This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Bushes at Dawn

This is a slightly older story, but I remembered it after posting my recent thread.

It is my very first "False Advertisement" complaint.

BG: I was a month or so in at my job and working with plants, we had a big rose bush table setup with various roses, (rose bush trees, red, pink etc). There was some certain kind of rose bush we had, and in front of all these rose bush of the same type was a metal sign that said $12.44 Each. Simple no?

Well, it was very windy the last few days and this day was gusty as well.
    We also had a discount table on the far end in a corner of the lot. (this plays a role)
    End BG.

I'm at the register, not too busy just shoppers and this lady comes up with her husband and son. Her basket is nothing but those rose bushes. the husband sets two 2 liters of soda and a box of a dozen doughnuts on the belt.
    WM: Women.
    HB: Husband
    MM: Manager
    Me: me. (kid didn't say anything.)

Me: Hello! (starts talking about how I love the roses, (I planted some at my house.)
    (Rings up the roses with quantity button as they are all the same (I checked) ).
    Total is somewhere around $80.00. Without doughnuts + pop.

WM: "Oh no! That can't be right, they are supposed to be $1.24 each".
    (Even at the early stage I call bullshit)
    Me:"They are ringing up at $12.44 each Mam."
    WM:"The sign says $1.24 each."
    Me:" Could you show me?
    So she leads me outside to the sign, picture it like this -> (below)

1. A Dollar sign $
    2. A Large One 1
    3. A Large Two 2
    4. A small Four 4
    5. (normally a second small Four 4) -> missing

It is impossible judging from the gap to mistake $12.44 as $12.4 - to be $1.24
    Look down at sign base, there is a number 4 card laying on the ground.
    The culprit? Either Wind or Customer.

Me:"Oh, looks like the wind just blew the number off, the pots themselves say $12.44 on them (it was windy as we stood there and we could hear the other signs flapping around us.)
    WM: "I was told by a worker here that these are $1.24.
    What? Who? It wasn't me. The only other worker here is my manager.
    Me:"Do you know who it was?"
    WM:"Manager name"
    Me:"well, let me see if I can find her"
    We go back inside and my manager is arranging a shelf, I walk over to her, she is in an aisle where she can't see the basket but is talking to me.
    Me:"Hey MM, did you tell a customer we had roses for $1.24?"
    MM:"Oh yes, we've marked them down."
    Me:....."Really?" cue emphasis. "That's a heck of a good deal."
    MM: catches on, "Wait what are you talking about?"
    Me:"These $12.44 roses."
    She gets me.
    MM walks over, "Oh no those are $12.44, the $1.24 was for the discount plants."
    WM:"Well the sign said $1.24"
    MM:"Show me"
    Rinse, lather, repeat.

As she is outside saying it is not $1.24 the husband pipes in
    HB:"Isn't that false advertising?"
    Me: "Oh no sir, it's just that the wind blew down our sign. We had signs blowing all over last night and still today, can't control the wind and all that y'know?"

WM storms back in saying they are leaving.
    HB:"What about this stuff hon?" points at the soda and doughnuts
    WM:"Nope, leaving it as well."

Husband shrugs at me and walks off after her with kid.

Me and MM shake our heads and put all the pots of roses back on the table.

I wonder if the kid thought she was an idiot as well?
    Last edited by Eddyisme; 01-02-2017, 07:37 AM. Reason: in instead of on

"I'll show YOU by leaving my shopping behind and storming off in a huff!" Please tell us she said she'd never shop there again and actually kept the promise!

Comment

Used to get people like that at the garden centre all the time. The one I worked at (in the pet store in the centre, but I still got to observe SCs all over the store, yay?) used to have a box of clearance plants just outside my section. These were the houseplants that were nearing the end of their life and usually priced at a pound each. Never did a day go by without an SC trying to scam us by prising off the £1 price ticket and sticking it on a regular plant to try and get it for the discounted price. Never worked, for the simple fact that all the clearance plants were put in bright yellow pots to differentiate them from the full priced ones. Before you ask, no customers ever seemed to notice this until it was pointed out that since the yucca plant they were claiming was from the clearance box was in a normal terracotta pot and not a bright yellow one, it definitely wasn't on clearance.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
      X