Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked cause I provide a fingerprint clearance card which basically says 'the federal government doesn't think there is a reason I wouldn't be allowed to teach' but like a charter school teacher I have no license (yet) or certificate. Though I wonder if you company looks for certain codes on those pay stubs cause a janitor from the school would have a similar check (all be it for different amounts) as the teachers

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      And you can always dream that they'll get smacked down royally, like this guy on Not Always Right.
      That goes for any branch, not just Navy. Turtleguy is retired Air Force, and while he's always the soul of courtesy and respect I know of people who got in some serious stuff for being rude, for writing bad checks, etc. etc. And if you call up to talk to someone's First Sergeant, and said First Shirt tells you it's "not their problem" then go further up the chain because it most certainly is their problem. This even goes for dependents - while we lived on base we were made to behave ourselves because we didn't want to get our dad in trouble (Dad was Air Force), although we feared my mother's wrath more than we feared the base commander.

As for military discounts, I look stores up on line if I'm curious. If I ask and I'm told "no" I just smile and say, "Just thought I'd ask," and get on with my life.

Comment

The GameStop I worked for had previously offered a military discount because the Babbages in the mall offered one. When they bought and closed the Babbages, they took away the discount. (Go figure.)

We had a nuke base nearby, so we had lots of military types coming in. They were all perfectly understanding and did not care.

The dependents...oy. I had a lady chew me out because we didn't respect the military and blah blah blah. Fortunately, I still had a good brain to mouth filter then, because she had a dependent card. I thought it was rather disrespectful of her to use her family member's service to fish for discounts and cause a scene.

Comment

I have a dependent ID and I do ask about discounts, but I don't cause a scene if there isn't one. When I worked in a military hospital clinic the dependents were the ones who gave me headaches, not usually the military members themselves, although we had one regular patient who was a retired general and would throw a fit and start yelling if he didn't like how long he had to wait for an appointment, etc. I always scheduled him with the department chair, because our department chair was a great guy and wouldn't tolerate his staff being mistreated.

Comment

Is it wrong when I read the tread title the movie Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind?
            Cop's giving Clint static and says the same thing..
            Gunny Hiway- "yea but your old lady does"
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
              Is it wrong when I read the tread title the movie Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind?
              Cop's giving Clint static and says the same thing..
              Gunny Hiway- "yea but your old lady does"

Incidentally, that's where we get the phrase "Your Mother wears Army boots" from. People know it's supposed to be an insult, but few know exactly why....
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Today, I got a lesson in humility from a Viet Nam combat vet.

This is not really germane to the subject of the thread, but it is to the side conversation.

I was interviewing a homeless vet for food stamps.* He had served 8 years, the last 4 of which were the same as my 4 years. I mentioned that and also commented about how he had served during a very hard time. We had a short conversation about where we had both served and moved on.

As I was interviewing him, I was suggesting resources that might be helpful for him, and typing them in a notepad so I could give them to him at the end of the interview. (I do this for anyone who seems receptive to my suggestions.)

When I went out to get his signatures, I gave him the printout, shook his hand and thanked him for his service. He thanked me for my help and then thanked me for my service When I demurred, he looked me straight in the eyes and told me that if not for folks like me back in the safe zones, many folks like him would not have survived. He said "I volunteered to fight because that is how I was made. You volunteered to serve because that is how you are made. Look at this list, you still serve."

Then he left. And I fled back to my cube in tears.

TLDR: Today, I was interviewing a homeless vet for food stamps. He never once asked for special status due to his being a vet AND made me feel like what I had done during the times he was fighting that ugly war was as important as what he had done.

*(I am a vet and served 4 years in the Air Force just as the Viet Nam war was winding down. I am female. I am NOT a Viet Nam vet. I am a Viet Nam Era vet. In my mind, there is a BIG difference between the two, so I feel its important to always make that distinction. I'm also only mentioning it because its important to the story.)
                Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 12-31-2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

He was quite right, and you are also to be commended. He is the type of vet that every vet should wish to emulate.
                  "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                    He was quite right, and you are also to be commended. He is the type of vet that every vet should wish to emulate.
                    Amen, Katherine. Amen.

Comment

You are all making me cry!
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

At the Big Yellow Price Tag where I work, we will do a military discount on appliances as part of our price matching policy, but you HAVE to present an active duty ID or your DD-214 and the item in question has to be in stock at one of the two big box hardware chains that offer said discount. We do this as a courtesy because washers, dryers, stoves and other appliances are pretty much necessities. We will not do a military discount on HDTVs, game consoles, stereos, iPads or anything else like that. Likewise, any appliance that is listed as a UMRP (Unilateral Minimum Retail Price Policy) item will not be discounted.

Bear in mind, this is not official policy and will vary from BYPT store to BYPT store.
                        "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                        X