This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing new printer

So after a runaround with the delivery company that was supposed to deliver my new printer in a day or two but ended up taking almost two weeks, I finally have it home and hooked up.

I inserted the installation CD and waited. Nothing happened, though I could see the light was on under the CD/DVD player. Finally, I clicked "Computer" and took a look at the files on the CD.

I tried clicking on the installation file, and got this: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

Okay, so I know I could use a new computer, but not just yet. What the hell do I do with it? Can the printer (HP DeskJet 2130) be used without the installation CD?

My computer runs Windows 7 32-bit.

You can visit HP.com and down a variety of printer drivers that may not be on your CD.

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Be sure to select the correct operating system.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yeah, the shipped drivers are probably 64-bit specific these days, but they may have a usable 32-bit driver on their website.

Comment

The download page does have Win7 32bit. As someone that fixes HPs I can say this... Never use the install disk if you have an internet connection. Always download. The one sub rule to that is if you are using non-OEM toner/ink, make sure the printer doesn't auto-update it's firmware. HP has been sneaking something they call Dynamic Security into the firmware. It causes the printer to error out saying Supply Memory Error with non-OEM. HP says to install OEM and call the maker of the nonOEM and have them update the chips on the toner/ink. The bad thing is that you will be stuck with a set of toner/ink that you can't use because most wont take back open toner/ink.

Comment

Thanks; it worked!

Arcus, thanks for the warning. The printer, fortunately, came with ink, and it's in good shape (undoubtedly OEM). I have no idea how long it'll be before I need more - a good while, I hope.

Printing successful, scanning successful.

Comment

Working...
          X