Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

So I'm not a customer because I work here...?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Default So I'm not a customer because I work here...?

My store sells local milk in glass bottles (best chocolate milk EVAH), empties are returnable for a deposit. I had 3 to return yesterday. So I go up to the counter when the cashier says "Next" (note at this point I am the only person in line). When I say "I have some bottles to return", the cashier glances at a guy who had come up behind me and says "Can you wait a second, I have a customer right now."

Um, you called me up first. Yeah, I may not be buying something, but the other guy came through the self-checkout lane (and could see you were occupied).

I didn't want to get in a confrontation about it (all told, it only wasted about a minute of time but I was waiting on someone anyway), but it was just a bit irritating.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

If you're in line (especially when off the clock), you're a customer just like any other -- just one who actually knows what they're doing.
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival. ~ C. S. Lewis

"French is my favorite ... Especially to curse with ... It's like wiping your arse with silk. I love it." The Merovingian, "The Matrix: Reloaded"
"Customers are like van Gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit

Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 PM
Philosophical Tomato

I was off the clock and out of uniform at that point. All the cashiers know me on sight, this guy must have been new-ish. I did say something immediately afterwards to the head cashier--who witnessed the whole thing--and she didn't seem too concerned.

This morning I said something to the FEM who had actually started in Grocery (I kept the payout receipt, so he knew who was logged on that register)...he was less than impressed.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:11 AM
Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
I was off the clock and out of uniform at that point. All the cashiers know me on sight, this guy must have been new-ish. I did say something immediately afterwards to the head cashier--who witnessed the whole thing--and she didn't seem too concerned.
Of course she didn't. I'm experiencing that mental block from people in similar positions in my store, especially when I've reported behaviour that ought to have been brought to the attention of Loss Prevention, much less the assistant manager for the front end.

Quote:
This morning I said something to the FEM who had actually started in Grocery (I kept the payout receipt, so he knew who was logged on that register)...he was less than impressed.
Hopefully the cashier gets spoken to soon before a corporate employee passes through and wants to buy something.