This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Internet - Wireless Router - Old PC

I hope it's alright to ask these questions here. If not, feel free to let me have it with both barrells!

I hate to admit this but I have a 5½ year old Compaq Presario running Windows Me. I'm kind of stuck with it for now due to finances. Right now I'm on dial-up (Earthlink) and am so sick of it's slowness I could scream. My son just moved back home. This past weekend he bought a brand new laptop running Vista and got hooked up to cable internet. I would like to get a piece of that action but am confused as to how to set it up.

My son would like to get a wireless router so he can move about with his laptop and get online anywhere in the house. I've done some 'Googling' but everything I've read is a bit confusing.

Since my computer is old, runs Windows Me and doesn't appear to have an NIC installed, will it be able to connect to the internet through the same cable modem using a wireless router? My PC does have an ethernet adapter and an NDIS 1394 Net Adapter, would I need to install an NIC card? I'm also wondering about the compatibility of his cable modem to my Windows Me PC?

It sometimes seems I'm the last one in the world to be using Me as I can't seem to find any answers regarding that OS and what is or is not compatible.

Or maybe I'm asking the wrong questions.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

*sad sigh*
    Unfortunately, ME is no longer supported. It was essentially a stopgap version between Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows XP. It has many flaws and a horrible memory leak that ultimately makes it unstable. Very few people are going to be able to help with it.

NIC = Network Interface Card. Since you say you have a network adapter, that would be a NIC inside your system. Even at 5.5 years old, it was pretty standard to have one. So that solves your NIC problem. If the wireless router could be placed near to you, you could even hook up a wired connection to it (depending on brand and so forth).

However, it would almost be my recommendation to blow the OS off the system and load another Windows for better compatibility with a wireless router. What are the hardware specs for the system?

Comment

Best option available? Dynamite and getting a new computer.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
        My PC does have an ethernet adapter and an NDIS 1394 Net Adapter, would I need to install an NIC card? I'm also wondering about the compatibility of his cable modem to my Windows Me PC?
        That's what you need. You don't need to worry about a NIC since you already have the ethernet adapter.

You probably will not have a problem. The modem should be using a networking protocol that is platform independent. So unless your computer is totally ancient, i.e. from the 80's, you should be OK. Windows ME should natively understand LAN protocols. As long as you're using a standard cat-5 cable and RJ-45 connector, you should be set.

As for your setup, the modem should be hooked up to the wireless router. That router likely has ports on it to connect a computer to it through a physical connection (cat-5), so you just hook your computer to the router through that.
        Last edited by trunks2k; 04-05-2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

From what I understand, Linksys still support Win98/ME. However DLink don't.

As said above, the router should not care what O.S. you're running. You should be able to set up the router through the laptop if the router ez-setup software don't work on WinMe.

Most likely since you have a network card, it should be as simple as pluging it in. Unless earthlink does some funky stuff to your network settings.

For simple setup, plug cable from cable modem to the "internet" plug on the router. Plug the cable from your computer into one of the available outlets on the router.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
            From what I understand, Linksys still support Win98/ME. However DLink don't.
            Well to be clear, when they say this, they're talking about the applications they distribute to have a better UI to the settings or the USB connection it may have. In terms of just normal useage, they shouldn't care what OS it is.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
              In terms of just normal useage, they shouldn't care what OS it is.
              Correct, with exceptions for wireless cards/usb. You have to make sure that they're supported by the O.S.

I wanted to put wireless on my computer upstairs (which has Win98). I had to get Linksys because they were the only one that supported Win98 that I found.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                I had to get Linksys because they were the only one that supported Win98 that I found.
                Yeah, for the wireless card that goes into the computer, it'll care.

I thought we were talking about the modem/router, which won't care.

Comment

Like some people have said here, you should be OK with hooking up the wireless router to your PC. All the wireless routers I've seen have 4-5 wired ethernet ports on the back of them, so it should be just to hook up an ethernet cable from the router to your PC.

About the only thing I'd be concerned with is making sure you have good virus protection, and using a web browser other than Internet Explorer.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Best option available? Dynamite and getting a new computer.
                    I was sorely tempted to do that w/this stupid 7 year old Gateway 500 P3 that still runs 98se today. I may be the only person in the world still using that OS, but then my brother is still running ME.

Back when we had DSL the first time, I ended up installing an Ethernet card into the ME machine b/c Windows wouldn't recognize the USB connection just so my brother could share the high speed connection. With the current wireless modem/router, we have it in his room and the ME machine is hardwired via Ethernet.

While mine is on a USB wireless adaptor that for some reason likes to interfere with Avast antivirus and the Help Center software is nothing but a drain on the RAM.

*sigh*
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Thank-you all for your replies.

BlackIronCrown ~
                      As I Googled I read so many things about NIC (Network Interface Controller) cards and didn't see the NDIS 1394 Net Adapter I have in my PC listed anywhere. So I didn't know if it is an NIC or not.

As far as putting another OS on this PC, such as XP, it wouldn't be able to handle it. It only has 128 MB RAM...the bare minimum for XP. I've seen PCs with 128 MB RAM try to run XP. It ain't purdy! I suppose I could add more RAM but I've also read of nightmares people have had putting XP on a machine that once ran Windows Me. It's not recommended anywhere I've checked because it seems fragments of Me are left behind and they don't play nice with XP.

lordlundar~
                      I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Actually, if it weren't for the fact that Microsoft no longer supports Me, (and most new software is incompatible) I would be happy with it. I've had no problems with it at all...guess I've been fortunate.

trunks2k~
                      I know what a standard cat-5 cable is but not the RJ-45 connector.

As I searched for information I found one site that had a diagram of how to install a wireless router but it also said something about a WiFi card, which my PC doesn't have. At least I don't see one listed in the Device Manager.

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                      As for your setup, the modem should be hooked up to the wireless router. That router likely has ports on it to connect a computer to it through a physical connection (cat-5), so you just hook your computer to the router through that.
                      So that would mean my PC would actually be "wired" and my son's laptop would be wireless?

LostMyMind~
                      I did check the Linksys site but I can't recall right now what, if anything, I learned. I've read so much about this the last few days that my head is swimming. None of it made sense after a while. But I do wonder about the software and if it would be compatible with Me because so much isn't these days.

My son hasn't gotten the router yet. Once he does I may return with more questions. Thanks again guys 'n gals.
                      Retail Haiku:
                      Depression sets in.
                      The hellhole is calling me ~
                      I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        I was sorely tempted to do that w/this stupid 7 year old Gateway 500 P3 that still runs 98se today. I may be the only person in the world still using that OS, but then my brother is still running ME.
                        I was looking at the site stats on Sunday. We had 0.01% of visitors using Windows 3.X. 0.03% were on Windows 95. I can't remember the Win98 stats, nor can I be bothered to look up the ME stats, but there are old systems out there.

Rapscallion

Comment

[QUOTE=Retail Associate;108167]NDIS 1394 Net Adapter I have in my PC listed anywhere. So I didn't know if it is an NIC or not.

So that would mean my PC would actually be "wired" and my son's laptop would be wireless?
                          [QUOTE]

Welll, pretty much what you've said here.

IEEE 1394 is a firewire interface. This is a faster serial connection than USB, and Firewire was started by Apple....just really hasn't caught on. Skip this puppy.

Take a look @ the end of a Cat5 cable. It looks like a fat phone plug, right? Well, you just have to find the FAT phone plug on the back of your computer. If the RJ45 end fits (thats the tech term for the FAT phone plug ) you have a NIC.
                          NIC is Network Interface Card, can be onboard mother board or a sep card by itself.

Your PC would be wired, and the others would be wireless, yes.

Now:
                          If you plan on doing this: READ THE MANUAL BEFORE EVEN PLUGGIN IN THE WIRELESS ROUTER. EVER.

You will need to change login, password, SSID and encryption. You will also need to write that info down.
                          Read this article:
                          http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...changessid.htm

If you dont change from default setup, I could stand outside your house and pick up the signal, and do some massive downloads....and you'd pay for going over your limits.

Personally, if you don't know this stuff, I'd find someone locally who DOES and is willing to walk you thru it, work with you. You're jumping in, learning yes, but you can leave self open to lots of security problems. Call your local college and see if any students want to help - trade a dinner for a setup.

As for your pc:
                          Try this:
                          www.belarc.com/free_download.htm

Belarc is a cool utility that will print out all the specs of your computer.
                          With that information, you can answer our questions: how much ram, what is front side bus speed....how fast is the chip...etc.

What I used to do is go to a users house, clean out machine, defrag, set it up the way they wanted: and get a print out of the specs...so if they had a question, they could read the paper and answer me instead of growling at the kbd Where is that stuipd link...

I'd seriously look into getting a new box. Dell has some specials on a regular basis, you could spend around $500 and get a great machine & LCD.

Good Luck

Cutenoob
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post

trunks2k~
                            I was just being very, very specific, the RJ-45 connector is what is at the end of your standard cat-5 cable. You can theoretically have cat-5 cable with something other than RJ-45 connector, but nobody really does that. The standard ethernet cable (cat-5 cable) you get at best buy is what you need. Just a word of warning, make sure it doesn't say "rollover cable" on the package, I've seen them sold occassionally at some stores, they look exactly like your normal ethernet cable but they are wired just ever so slightly differently (the wires are connected to different pins) and won't work.

As I searched for information I found one site that had a diagram of how to install a wireless router but it also said something about a WiFi card, which my PC doesn't have. At least I don't see one listed in the Device Manager.
                            I doubt your computer has a wi-fi card in it given it's age, especially if it's a PC, not a laptop. Most PC's do not come with wireless cards as it's usually pretty pointless, since it's stationary and thus better to use a physical line rather than a wireless connection.

Yes. Your PC will have a physical connection to the router - meaning there will be an etherenet cable connecting your router to your PC, while your son's laptop will be wireless.
                            Last edited by trunks2k; 04-06-2007, 01:30 PM.

Comment

While not as extreme as dynamite and a new PC, I would heartily recommend getting an upgraded PC for many reasons - especially if you're going on cable internet.

- Newer PC's will be better able to give you what you're looking for on cable, where the ME machine will not perform as well.

- Since newer PC's are going for $300-500 depending on where you get them, it's not a bad investment, and you can even update those to get that wireless connection you're looking for, rather than have to be tied by ethernet.

- Most AV/anti-spyware programs no longer support 98/ME (nor do most cable ISP's), so protection is an issue here as well.

As an aside....if you have 98/ME and do not have a NIC, and are planning on getting cable - GET ONE, for sanity's sake. Most cable modem USB drivers do not recognize the older OS/hardware in 98/ME, and it's better to shell out $15 for a NIC than tear your hair out trying to get the USB to work. *whew!*
                              Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Working...
                              X