X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Tipper Banned

http://www.wxii12.com/news/22648863/detail.html

A customer is banned from a restaurant for being a crappy tipper.

On one hand, people have the right to tip or not tip (it should always be based on service) and the restaurant shouldn't be adding gratuity to her bill if the policy states it is only for parties of 6 or more.

On the other hand, if the woman is a serial lousy tipper they have every right to kick her out since it is private property. It's not fair to waiters to be tipped badly just because the person is cheap.

As one commenter said, obviously she likes the place since she keeps going back there so she should tip accordingly.

Thoughts?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I'd say the servers are within their rights to decide they aren't willing to work for free.

Maybe she could work out an arrangement where she could wait her own table, except even the cooks won't cook for her.

Karma is indeed a boomerang.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      I'd say the servers are within their rights to decide they aren't willing to work for free.

Maybe she could work out an arrangement where she could wait her own table, except even the cooks won't cook for her.

Karma is indeed a boomerang.

You also have to look at this from a common sense angle. If you have a reputation as a bad tipper, then the staff isn't exactly going to go out of their way to make you feel welcomed either..
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth cheapskate
        "I noticed on our ticket that they added 18 percent gratuity and there was only two others with me at the time," Covington said.
        Well yeah. The servers don't work for free, ya know. The gratuity is to make sure they actually get something for waiting on your ungrateful ass.

As for her claim of "discrimination," I didn't know poor tippers were now a protected class.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I know that if she ever came up to me to ask me to sign it I'd tell her she's an idiot for expunging so much time and energy and if she didn't like the service then go eat somewhere else, or better yet, learn how to cook at home.

Comment

Finally, someone standing-up for wait staff!

Yeah, excuses excuses, her right not to tip, etc. Well, it's their right not to serve her too! She should have thought about that.

Hmm, then again, what if someone leaves a fair tip at, say %15, but the wait staff feels slighted because it wasn't %20. Or what if it becomes no tip under %25? Could be a slippery slope...
            Last edited by LillFilly; 03-05-2010, 12:26 PM.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Look, I belive in tipping. I only once not tip a waiter, but yeah... I had reasons.

But the fact they just added a 18 increase, (Which is below my tip but hey), is pretty bullshit. Look, even if they get paid minimal wage, they still get paid legal wages, and just because a bitch didn't wanna pay, is no real good reason to ban her. They still get money from the food she pays.
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                Look, even if they get paid minimal wage, they still get paid legal wages, and just because a bitch didn't wanna pay, is no real good reason to ban her. They still get money from the food she pays.
                And if that was what servers get paid, you'd be right. But they don't. I think it varies state to state, but here they get paid two dollars and thirteen cents an hour.

Not only that, but servers get taxed on what they sell, not what they make. So no, they aren't making money from the food she pays for. In fact, it's costing them money to work for her for free.

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm saying that is how it is.

They have a right to say they 'are done paying out of pocket to work for her.

Comment

And if that was what servers get paid, you'd be right. But they don't. I think it varies state to state, but here they get paid two dollars and thirteen cents an hour.
                  In Colorado tips are taxable as well (well, that's the way it used to be, it's been a long time since I've worked in a restaurant). A server will typically report up to the amount necessary in order to be seen as making minimum wage, and pocket the rest. If a server doesn't make enough in tips to make minimum wage, the restaurant has to make up the difference on their checks.

Not only that, but servers get taxed on what they sell, not what they make. So no, they aren't making money from the food she pays for. In fact, it's costing them money to work for her for free.
                  My BS detector has gone off the scale here with this comment. Either you are terribly misinformed, or there is something seriously wrong with the taxes in your state.

I mean, what a server "sells" is not what they make as income, and thus, the only taxes in question should be the establishments. Your average server would owe more in taxes than they could ever make on a busy day. Income tax, is based off the money the server (or any employee) actually makes.

I know tax laws differ from state to state, but I cannot believe a state (and I know that federal is not that way) would do that to a working person.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post

My BS detector has gone off the scale here with this comment. Either you are terribly misinformed, or there is something seriously wrong with the taxes in your state.

Well, sorry about your BS detector malfunctioning. I've worked as a server. The amount you get taxed is equal to ten percent of your total sales.

If you get tipped over that, of course you don't declare it. But Uncle Sam will want a cut equal to ten percent of what the register says you sold. Since the amount of food you carried out to the table that night is reflected in the POS under your server number, you can't say you sold less than you did. There is a paper trail. So if you sell a hundred bucks worth of food, and they stiff you, you still get taxed as if you made ten bucks off of the sale, whether you did or not.

So basically, it just cost you money to serve that table.

When I say "you get taxed on what you sell" what I mean is that the dollar amount of food sold is how they figure your taxes. Not the dollar amount of what you actually have in your apron at the end of the night.
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-07-2010, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Well, sorry about your BS detector malfunctioning. I've worked as a server. The amount you get taxed is equal to ten percent of your total sales.
                      Now THAT makes much more sense. I read your previous comment to mean that if you had $100 in sales, you were taxed on that $100, not 10% of that $100. I can fully see the government doing that. It's complete bullshit, but that's your government for you.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Sorry about that. I should have been clearer.

Comment

AND you also have to remember that the server has to tip-out the bartender, hostess, the busperson, the cook, the janitor, the guy in the Dodge pickup that passed at 7:30pm, the astronaut in the ISS that passed overhead 6 times during their shift, etc. each a small percentage of their total sales maybe like 1% of their sales

SO at the end of the night that server STILL takes home less than you think. throw in a couple of big dollar table stiffs and a server may end up with considerably less at shift end.

legally speaking acording to the IRS you are REQUIRED to report all of your tips not just a certain percentage. even if you never see that money (due to tipping out the persons mentioned above) you still have to report them. yeah I know that sucks but they look at it as YOU earned that money.

and yes if the IRS feels that you are not claiming all of your tips they can and will crawl up your ass and stay there for a good long time.
                          Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-07-2010, 07:57 AM.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I looked up the restaurant in question because I had a suspicion about the nature of the restaurant

http://www.kanpaiw-s.com/

Turns out, I was right. It's not a regular restaurant where you order a meal and the server visits you a few times through the meal.

It's a steakhouse where the chef cooks the food right in front of you at the table and cooking process is literally a one-man show.

I went to one of those with my coworkers back when I was in Virginia. It was pretty good. The man was pretty much amazing, discussing various traits of the food, putting a lot of showy fun into cooking it. It was very exciting.

Comment

Working...
                            X