This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kink's Eternal Kitchen Remodel

It's not entirely finished, but it's finished enough to show off. I am so happy to finally be down to a little minor cosmetic fixes. I've been doing this thing forever.

I need new switchplates, a little touch up paint, a mirror hung, and the existing phone gone. That's pretty much it.

Here are before and after photos of what was the soul destroying, appetitie supressing, Black Hole of despair that was my original kitchen, and how it looks now.

We tore an entire wall out, and pretty much ripped out everything but the cabinets. Those are the original cabinets with some black paint and new hardware.

I took a wrecking bar to the old countertops, which were so shitty I'd close a cabinet door too hard and pieces of tile would fall off. That was very theraputic.

I figured I'm pushing fifty, I am NOT cooking on the same piece of shit stove I was cooking on when I moved out of my parent's house and didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. And it wasn't the same stove, but it sure was the exact same make and model. I had to shim up my pans just to have a level surface. Screw that.

BTW, that tacky light up there is going away. We just got back from Lowes' with a vanload of lighting fixtures for various things.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM.

I put two posts because I couldn't control where the pics go. Or at least, I don't know how.

Anyways, I had a crappy washroom closet in the middle of the room. I do not want a lint spewing drying in my kitchen. Talk about a bad use of space, at least in my opinion. It had mirrored sliding doors, which I guess was the previous owner's attempt to make the kitchen look bigger, but it was just weird.

We ripped that sucker out and put in an alcove with a breakfast nook in it. The "after" shot was taken from the living room looking through the alcove into the kitchen, something that was not possible before we ripped out the closet.
    Attached Files

Comment

pretty! So, so pretty. I bet the living room feels bigger too now, with that wall gone. I'm envious now.
      Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
      Me:

Comment

NICE! More space and stuff that's not falling apart is always good

(I'm a bit disturbed that my chairs are exactly like the one in the "before" pictures, though. I've always liked them.)
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
          NICE! More space and stuff that's not falling apart is always good

(I'm a bit disturbed that my chairs are exactly like the one in the "before" pictures, though. I've always liked them.)
          I kept those chairs, actually. I painted them. One is yellow and one is coral. When I get the eating area neatened up (it's full of tools and paint) I'll show them too.

Those are good, servicable chairs.

Comment

Oooh, nice stove. May I ask what brand? Da Dairy Druid and I may be in the market for a new one if we can't figure what's wrong with the one we have now (hence the purchase of a toaster/convection oven mentioned in another post). We've got our eye on an Frigidaire right now - well, okay, more me than him. I like the warming area and the quick boil option on the front element, plus the one rack that moves when you open the oven door.
            Last edited by fma_fanatic; 03-08-2010, 03:22 AM.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Very awesome....love the choices of color you made.

I love the modern look of chrome/steel/silver with all the dark cabinets.
              Make a list of important things to do today.
              At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
              Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                Oooh, nice stove. May I ask what brand? Da Dairy Druid and I may be in the market for a new one if we can't figure what's wrong with the one we have now (hence the purchase of a toaster/convection oven mentioned in another post). We've got our eye on an Frigidaire right now - well, okay, more me than him. I like the warming area and the quick boil option on the front element, plus the one rack that moves when you open the oven door.
                All the appliances are Fridgedaire. I loved the tubular styling (which, unfortunately, has been discontinued evidently). They still have new styles that look very similar, the handles are just slightly different. (long story there about that, but I paid something like a hundred bucks on that fridge you see there due to a combo of gift cards and delivery mix ups. True.)

I am happy with all the appliances. And those glass top convection stoves are better now than a year ago, when I got mine. Mine does have the warming zone, but no quick boil, no warming drawer, and only one fan in the oven. My sister just got one with all those features.

I wanted to do sort of a "modern-vintage" mix. My dishes are very colorful and whimsical. So I wanted to show off the colors (and hide the flaws in the old cabinets.) The combo of black and steel is very stark, which I like, but then I wanted to warm it up with brightly colored accents and that Victorian tin backsplash (which isn't really tin, BTW. Very affordable in small areas.)

Comment

At least you old appliances weren't that puke-harvest gold color that was popular for about 30 minutes in the 1970s.

Kitchen looks very nice.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous!!

I love the tin backing. I want to do the same in my kitchen, but in copper-ish.

Can I come over and cook?

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

The tin was actually not too hard to put up. It's a very convincing plastic fake. You can cut it with tin snips or heavy scissors and stick it to the wall with this very sticky double sided tape you can buy with it. I managed to do that whole job with six sheets of the stuff. Cost me about a hundred twenty bucks, but really, you can't beat the effect. I love it so much I think the splurge was worth it. You can get matching sheets of adhesive mylar to do your switchplates with.

I was so tempted to use the copper color. I love copper. But I think it might have been too dark for the dark countertops and black cabinets. I was really giving it hard thought, though.

One thing I learned putting it up was that there does not seem to be true right angle anywhere in my kitchen.
                      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't have wanted copper against the stainless steel appliances; just seems like it would look off.

Anyway, what you got looks great!
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                        X