This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .. now the Pacific plate is shifting.

Not surprising, after a magnitude 7 earthquake hit Japan the other day, a massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Chile.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T1

This is where the strongest earthquake ever recorded happened. There are reports of serious building collapses / damage.

Tsunami warning has been issued - this quake, if the right type, could produce a good sized one similar to what we saw in 2004. The sad thing is that it could be en route to the entire North and South American Pacific coast.
    Last edited by draggar; 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

OMG, I just heard of this. First haiti, now this? What next?

I am utterly terrified right now.

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
      OMG, I just heard of this. First haiti, now this? What next?

I am utterly terrified right now.
      Dude, you and me both. That is some scary shit.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I've said it before, earthquakes scare the *censored long string of words* out of me. I can handle anything the atmosphere dishes out, but moving earth?? NO thank you.
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

ahhh i was just going to post about this too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022701652.html

Tsunami warnings in effect for Asia, Australia, and Hawaii

i guess it's bigger than the one that hit haiti
          not sure if it did more or less damage tho

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

Tsunami warnings in effect for Asia, Australia, and Hawaii

Don't forget New Zealand. Was predicted for the first wave to hit about 15 min ago.

These earthquakes are starting to scare me. Suddenly I am not so happy with living on the ring of fire.

Comment

ooo sorry! stay safe!!

Comment

Think we will be fine, first wave reached 20cm. My thoughts are going out to the pacfic islands though.

Comment

I didn't hear about Japan (I've been sick; haven't actually been paying much attention to the world) but my mom mentioned this one to me this morning.

Something I've always wondered: How do they tell the difference between an aftershock and a separate quake?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I didnt know about Japan til now... Sadly, i have friends in Japan and Hawaii right now...(and of course all the CS'ers in Aus and NZ) Stay safe all...Thought and prayers with everyone.

Comment

I don't understand, a tsunami is about to hit Hawaii and there are loads of people on the beach waiting to welcome it, as shown on news feed, sky uk?
                      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                        I don't understand, a tsunami is about to hit Hawaii and there are loads of people on the beach waiting to welcome it, as shown on news feed, sky uk?
                        People aren't very smart?
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          People aren't very smart?
                          Natural selection?

They've been pulling surfers out of the water.
                          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            I didn't hear about Japan (I've been sick; haven't actually been paying much attention to the world) but my mom mentioned this one to me this morning.

Something I've always wondered: How do they tell the difference between an aftershock and a separate quake?
                            I'm not sure of the exacts but aftershocks usually happen in the same area - maybe the same epicenter.

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                            Stupidity? I guess they forgot about 2004?
                            Quote Dalesys:
                            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Tsunami damage photos are beginning to come in...

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5062715
                              http://www.geofffox.com/MT/images/Damage.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X