This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Going to be a LONG DAY

Pulled up to work this morning with my coffee and Cinnamon Melt from McD's and there's three people waiting at the store. Seems there's an outage. So NOBODY'S cell phone works. Everyone's getting the "system busy" error. I phone customer care. Yes, they know about the outage. Yes, someone's working on it. But no, they don't know what's wrong with the tower and no they don't know how long it will take to fix.

I'm working alone today. It's gonna be a long one.

"Whatdoya MEAN there's an outage?"
    "Whatdoya MEAN you dunno when it'll be fixed????"
    "Am I gettin' a bill credit for this? I think I DESERVE one! You know how many calls I'm missing???"
    "Whatdoyou MEAN you can't DO bill credits? I have to call CUSTOMER CARE???!"
    "This is just BAD customer service!"

All of which I heard uttered in my store, many many times, last time there was an outage.

Don't mind me, I'll just be hiding under the desk.
    I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Oh you guys CAN'T do credits?

That explains why everyone calls me begging for one at the support call center.

I think I'm glad it's my day off.

Comment

Well we're a dealer, not corporate owned. Dunno if the Corp stores can, but we cannot.

In other news, I would very much like a granade launcher. It's been THAT fun today.
      I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

As I'm in the cable industry I deal with outages alot, and explaining them to the customers. "No, we did not plan on it, some idiot cut through a fiber line. I don't know when it will be fixed, maybe it will be fixed when they have it repaired? Oh, and you want credit, well that comes to 93 cents. No, we cannot commpensate you for the cellphone minutes you spent on hold. Did you hear the message when you first called in that stated there was an outage in your area?"
        Last edited by BravoOrig; 04-08-2007, 01:34 AM.

Comment

On Thursday, someone cut through an AT&T fiber optic cable. That cable supplies internet access to MoreNet, which supplies internet to just about every K-12, higher ed, and library in the state. About 50 institutions were out.

It was fun to explain why we didn't know the status. "Well, we're on the end of the information chain. The cable is cut about 100 miles away, the cable is owned by AT&T, so we have to wait for AT&T to tell MoreNet who can tell us." We don't know, goway!

LONG DAY!
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Gah, that sucks. Last year we had a server go down and some of my less tech savy customers couldn't understand why they couldn't access the system. I managed to appease several by telling them there were severe thunderstorms and that is why the system was down. Sadly enough, they bought it.
            "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Sounds like the SCs I had while 9-11 was happening (and I was working a stone's throw from NYC).
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Why does it suprise me that you'd have SCs even during 9/11? I've worked in retail and tech support for years, I shouldn't be suprised by anything!

Comment

Quoth IlovemyGeek View Post
                  Gah, that sucks. Last year we had a server go down and some of my less tech savy customers couldn't understand why they couldn't access the system. I managed to appease several by telling them there were severe thunderstorms and that is why the system was down. Sadly enough, they bought it.
                  Sounds like you need an excuse generator, like the BOFH uses.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/bofhserver.pl
                  "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
                  -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                    On Thursday, someone cut through an AT&T fiber optic cable. That cable supplies internet access to MoreNet, which supplies internet to just about every K-12, higher ed, and library in the state. About 50 institutions were out.

It was fun to explain why we didn't know the status. "Well, we're on the end of the information chain. The cable is cut about 100 miles away, the cable is owned by AT&T, so we have to wait for AT&T to tell MoreNet who can tell us." We don't know, goway!

LONG DAY!
                    When is everyone just going to move to self healing SONET. I swear cut fiber is so 1990's

Comment

Quoth Aressel View Post
                      Sounds like you need an excuse generator, like the BOFH uses.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/bofhserver.pl

OMG, this just made my day. I LMAO at "Elves on Strike"
                      "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Working...
                      X