This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows security patches discontinued

Even though it's computer-related, it's a link so I'm putting it in CIO.

Don't know how many of you have heard about this already, but Microsoft is no longer issuing security patches for a particular version of Windows. Nope, it's not a (late) reminder about XP - this deals with 8.1 (and I checked the date on the article - even though it's this month, it's NOT the 1st). Windows 7 and 8.0 are unaffected.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

not quite, they are releasing a free update to 8.1 and then it is required for any further updates.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

From what I read in the article, the "you must get this update in order to download any further patches" update was pulled, so you can't get it, which means you can't get any further patches.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I was able to find and get the patch. It came with the regular update.
        Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I tried the 8.1.1 update last week. An hour and a backup later, I think I'll give that update a pass for now.
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

It's a simple Service Pack conversion. The required patch is being put in with other updates in a pack so it's one download instead of several dozen. Every version of Windows since '95 has done it. It's simply rebranded as "Update" instead of "Service Pack".

The real problem is that the Update is having install problems and Microsoft pulled it from their servers without offering an alternative.

Then again, I still use Win7 and see no reason to go to Win8 So I'm golden either way.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

My Windows 8 has no Start button, and unless they bring back the Start Menu (as opposed to just a Start Button), I won't be upgrading any time soon.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Win 8.1 sucks. I didn't know before downloading it that it caused problems with IE, IE would have to reboot every 10 minutes or so and after about an hour of this my internet would go down. Yeah fun, especially when on Youtube. I'd have to reboot my laptop to get it working again.

I did figure out the mystery of how my laptop was turning 'airplane mode' on. The culprit is a fuzzy kitty named Ruby. She'd walk on the keyboard right over the airplane mode key toggle.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                X