This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
    And western NY, and eastern CT, and Tidewater Va.... Rob isn't home or I could ask about Central Valley CA ... my microscopic little eastern CT village has both the firehall and town hall venues to rent. I would personally go for the town hall venue option, it as better parking and a nicer kitchen.
    Add in the Canadian Maritimes, especially Cape Breton, though I've seen it in New Brunswick too. Mainly in smaller communities in my experience.

It could be an East Coast/New England type thing (as in from areas heavily influenced from England's colonization)

Comment

Adding to another member's story...

I was in choir for both years of Junior High. We get MickeyLand trips at the end of the school year.

7th grade, we were allowed to roam until a certain time then meet at our buses. However, some witches ruined that by shoplifting at the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.

So next year, we had to have chaperones. My group chaperone was the parent of a girl who hated me and my two friends in the group. So what do they do? Let us off free. We stayed out of trouble (and I had my first interpreting experience then!) but when we got together, we got bitched out HEAVILY by the chaperone who let us go and my teacher. ._.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
        Still! Why shoot a lighthouse? Why leap onto an old bed or smash down a door or whatever else to historical sites and artifacts like that? I just don't understand the motivation.
        back when I was a kid my Father would take me "hiking" along the railroad track that ran along the Mississippi River. There was several stretches each a couple of miles long that we would walk. Several things we found out over the years.

1. It used to be "cool and fun" to shoot at the glass wire insulators on the electric poles
        2. it used to be "cool and fun" to shoot out the RR signal lights
        3. it used to be "cool and fun" to shoot at the RR signal boxes (some of them had more armor than a tank and no I am not kidding)
        4. it used to be " cool and fun" to shoot at the electric poles themselves and try and snap them in half with as much fire power as possible. You would not believe the size of some of the slugs we dug out of the poles. and yes some poles became so weakened they did snap in half
        5. it used to be "cool and fun" for try and mess up the tracks, the track wiring, sensors the landslide detectors and the like.

All we ever did was walk to tracks and shake our heads at the carnage some fool perpetrated.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Fudgethatkay View Post
          7th grade, we were allowed to roam until a certain time then meet at our buses. However, some witches ruined that by shoplifting at the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.
          Some kids in my brother's class did that. They decided to steal things from one of the shops...and got busted for it. Not only did they get caught, but got arrested as well. As if that wasn't enough, the school was notified (the kids got suspended when they returned), as well as their parents...who had to fly down and pick up the jailbirds after they were released. Oh, and the kids in question had to come back *later* for their court dates.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            Back in my grade school days (40+ odd years ago) a group of the church alter boys (me included) went to the local major amusement park ( a 6 Flags) as a "Thank You for your service".

<snip>

It seems that 2 or 3 little shits in a group decided to shoplift a LOT of stuff from various gift shops and eventually got caught.
            Since this was a church group, my guess is that the following Sunday's sermon had a BIG emphasis on one particular item in a "top 10" list.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Well, I'm hoping the principal of the school was contacted and that this whole episode was a shock. And if he's a good administrator he'll make sure the culprits are punished and that something like this never happens again.

OTOH if he doesn't really seem to care then I would feel a ban on the entire school would be warranted at that point...

Comment

There was one incident that wound up being the opposite. Instead of a school getting banned from partaking in events, they were banned from having student teachers.

Why? Because this one teacher decided to go and break several rules, all for the purpose of trying to forcefully integrate a student into her classroom. (School was an alternative school)
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  There was one incident that wound up being the opposite. Instead of a school getting banned from partaking in events, they were banned from having student teachers.

Why? Because this one teacher decided to go and break several rules, all for the purpose of trying to forcefully integrate a student into her classroom. (School was an alternative school)
                  I do not understand "alternative school" or "forcefully integrate" a student.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

My 5th grade teacher (1991-92) always reminded us that we are representing [blank] Elementary School on trips like that. I guess some of those classes didn't get that memo. :P

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      More proof that too many people don't teach their kids to have respect for other people and other people's property.
                      Like it was said in Karate Kid, no such thing as bad student...only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do. Or in this case teacher don't say student don't do.

Comment

Estil - My HS did that, in spades. Students could -- and were -- punished in-school for things they did on the outside that reflected poorly upon the school/its rep.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                          I do not understand "alternative school" or "forcefully integrate" a student.
                          Sorry, I should've elaborated.

Alternative school: Basically they run a particular methodology and/or curriculum that differs from your bog standard education. You hear of things like Steiner/Waldorf, Montessori, progressive, Sudbury Schools, Dalton Plan etc. This particular school was a Steiner school.

Integration: In Steiner schools, the students stay with the same teacher from the moment they start formal education until they finish primary school. Therefore friendship groups form very quickly and tend to remain solid throughout the years. Students can join at any time throughout the school year, but tend to find themselves struggling to form friendships because everyone is very tight-knit. Some students also have an adjustment period to Steiner education if they've come from a standard school.

In this case, the student I'm referring to had both of the issues mentioned above. While she had a couple of friends, everything else was troublesome according to this teacher. Her solution? Stick the student with two kids who tormented her constantly. On top of that, when said student got upset, the teacher's response was to chase her down and leave me to run the class....for 40 minutes. On my own (this is a HUGE breach of duty of care...student teachers are not to be left alone with an entire class) while she tried to talk to the student. On top of that, the teacher also had issues with the student's preference for anime and the drawings that she did (the latter is ironic as the school is meant to encourage "creativity"). The anime that the student watched? Vampire Knight.
                          Yes OK, slightly disturbing, but placing that student in the context of other girls her age, she was actually not as bad, especially given that other children in the class watched stuff that was even worse.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            On top of that, the teacher also had issues with the student's preference for anime and the drawings that she did (the latter is ironic as the school is meant to encourage "creativity"). The anime that the student watched? Vampire Knight.
                            Yes OK, slightly disturbing, but placing that student in the context of other girls her age, she was actually not as bad, especially given that other children in the class watched stuff that was even worse.
                            Spent 3 years of HS in an "alternative" type setting (was an Open School format, which set up kinda like a college. You had a homeroom teacher but each class was w/a different teacher - and the days and times you had your core subject classes differered depending on the mini-cycle schedule. Four mini cycles per semester and we had classes Mon-Wed-Fri and others on Tues-Thurs. 3rd period was reserved for Interdisciplinary Cirriculum, which would count either as an English or a History credit. Electives we took at the regular high school or traveled by bus halfway across town to a huge educational center that offered some of the more state of the art electives such as Food Service, Comptuers, business math, woodworking, etc.)

Started writing right after I started HS as a 9th grader . . . what people found strange was the fact that I was writing stories based on characters from a vintage TV show (not to mention just the antics that the two sisters get into and part of what I was writing back in those days centered around those two during Senior Year of HS.)

Yet just a couple of years befor that the middle schoolers I was in class with were reading V. C. Andrews books like it was an addiction. Yet what I was writing was considered too risque - yet "Flowers In The Attic" was so much better??

Let me get this straight: you want to criticize the fact that I've got two sisters here who are not only not quite old enough to vote but are MARRIED off and basically living a double life yet you can let middle school kids read about incest between a brother and sister who were being held captive in their grandmother's attic??
                            Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 06-22-2014, 01:49 PM.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                              [*]Spitting out of the suspended gondola cars
                              We told you to hold on to the handrail! We asked you NOT to spit over the side!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Comment

OMG the little shits! This makes me so mad. So many kids are taught to just not give a damn anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X