not go into debt to do this, we are boot strapping every step of the way and keeping our day jobs until we can transition over to the business.

We will make money, treat employees with kindness and respect and our customers like gods....

Comment

Working...
                          X