This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um... That is not how it works

This is my first actual story post, but this one I just had to share.

Something that happened tonight reminded me of an old call. I work in a call center that PC support and we offer a Pay for

Support Service. My Call when something like this

Me: TechGoddes that I am
    SL: Stupid Lady
    TL: My Old Sup, how I miss him so

<Me>: Thank you for calling I was told you have an issue with connecting to the network
    <SL>: Yes, lost connection yesterday, blah, blah
    ***Fast Forward 10 minutes later of a really simple fix
    <Me>: Okay, you are back online and all set to go here today, you have 5 days to call back if the problem persist.

<SL>: I want refund (Huh, WTF? I just fixed your problem)

<Me>: I am sorry ma'am I don't understand.

<SL>: You fixed it too fast and I want a refund because I think that it was too easy.
    ***um... yea, but you sure as hell did not know how to do it or you would not have called***

<Me>: I am sorry, but we do not provide refunds for that type of an issue. We were able to resolve your problem and will warranty our work for 5 days...

<SL>: I want to speak to your Manager
    ***place lady on hold and go get my Sup, it took me 5 minutes to
    convience him that I was not joking and that I really had this on my phone.

<TL>: Thank you for hold I hear that you are seeking a refund but I also see that we have resolved your issue?

<SL>: Yes, it was too easy I don't feel that I should be charged for something that simple.

<TL>:*laughing very hard at this point* I am sorry you feel that way, but we do not play a time limit or diffuculty level on the services that we provide, some of them are easy and fast other are more time consuming it all depends on your issue.

<SL>: That does not matter, I should not have to pay for something that took 10 minutes. I should of known how to do that already...

<TL>: *beginning to be in pain he laughing so hard* I understand how you feel ma'am but we do not provide refunds especially when we have resolved the problem.
    ****This went on for about 10 minutes back in forth repeating the same thing.***

<SL> Fine, since you obviously don't care about your customers I am going to get a lawyer and go to the Better Business Bureau. I cannot belived this is the type of service that you offer...<click>

We took a smoke break and laughed alot. I love the logic that SC's have: You fixed me to fast so I want my money back...

Anyone else encounter these gems?
    Tell me, "Who lit the fuse on your Tampon?"

Yes

But in my cases instead of asking for a refund, they demand the secret of the trick I used to fix their machine.

When told it was basically, study, study, study and lots of experience they refuse to believe me, demand the secret trick.

If I try to explain step by step what is needed, and the branches in logic as you encounter different conditions they told me to hurry up and show the 'trick'.

Guess what happens when they don't listen and try the same 'trick' on a friend's computer.

Comment

In a situation like this, I go with the motto: "I'm paid for what I know, not what I do." If you knew how to fix it, you wouldn't be calling. You danced, time to pay the piper.

I have a case similar to this. In our situation, we're contractors. If you want something done, you have to put in either a) a help desk ticket or b) a service request. Option a is when it used to work and now it doesn't. Option b is when it never worked that way before and you want it changed, or you want something completely new. (Many people call in option a for option b, thinking they can cut costs. Nice try, I'm on to your little game...)

So anyways, a lady re-arranges her office, and now her cable is too short. She needs a longer one. Per protocol, she puts in a service request. All service requests have to be verified by site management as being necessary, so when the site manager gets it, he cancels it as 'trivial'. He believes I should have to just do it. BZZZZT, I'm sorry, you are incorrect, but thank you for playing.

So I call him:

Me: "If she wants a new cable, a service request has to be in for it."
      SM: "That's ridiculous. I can walk down the hall and just get one." *Then why didn't she dumbass?*
      Me: "If I have to swap out the cable, then I must have a service request."
      SM: "I should not have to put one in for something so trivial. It'd take you less than 5 minutes."
      Me: "It's standard procedure, and we have to follow it for all sites."
      SM: "Prove it. I want you to find me examples of something like this."
      Me: "Certainly."

I found over 4 dozen requests in the system from all over the company for the same thing. He didn't budge, though, and thus the cable was never swapped. The lady ended up putting her office back the way it was.
      Last edited by IT Grunt; 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth raven_illusion View Post
        <SL>: ...I should of known how to do that already...

Yes, you should have.

But you didn't.

And that kind of stupidity is our bread and butter.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I am, frankly, shocked at this. I get regularly praised for waltzing in to someone's office and fixing an issue in ten minutes. People are actually GRATEFUL that the issue can be fixed that quickly. Some people don't know when they have it good.

I vote all such complainers be relegated to a 286 desktop with Windows 3.1 until they can properly appreciate their tech support. Further infractions will result in me pulling out the TRS-80 and Lotus-1-2-3 cartridge I keep in the closet.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Better yet, make them use e-machines tech support. My roomate had one, and had to call them once, they charged her $100, then left her on hold for 3 1/2 HOURS, when she finally got to talk to someone, they basically didn't know jack squat, and told her that they didn't know what to do and HUNG UP! She tried calling back the next night, and sat on hold for 4 hours before giving up.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Get this allllll the time. You tell a customer that its going to be $X.XX to create a case and put them in touch with an engineer and the whine starts 'But its just a quick and easy question!' Well, if its so easy, why dont you find the answer yourself?

You pay the mechanic $40/hour+ to fix your car when AutoZone or PepBoys is right around the corner and would just sell you the parts, dont you? Sure you do. Same thing, cough up or shut up, I have other people waiting behind you.

Comment

Working...
              X