This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highway Flooded? I Can Make It

Police stop four drivers trying to drive down a closed portion of Hwy. 37 in Marin, CA. It was closed due to flooding. They're lucky because they didn't end up like this guy, or worse.

Don't Drive on Closed Roads - People Behaving Badly
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Some people shouldn't be issued a license to BREATHE, much less drive...

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
      Police stop four drivers trying to drive down a closed portion of Hwy. 37 in Marin, CA. It was closed due to flooding. They're lucky because they didn't end up like this guy, or worse.

Don't Drive on Closed Roads - People Behaving Badly
      they do this all the time because they don't think its that deep..... if I cant see the road nope im turning around.

Comment

People around here don't seem to know how to deal with water. I mean, I know we haven't seen much rain in the recent decade, but it's been raining a heck of a lot in the past few months. Time enough to remember those rain-driving skills. Mostly: Slow down, pay attention, and don't be an idiot!

Oops, forgot where I was for a minute.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          People around here don't seem to know how to deal with water. I mean, I know we haven't seen much rain in the recent decade, but it's been raining a heck of a lot in the past few months. Time enough to remember those rain-driving skills. Mostly: Slow down, pay attention, and don't be an idiot!

Oops, forgot where I was for a minute.
          I live in deep south to them slow down means lets do 20-40 on the highway with a speed limit of 65 and the min being 40 wile I slow down I do the speed limit and watch what I am doing and try to stay in one lane it rains daily u would think by now they could drive in it with out getting suck in a flood or flash flood majority of us know what roads to avoid when its raining bad.

Comment

Years ago, my brother was heading into Chicago with a friend in said friend's Jeep CJ. The came upon a flooded railroad underpass. The was a station wagon in there sunk up to the windows. The CJ had a good lift, so he decided to drive through. As the water got higher, the soon came to realize that the sunk vehicle was not a station wagon, but Jeep Grand Cherokee.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

We have certain areas here in Greensboro that are prone to flood whenever we have heavy rains as well. TV newscasters will preach until they are blue about driving in water and every freakin' time, the news reports are flooded with reports of people getting stuck in rising water.

I suspect these are the same idiots who try to drive normally on ice and wonder why they skid and wreck.

Same scenario, different place.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                Years ago, my brother was heading into Chicago with a friend in said friend's Jeep CJ. The came upon a flooded railroad underpass. The was a station wagon in there sunk up to the windows. The CJ had a good lift, so he decided to drive through. As the water got higher, the soon came to realize that the sunk vehicle was not a station wagon, but Jeep Grand Cherokee.
                I had a friend in high school that would drive into these huge puddles when he was in Wilmington, NC, and it rained. Since Wilmington is flat and almost at sea level, many parking lots would have these huge puddles. He would drive until he felt the car float.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                We have certain areas here in Greensboro that are prone to flood whenever we have heavy rains as well. TV newscasters will preach until they are blue about driving in water and every freakin' time, the news reports are flooded with reports of people getting stuck in rising water.
                A woman in Greensboro drove her moped into a flooded river but was rescued. She drowned when she went back to retrieve her drowned moped. She won a Darwin Award for that decision.

Comment

The nice thing about modern cars is they have so many electronics they usually short out and die before the owners can go too deep.

In fact, that guy in the video likely borderline totalled his car because of the high cost of replacing the entire wiring harness, let alone the interior.

Older cars wouldn't quit until you got water into the air intake.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Don't try to dive on flooded roads even if you've got an amphicar or a schwimwagen. There's probably a VERY strong current that your vehicle can't handle.

For normal vehicles, if you can't see the road, you can't even be sure it hasn't washed out.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Oooh, a Schwimmer! I'd love to have one of those.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                        A woman in Greensboro drove her moped into a flooded river but was rescued. She drowned when she went back to retrieve her drowned moped. She won a Darwin Award for that decision.

IIRC that happened near McCleansville (not far from my house - somewhere around the Mount Hope Church Road/McCleansville road area) - it made the local news.

Also I suspect alcohol was involved but can't recall if that was mentioned in the news article.

Either way I'm sure that's one mistake she won't make again.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

... I'm sure that's one mistake she won't make again.
                          Supposedly you learn in each incarnation...

... more inzinniaous ways to die.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Also I suspect alcohol was involved but can't recall if that was mentioned in the news article.
                            Since she was riding a liquor cycle, I would say that would be a distinct possibility.

Comment

Scuba doobah doo...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X