Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Trouble installing new printer
Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Area Manager

Default Trouble installing new printer

So after a runaround with the delivery company that was supposed to deliver my new printer in a day or two but ended up taking almost two weeks, I finally have it home and hooked up.

I inserted the installation CD and waited. Nothing happened, though I could see the light was on under the CD/DVD player. Finally, I clicked "Computer" and took a look at the files on the CD.

I tried clicking on the installation file, and got this: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

Okay, so I know I could use a new computer, but not just yet. What the hell do I do with it? Can the printer (HP DeskJet 2130) be used without the installation CD?

My computer runs Windows 7 32-bit.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Chairman of the Board

You can visit HP.com and down a variety of printer drivers that may not be on your CD.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Be sure to select the correct operating system.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM
Store Manager

Yeah, the shipped drivers are probably 64-bit specific these days, but they may have a usable 32-bit driver on their website.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:46 AM
Assistant Manager

The download page does have Win7 32bit. As someone that fixes HPs I can say this... Never use the install disk if you have an internet connection. Always download. The one sub rule to that is if you are using non-OEM toner/ink, make sure the printer doesn't auto-update it's firmware. HP has been sneaking something they call Dynamic Security into the firmware. It causes the printer to error out saying Supply Memory Error with non-OEM. HP says to install OEM and call the maker of the nonOEM and have them update the chips on the toner/ink. The bad thing is that you will be stuck with a set of toner/ink that you can't use because most wont take back open toner/ink.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Area Manager

Thanks; it worked!

Arcus, thanks for the warning. The printer, fortunately, came with ink, and it's in good shape (undoubtedly OEM). I have no idea how long it'll be before I need more - a good while, I hope.

Printing successful, scanning successful.