X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuck!

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/visit...lk-cheese.html

Breast milk cheese???

Reminds me of when PETA tried to force Ben&Jerry's ice cream to use human milk instead of cow's milk.

B&J's laughed at them for months.

Comment

Well, technically.... all milk comes from breasts. Cows, goats, sheep, human, etc.

But I get what you mean, kinda feels like cannibalism a little bit. I am wondering though, since it takes alot of milk to make a little bit of cheese, how the owner's wife does it? Does she have IV lines hooked up, a permanent breast pump???

Why are you looking at me like that? I'm just curious. And I might try it at least once....maybe
      Last edited by r2cagle; 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM.
      Make a list of important things to do today.
      At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
      Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
        Well, technically.... all milk comes from breasts. Cows, goats, sheep, human, etc.

But I get what you mean, kinda feels like cannibalism a little bit. I am wondering though, since it takes alot of milk to make a little bit of cheese, how the owner's wife does it? Does she have IV lines hooked up, a permanent breast pump???

Why are you looking at me like that? I'm just curious. And I might try it at least once....maybe
        Hm, over here it is possible for mothers with enough breast milk to sell some of it to the hospitals who then freezes it down and keeps it in stock for premature born babies and/or babies who are allergic to conventional milk formula.

Since the company in question is a restaurant who produce the cheese themselves, and I bet that this special dish is on the expensive end, I guess that they don't need more than two, maybe 3 "suppliers" who deliver the "goods" once a week.

EDIT: I've read the article stating that it's made from the owner's wife... somehow I think that she PRODUCES the cheese, not that she delivers all the milk that is required.
        Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-10-2010, 06:45 PM.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

.... o. i figured that's what they meant... that it was her own milk...

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
            Hm, over here it is possible for mothers with enough breast milk to sell some of it to the hospitals who then freezes it down and keeps it in stock for premature born babies and/or babies who are allergic to conventional milk formula.
            Thorgrim sent me the link. Was wondering how long it'd take.

As for the quote above, there are "milk banks" set up in various places (there's at least one in Australia I know of) that allow for mums who produce either too much, or who want to donate all their unused pumped breast milk, to donate it. The one I heard will allow donations for up to six months after the birth.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Using human breast milk to make cheese? Udderly gross!
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I would think there could be some health concerns with that...
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  I would think there could be some health concerns with that...
                  No worse than with milk from other animals. It should probably be pasteurized like anything else.

I'm torn...I feel kind of grossed out by the whole thing...but at the same time milk is milk is milk......so I dunno.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Ehe, as long as the woman have clean bills of health and don't take growth hormones, why not?

Hmm, what's next? Dog's milk for your tea? It's full of goodness, dog's milk. Full of vitamins and minerals and marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other kind of milk, dog's milk! (Points to who gets the reference!)
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                      Ehe, as long as the woman have clean bills of health and don't take growth hormones, why not?

Hmm, what's next? Dog's milk for your tea? It's full of goodness, dog's milk. Full of vitamins and minerals and marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other kind of milk, dog's milk! (Points to who gets the reference!)
                      Red Dwarf. 'Of Course, nobody will drink it, but it doesn't matter, because it tastes the same when it's gone off'

Comment

Working...
                      X